RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #1

Hitch Receiver Height

Just had a base plate, etc installed on Honda CR-V. needs a 4" drop receiver. But i saw some where that the height of the rear end of a MH changes with loading. Since I measure 18.5 inches with just a full tank of D.

I was wondering if any one knows how much the back end drops when ready to travel. I have a 42 foot fleetwood providence.

Thanks Rob

Ro6ert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro6ert View Post
Just had a base plate, etc installed on Honda CR-V. needs a 4" drop receiver. But i saw some where that the height of the rear end of a MH changes with loading. Since I measure 18.5 inches with just a full tank of D.

I was wondering if any one knows how much the back end drops when ready to travel. I have a 42 foot fleetwood providence.

Thanks Rob
Rob,
Kind-a hard to follow some thing here. OK, you installed a base plate on a CRV, correct? Are you saying that, based on the attachment points on the base plate, and, the height of the center of the 2" receiver on your coach, you think you'll need a 4" drop slider to fit into that receiver? Well, that sounds about right.

And a full load of "D"?? I'm maybe assuming you mean Diesel? What about water for the fresh water tank, all the provisions you'll be carrying?

Anyway, your diesel coach rides on air bags. Those amount of air in the bags, is determined by the "RIDE HEIGHT SENSORS" on each axle. In most coaches, there's 2 in the rear and one in the front. But, that can be opposite too, depending on who installed them at the factory. Freightliner does not stipulate front or back for the two.

In any case, those ride height sensors are set at a certain measurement from certain points to points on the suspension. If and when those ride height sensors see something different than the set measurement, they either add air or, bleed it off, to keep things as they should be.

Your ride height will remain the same, no matter how much diesel and water and, anything else you've loaded into the coach. It may fluctuate by a 1/2" or so but, that's it. That's not enough to worry about when choosing a drop slider. Just park your coach and the CRV on level ground, measure the height from the ground to the center of the 2" receiver and, the center of the attachment pins on the CRV and, subtract the difference.

You'll be good to go.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #3

My coach only drops marginally if at all when I hook up a 28' trailer with 1100#'s of tongue weight.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:25 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Our CRV also has needed a 4" drop with our last two coaches. I don't think our coach drops when loaded, if it does, I can't tell it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #5

Thanks Guys for the quick response. They are just what I needed to have the confidence about buying a drop receiver. I did not think of the air bags keeping the height about the same. Thanks again, Rob
Old 07-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #6

Depending on brand of hitch--I have heard things along the line of "baseplate to hitch within 2" of level, high or low." My personal view is that I would never think of towing with a toad plate higher than the MH hitch. So, in MHO, level to 2" lower toad plate is acceptable.....as measured on level ground, with air bags up, no adjustment for fuel, water, baggage or passengers.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here is an option that is more permanent and you don't have to deal with a drop hitch. I had a hitch shop weld a second receiver on my hitch. It lowers the receiver about 3.5 inches.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hitch Receiver Height

Ro6ert..... I tow a Honda Element and I use a 6 in riser in the MH receiver to get my tow bar level. I can't recall the published parameters for tow bar level, but I know it's fairly narrow. For all practical purposes, if the bar *looks* off level it needs adjustment.

John & Diane, Fulltime since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:12 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Only way to tell is load it since you and I will load differently.

Then measure and then go to the hitch store and get the drop (if any) needed

Suggestion.. If you find you only need a couple inches... Get a dual adapter (one drop one rise or one drop one straight through.

That way you can add a bicycle carrier if you wish or something else on th upper part.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:24 AM   #10

A DP has ride height sensors. Assuming the coach has been running long enough to inflate the bags, the ride height is established/pre-determined. As long as there is no mechanical malfunction of some type, or gross overload, that hitch height isn't going to change much, no matter how the coach is loaded.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
A DP has ride height sensors. Assuming the coach has been running long enough to inflate the bags, the ride height is established/pre-determined. As long as there is no mechanical malfunction of some type, or gross overload, that hitch height isn't going to change much, no matter how the coach is loaded.
Yep,
That's what I told him.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #12

Update: Well bought a 4" drop receiver over the internet from a good source. but Drop receiver hole is to far away from end to be able to put pin in. Would have to cut off about a half an inch to be able to get the pin in. Darn.
But, Got to looking at and saw nothing was aligned from the receiver(insert) to the drop receiver. up, down, parallel, twist in the piece that fits into the MH receiver. Only off a few degrees but plainly visible. Looks like it is going back. now looking around Dallas for one that I can see before I purchase.

Dutch Star Don: that looks like a nice setup. do you use that wheel on the bottom much?
Old 07-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #13

Auto supplies, and even Walmart supply drop bars.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:39 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The wheel only dragged on occasion while traversing driveways. It was set so that the tow bar insert never dragged.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote