Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Information Center - Set Time

I replaced the info center with the easier-to-use version. Since I can actually see the display, I thought it would be nice to set the clock. Following the Freightliner manual that came with the coach I went to the Alarm - Time/Date menu. According to the manual, I should press "E" and then I should see "AM/PM". Instead, all I see is a 24 hour-format clock which I can toggle between 12 and 24 hour with the down arrow. It says I should get a "SET" message, but I don't.

Is there a different way to set the clock in the new info center? Anyone with a retrofitted IC or owners of 2006 and up, have you set the IC clock?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPro View Post
I replaced the info center with the easier-to-use version. Since I can actually see the display, I thought it would be nice to set the clock. Following the Freightliner manual that came with the coach I went to the Alarm - Time/Date menu. According to the manual, I should press "E" and then I should see "AM/PM". Instead, all I see is a 24 hour-format clock which I can toggle between 12 and 24 hour with the down arrow. It says I should get a "SET" message, but I don't.

Is there a different way to set the clock in the new info center? Anyone with a retrofitted IC or owners of 2006 and up, have you set the IC clock?

Well Sir,
I too have replaced the Info Center due to lack of visibility of the old unit. But, it's been a bit since I had to set everything. There is a set of sequences that you must follow for every item you're attempting to set. I'll dig up my owners manual for that unit and see if I can help you from here, on setting up the clock.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't Need Original Instructions

Thanks, FireUp. I have the instructions from the Freightliner manual, it just isn't working the way the manual says it does (or I'm not doing / reading it right). I thought that someone with a 2006 and up might have different procedures for the upgraded IC, which became standard in 2005.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you tried the Frightliner site for and manual in PDF?
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Follow-up: Set Time

Just wanted to pay off what I've learned about setting the time in the info center. The key to setting the time is pressing the "E" key for a longer time. Kind of like a smart phone - if you press and hold a key it behaves differently than if you just do a quick press.

Finally, after figuring this out Saturday, I returned to the coach today (Monday). I turned the chassis disconnect switch on and fired it up. The info center had reset the clock to 00:00:00. So if power is removed, the clock has to be reset (if you want to see the time). Makes this feature about as useful as nursing accouterments on a male bovine.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #6

Information center

I don't know how to set the clock or actually how to use any of the information center functions because I cannot see anything on the display. Does anyone know where a new/ rebuilt new version can be found and purchased? I recently purchased our MH (2005 Fleetwood Expedition 34M) and would like to be able to use the information center. I briefly looked into getting one but was unsuccessful at finding one. Any help would be appreciated.
TIA,
Eric
Slow ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:34 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Replacement Info Center

Try the "Replacement Information Center" thread in the Freightliner section of iRV2.com. It has good information as well as links to other threads that have more information on this topic. You may want to do this quickly, since I think they only had a few of the new and improved displays left.

I had mine changed a couple of months ago, and I'm really glad I did. I bought it directly from the vendor instead of going through Freightliner and saved about $100, which was what my favorite shop charged me to install it. The part was about $250 with shipping.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow ride View Post
I don't know how to set the clock or actually how to use any of the information center functions because I cannot see anything on the display. Does anyone know where a new/ rebuilt new version can be found and purchased? I recently purchased our MH (2005 Fleetwood Expedition 34M) and would like to be able to use the information center. I briefly looked into getting one but was unsuccessful at finding one. Any help would be appreciated.
TIA,
Eric
Slow ride,
I installed the "new" version of the "Medallion Information Center" a year or more ago and, I did a thread on here about it. In short, the improvement in vision is good but not great. In that, it's considerably better than the older version but, is not what I expected. I will say this though, once you get it installed and are running down the road, if you turn your parking lights on, it improves drastically.

I'll dig around and find the source for the new version for you, if someone doesn't find it first and display it. That's ok, all you need is the source and, the cost. If I recall, I paid right at $235.00 plus or minus a tad.

As far as use, it's kind of a neat little gadget. With the right buttons pushed, it will display several bits of information.
Engine RPM
Gear selection
Engine Temp
Oil pressure
Turbo pressure?
Trip Center
Instant miles per gallon
Average Miles per gallon
Alternator Voltage
Exhaust Brake Notification
Etc.

But, along with that standard information, it's also tied into the MMDC (Multi-Module-Data-Computer) that's tied to all the ECMs of the engine, transmission, ABS Module etc. All of it is linked via what's called the "J1939" Data link. That link carries all the info from all those components to the MMDC which, desiphers all of it and, displays all the pertinent information on the appropriate gauges.

But, if something goes wrong, like your "ABS" system developes a flaw or, you loose communication in the J1939, (like we did), that Medallion Information Center will display a message pertaining to the problem.

Now, there's also a section on there that, when a certain sequence of numbers is inserted, you can get "codes" and, diagnostic info too. I've inserted those correct numbers and, was not impressed with what was displayed. Mostly because I had no codes (problems, new-old or, stored) so, that "secret" section is not used by me.

Anyway I'll try and find that supplier for that information center.
Scott

On edit:
Slow Ride,
Try this phone number:
1.888.750.2132 .

I just looked up my old thread and found that number on it. They might have information on that product and or, sell it.
Scott
Old 12-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #9

Thank you very much. I will try that number and use the part number supplied in the thread and see how it goes.
Eric
Old 12-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #10

Fire Up,
Just called the number you gave me and they had two in stock. I have one coming to my door. Thank you very much again for the information. Can't wait to see the display work.
Eric
Slow ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow ride View Post
Fire Up,
Just called the number you gave me and they had two in stock. I have one coming to my door. Thank you very much again for the information. Can't wait to see the display work.
Eric
Hey Eric,
Glad I could be of assistance here. Changing it out, at least on our coach, was not all that easy but, nothing is on this big beast. It took me about 45 minutes if I recall. I'm not as "limber" as I used to be. That's alright, I'm in no hurry. But, like I stated, even in the daylight, it was an improvement to be sure, but, also even in the day light driving, it really shows up better if you at least put your parking lights on while driving. Give it a try each way or, just sitting in your drive way and see the difference. Good luck.
Scott
Old 12-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I was totally frustrated with mine, so I bought a scan gauge that connects to the OBD connector and provides much of the same info. I mounted it as high as I could get it on the steering column and most of the time I can see it without leaning forward. As for the driver's info center, I set mine to ODO, engine temp, and trans temp.....but still have to lean waaaaay forward to read it and I never try to change it while driving.

I have posted my extreme displeasure with the dash board layout of our Phaeton before, and I found out I'm far from being the only one who hates it. It is very obvious that the person who designed it, has never driven a motor home before. If I was Bob Tiffin, I'd fire that incompetent fool immediately.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Adjust Contrast

I adjusted the contrast way up on my new IC and can read it fine in daylight. When I first did so it "forgot" the setting, but has been fine ever since. I suspect that there is some on-board battery that had to get recharged after sitting on the shelf for a few years.