Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #29

Ya know folks,
You pay anywhere from $20K to $200K for these rolling Kleenex boxes and then whine about a $120 air filter. Yep, a very, very large percentage of the air filters are NOT SERVICEABLE. You have to buy the whole canister, big deal. I've replaced mine TWICE in the 8 years and 47,000 miles of ownership. And, I've found those two filters in seconds by calling a local Freightliner parts supply and telling them what the part number was/is. I'm a member of the DTNA or, formally known as "Access Freightliner". And, it's really simple to get that status.

Once you're in, you log onto their site and, you punch in your last 6 of your VIN and, you'll have every single part and part number that used in the construction of your coach's chassis. And that's from front to back, side to side and top to bottom, OF THE CHASSIS, not the body. Tie rod ends, chassis parts, hoses, bearings, shims, ANYTHING that was used in your coach's chassis, is there, for you to see, look at and tell parts suppliers what you need. Done. It sure worked slick for me when I just did a total major maintenance at the rear of my C-7 CAT. They (the parts counter folks at a local Freightliner Service Center in Kingman AZ) were astounded at the fact that I had ALL the part numbers for hoses, thermostats, belts, AIR CLEANER, and anything else I was replacing.

They had 99% of it in stock and, whatever they didn't have, was there the next day from Phoenix. GREAT SERVICE.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
air filter

took me 3 yrs to get air filter for my 92 Itasca DP its a 3 part Motorhome. says its a Osh Kosh Chassis built in 92 and Freightliner took over after 94. but has a Ford Dash -Key and steering column ? I gave chassis serial no and RV serial no to Winnebago./.they said to call Frieght liner many times with them sending wrong air filters 3 times. luckily they paid to return.i finally asked on here for owner of same RV. he said they cannister was changed up in 94 to some jobber thing. no part no is on my filter or cannister..so I bite the bullet and took the Motorhome to local friend that runs a HD truck repair shop who had 2 in stock at $75 each.have spare now. now I can hear the air sucking in from the opening on side of Motorhome. going thru same issues with finding a starter and a alternator to carry for a spare. found a starter from Total parts Canada for $168 Frieghliner and Napa want over $700 ??? Alternator out of stock
Old 05-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Try looking at K&N Washable
n5979u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5979u View Post
Not on my coach. K&N will save money on air filter replacement but won't save you a dime on engine repairs.
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5979u View Post
K&N doesn't offer washable air filters for diesels anymore.

They couldn't meet the specs.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:18 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
They make one now that just wash with pressure no oil added just clean and blow dry
n5979u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
K&N doesn't offer washable air filters for diesels anymore.

They couldn't meet the specs.
I would be very cautious using them. Brother changed to K&N a few years ago and now is awaiting an engine exchange but part of it was the bottom of the fitting wasn't quite right so not all the filter, but again be careful
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #36

I wouldn't use a K&N on a mini bike much less a very expensive diesel.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetgard for me, never had problems with any of them. Amazon is good most for price if they have it. You can try filterbarn.com. Power Club members save 10% on parts at Cummins, and assume FL gives some sort of discount as well.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:25 AM   #38

I have a 2002 Bounder with a 5.9L on a Freightliner. I agree with the gentleman who said to get the number off the filter that is in there now. I did and was able to cross reference it to a WIX number. Believe it or not Rock Auto had the best price. It was $10 more than ebay, but it was only $7.50 to ship it. Ebay wanted $40. It is a complete canister type filter. That it how they're designed for the chassis. Every diesel I've seen on a Freightliner has the canister type filter, no matter if it's powered by a CAT or a Cummins. Hope this helps.
TDebrocke55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Looks the same from 50 feet. Mine is 18"x9.8'" None of the filters on your link are that size. I told you mine is "special".
Oscarvan, I just found out this last air filter change that the original number given to me by Freightliner was the wrong filter

The change before the service facility actually had the correct filter with the different name and said it was the same however as you can see mine actually turned out to be the same size or very close anyway to yours. it does have 6 inch in and out

094973004 by RACOR FILTERS was the one that fit which was shorter than the number supplied by Freightliner
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner