Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump Jumper View Post
Does this now indicate that the compressor is running loaded all of the time since my pressure NEVER moves from 125 and the air dryer keeps spitting so frequently?
Your compressor isn't pumping (compressing air) all the time. Not to worry. You've done everything in the area of preventive maintenance. I'd write it off as the nature of the beast. After all, the more it spits, the more moisture that gets expelled.

Have you drained all your tanks?
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #44

OK, thanks again for all of the help!
Old 06-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #45

I think I am finally getting a handle on the whole air system thing. One last question, my governor only has two small air lines connected to it. There is one connected to the reservoir port which connects to the "wet" tank. The other line is connected to the unloader port on the governor and it runs to the side of the dryer. Based on this, how is the compressor getting the signal to unload?
Old 06-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #46

I did some work on my Haldex pure air plus using the major repair kit,DQ 6020, and I started having the same problem you are experiencing. In my case it turned out that I had installed a rubber part incorrectly, backwards. Maybe there is a problem with some part in the air dryer that this kit can fix.

Don
rvndonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #47

Quote:
I think I am finally getting a handle on the whole air system thing. One last question, my governor only has two small air lines connected to it. There is one connected to the reservoir port which connects to the "wet" tank. The other line is connected to the unloader port on the governor and it runs to the side of the dryer. Based on this, how is the compressor getting the signal to unload?
When the air pressure in the reservoir reaches the governor setting, it opens and pressurizes the unloaders. Your governor must be mounted right on the compressor, right?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #48

Yes, the governor is bolted directly to the compressor. However, the gasket between the governor and the compressor is solid where the unloader port is, so I don't know how the compressor can get a signal from the system. Is it possible that at some point an incorrect gasket was installed? Also, I did order the air dryer major repair kit and will install that soon, just to make sure that I have ruled out everything with the air dryer.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #49

Quote:
Yes, the governor is bolted directly to the compressor. However, the gasket between the governor and the compressor is solid where the unloader port is,
There should be a hole between the 2 bolts holding the governor onto the compressor. Do you see any small (as in 1/4") lines going to the head of the compressor. If your pressure never exceeds 125 psi, the compressor is unloading somehow. I'll see if we have a Freightliner on the lot close to the same model year as yours and look it over.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #50

I don't see any small lines on the head at all. Since the governor is bolted directly to the head, I figured that the unload signal was going directly from the governor to the unloader valve in the head. However, since the one unloader port on the head does not have a plug in it, but is blocked by the gasket, I thought that maybe the compressor is not getting the proper signal to unload. (Thought that maybe someone installed an incorrect gasket since most of the gaskets that I have seen are open in the middle). I appreciate all of your time and help!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #51

Quote:
I don't see any small lines on the head at all. Since the governor is bolted directly to the head, I figured that the unload signal was going directly from the governor to the unloader valve in the head. However, since the one unloader port on the head does not have a plug in it, but is blocked by the gasket, I thought that maybe the compressor is not getting the proper signal to unload. (Thought that maybe someone installed an incorrect gasket since most of the gaskets that I have seen are open in the middle). I appreciate all of your time and help!
That center hole should be punched out. Maybe that's causing the excess spitting. Still, since air pressure quits at 125 psi, it is unloading but maybe only through leakage in the gasket. Inspect that gasket as that center hole should be a "punch out".
Old 06-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #52

Pulled the governor off and took a look at the gasket. It does have a punch out in the middle. Don't know what I was thinking, I could have sworn that it was solid. Also got the repair kit for the bottom of the dryer. Got the dryer off tonight and will try to get the new parts installed and get the dryer reinstalled either tomorrow night or the next. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all of the help so far.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #53

Installed the repair kit in the lower part of the air dryer. It looked like the rubber disc that is screwed onto the turbo valve was deteriorated. Fired up the motorhome and now everything seems to work like it should. No more purging of the air dryer every 20 seconds!! Pumped the brakes to bleed off air and the compressor built pressure, purged at about 125psi and then held. Problem solved, thanks to all of your help. I love this site!!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 05:22 AM   #54

Quote:
Installed the repair kit in the lower part of the air dryer. It looked like the rubber disc that is screwed onto the turbo valve was deteriorated. Fired up the motorhome and now everything seems to work like it should. No more purging of the air dryer every 20 seconds!!
Excellent! There's another thread started along these lines. Find it and compare notes as to what kind of air drier you each have. He may need the same repair kit you got.

All the best

Tags
motorhome