Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #1

How long does your coach hold air pressure?

I have a 2013 THOR Palazzo on an XC chassis. When you setup the coach you flip the lever forward so the suspension "kneels/lowers" then you deploy the leveling jacks.

When I setup the rig as described above, late in the afternoon, by the next morning when I start up the rig, the air pressure on both gauges shows 0. It takes a few minutes to air up then were off.

Heres my questions: Is it normal to lose all air pressure in this scenario? Is it normal to lose it all this quick?

Otherwise it sounds like I might have some leaks I need to get the soap bottle out to track down.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds normal to me.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The way to test this is to park it with engine off, parking brake set, and not to lower the the coach air bag dump. It should stay this way safely for 24 hours without dropping/kneeling, and air pressure should remain unchanged. If the air does leak, then you have a problem to be fixed.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
The air pressure can drop some,but should read above 65 psi.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #5

You have a leak if you are reading zero in less than 24 hours...somewhere...is your park break holding?
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
FWIW: I do not have air suspension, on shutdown at 125 psi, I can leave the coach sit for 2-3 weeks and pressure is still 115 to 120 psi. Unless there is a leak, the system should hold pressure.

The air brake test, Static loss, engine off, 125psi, parking brake off, should not lose more than 2 psi in one minute. Or with brakes applied at 90 psi pressure, can lose 3 psi in 1 minute. Both sound like a big loss...but by the test are good to go.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Estes View Post
You have a leak if you are reading zero in less than 24 hours...somewhere...is your park break holding?
Yes, the parking brake holds. Remember, the parking brake works by releasing air from the brake pod. So when all the air is gone the brake is fully applied and you can't release it until you apply pressure.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
The way to test this is to park it with engine off, parking brake set, and not to lower the the coach air bag dump. It should stay this way safely for 24 hours without dropping/kneeling, and air pressure should remain unchanged. If the air does leak, then you have a problem to be fixed.
I'll give this a try, thanks.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes it's normal, when I talked to my sales man and a mechanic before buying my 2013 palazzo this was one of the questions I had, they explained in a bunch of detail but to make it simple when I put the lever in lower position I am dumping the air from the air ride and the whole system. So in short no need to worry and a way to speed up filling is to start your coach and with it still parked( tranny in neutral and break on) turn on and set cruise control usually fills my tanks in a few min.
jimbooth25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRandy View Post
Yes, the parking brake holds. Remember, the parking brake works by releasing air from the brake pod. So when all the air is gone the brake is fully applied and you can't release it until you apply pressure.
The park break will hold with 0 pressure, it is designed this way.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The park break is a spring brake that is designed to come on automatically at around 40#, I believe. To test it, turn your engine off when you have full pressure,push the E brake in, turn the key back on and pump the air pressure down. As it goes down your low air will come about 60# and the E brake button will pop out at about 40#. Don' t worry about it rolling as you should be pushing it enuff to keep the regular brakes on.
I am required to do this every day in my school bus the first time in a day the bus goes out.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
The park break is a spring brake that is designed to come on automatically at around 40#, I believe. To test it, turn your engine off when you have full pressure,push the E brake in, turn the key back on and pump the air pressure down. As it goes down your low air will come about 60# and the E brake button will pop out at about 40#. Don' t worry about it rolling as you should be pushing it enuff to keep the regular brakes on.
I am required to do this every day in my school bus the first time in a day the bus goes out.
All part of the air brake training / knowledge, that every one driving with air brakes should have ; and an increasing number of states and provinces now require.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRandy View Post
I have a 2013 THOR Palazzo on an XC chassis. When you setup the coach you flip the lever forward so the suspension "kneels/lowers" then you deploy the leveling jacks.

When I setup the rig as described above, late in the afternoon, by the next morning when I start up the rig, the air pressure on both gauges shows 0. It takes a few minutes to air up then were off.

Heres my questions: Is it normal to lose all air pressure in this scenario? Is it normal to lose it all this quick?

Otherwise it sounds like I might have some leaks I need to get the soap bottle out to track down.
Had my service at Freightliner last week. I reported to them that I was lossing air pressure in the bags over night. They found a leak in a line near the front left bag.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #14

Our coach , with the air bags left inflated will hold 65 psi or better for 2 weeks.When the pressure gets down to 65 psi, it stays there.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote