RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #1

Gauge malfunction

Lost all gauges this morning. All accessories are working. I was even able to start engine. Checked front fuse panel and all appeared to be working. All suggestions welcome.

Tleader51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tleader51 View Post
Lost all gauges this morning. All accessories are working. I was even able to start engine. Checked front fuse panel and all appeared to be working. All suggestions welcome.

It would help a lot if you add info about make, model, etc. of RV in your signature line. If it's an older model, check for a loose ground connection under dash. You might use a wire to create a new ground path to test. If a newer diesel, it might be a problem with the computer that regulates engine and sends signals to the dash. The computer can get water in it or it could be a loose/bad connector in the cable. Since the engine started, it doesn't sound if the computer is bad, but again it's just a guess since I don't know if it's new/old, diesel, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #3

2005 Winnebago Journey 39K
Tleader51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A known problem with the FL chassis. If you are a good elect troubleshooter, you may find a poor ground, or broken wire.
Wife just hollered and said I need to get dressed for a NY Party.
I will get back later with links to this problem.
Check posts by Scott (Fire up)
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Back from the party! Happy New Year.

Search for posts on VDV and MMDC or Google the same. Good luck and post for more info and your success.

check here Could this be an MMDC problem?
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #6

We have a 2001 Horizon, and had to replace the VCM. That was a few years ago, so don't recall the cost. It was mounted in the engine compartment under the top cover. Simple plug in and 4 bolts holding it onto the firewall. Solved the gauge problem.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Call the Freightliner help desk (free service). Have the last 6 digits of your VIN number handy. They can give you some troubleshooting directions.
1 800 385-4357

They are good.

Fred
Old 01-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Tleader51,
Well Sir, I just read your post today, on the 3rd. Well, this could be a serious night mare, or, it also could be a simple fix. I need to ask a few questions before I can answer you accurately.

1. You say you lost all gauges. Does your fuel gauge work? Air pressure gauges?

2. Does your "cruise control" work?

3. Does your "Exhaust brake" work?

4. Do you have the "Medallion Information Center" in your dash?

5. If so, does it say anything when you either start your rig, are driving it, or, at anytime at all and, if so, exactly "what" does it say in that LCD screen?

6. Are any of the colored icons lighting up in the Annunciator panel? (that's the panel on your dash that has all the colored icons that light up when you turn the ignition on? And if any light up, which ones?

You see, at this point, until you send that other information on your issue, I hesitate to tell you what I think you may have as a problem. The "MMDC" or, "VDC" does not control your engine. Those are two different computers, that came in different model year coaches. The VDC or, Vehicle Data Computer is the predecessor of the MMDC or, Multi-Module-Data-Computer.

Those two computers, simply gather information from your engines ECM, your transmissions ECM and your ABS Brake module and, decipher it, then convert it to a language that your gauges can understand. There's more to it than that but, that's the basic operation of either one of them. The VDC was used on prior models up to the change over to the MMDC.

The MMDC, which in your year coach, should be the version you should have, can be located in a couple of different places. In our Itasca Horizon 36GD with C-7 330 CAT, it's located in the left front compartment, in front of the left front tire.

But, on the Journeys, I'm not too sure where it could be.

But, again, I'd need those questions answered before I go any farther with an explanation of what could be your problem. Otherwise, I'd be blabbering about technical stuff that may not apply to your situation.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have a 2003 Itasca Horizon 39QD. I had the same problem. Lost all of the gauges, motor ran fine. I have to say my first sign of a problem was the cruise control quit working. The ground strap is on the steering column. Mine has two side by side, lots of ground wires. It took care of the problem. Good luck.
Mikey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #10

Sorry, I'm a little late to this party. I have a 2000 Itasca Horizon, sister to the Journey. I have the same problem, but I'm not 100% sure how relevant my experience is as my coach is a bit older than yours. In my case, I traced it to the master connection at the back of the instrument panel where all the input wires plug in. It is loose and if I jiggle it, I can induce the failure or make them start working again. Mine normally work, but will fail intermittently while driving.

I haven't gotten around to trying to permanently repair. Sometimes they come back by themselves and sometimes a little whack on the top of the panel does it. I also installed a ScanGauge D, so I have a backup speedo, tach, temp, etc.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagnweiner View Post
Sorry, I'm a little late to this party. I have a 2000 Itasca Horizon, sister to the Journey. I have the same problem, but I'm not 100% sure how relevant my experience is as my coach is a bit older than yours. In my case, I traced it to the master connection at the back of the instrument panel where all the input wires plug in. It is loose and if I jiggle it, I can induce the failure or make them start working again. Mine normally work, but will fail intermittently while driving.

I haven't gotten around to trying to permanently repair. Sometimes they come back by themselves and sometimes a little whack on the top of the panel does it. I also installed a ScanGauge D, so I have a backup speedo, tach, temp, etc.
I ended up calling the Freightliner helpline, they sent me Service Bulletin 54-12. It walks you thru testing the Message Center and the VDC. I found my 15-pin harness had a bad ground. A single 16gauge wire did the trick. I had spent $110.00 on a new sending unit and $267.00 on a new gauge, it was a simple grounding problem that would have been a free fix. I was able to return the gauge, minus a $50 restocking fee, but I have a perfectly useable fuel tank sending unit sitting in my garage. I learned a valuable lesson, call the helpline first. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #12

I have 2002 Itasca Horizon 39QD
I Have lost fuel gage (stuck at Empty Slight movement when key turned on)
I have lost Message sender no lights displayed other than turn signals working.
I Can't reset trip or view information other than current miles. I assume rocker switch next to message sender (right Side) is for trip reset???
Cruise is working for warming up engine have not tried it for trips yet.
Don't know about Exhaust brakes.
I just bought this motor home.
Other than in front of motor home where are all the fuse panels at for Dash panel?
Trying to install a ScanGauge D, sales person told me any 5 Year old could find the connector, I can not find any round connector to plug it into. Anyone got a 5 year old I can borrow?
bruce Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce Dixon View Post
I have 2002 Itasca Horizon 39QD
I Have lost fuel gage (stuck at Empty Slight movement when key turned on)
I have lost Message sender no lights displayed other than turn signals working.
I Can't reset trip or view information other than current miles. I assume rocker switch next to message sender (right Side) is for trip reset???
Cruise is working for warming up engine have not tried it for trips yet.
Don't know about Exhaust brakes.
I just bought this motor home.
Other than in front of motor home where are all the fuse panels at for Dash panel?
Trying to install a ScanGauge D, sales person told me any 5 Year old could find the connector, I can not find any round connector to plug it into. Anyone got a 5 year old I can borrow?
Call the Freightliner help desk at 1-800-385-4357 available 24/7. Great technical help and they are very friendly. They can email you service bulletin 54-12. It will walk you through the diagnostic steps to get the message center back up. I would first suggest pulling the cowling off the back of the dashboard and checking the grounds on the steering column braces below the message center. Yes the rocker switch is for the odometer trip reset. Hold it about 4 seconds for it to reset. When you turn on the key, the fuel gauge should flutter near empty a couple of seconds after the key is turned on. This means the gauges are good. Call the help desk, they will get you going. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce Dixon View Post
Bruce-

It's down there. If I recall, mine was just to the left side of the steering column. The problem is that there is just a mass of wires in front of it. Start feeling behind wires. I think I found it first by feel. Once I found it, it was also difficult to pry the wires away enough to get the connector on. It is very tight.

I would take a picture for you, but I won't be able to go over to my coach until Saturday. If you still haven't found it by then, let me know.

Once I got the connector installed, I ran the cord up under the dash. I took the cover for the dash "pod" off and ran it out the back of that. I mounted the ScanGauge on top of the dash.

Good luck.