Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #1

Installing new shocks

I bought 4 new Konis for our Bounder 34m. Finally decided to install them. I am fortunate to have a fully equipped shop ( 30 by 50) with all the right tools. This is not job you would want to do in the backyard on dirt. The fronts are no big deal. I jacked it up via the leveling jacks and then used my air over hydraulic bottle jack. The bottom bolts take a 1 1/8 socket. I cannot believe the Sachs shocks. They are shot and I bet they are like that within 6 months of usage! Most OEM shocks are a joke. Some replacements like Monroe do not last more than 6 months! The Konis are almost double the weight of the Sach's! I am going to tackle the rears tomorrow. This will not be fun. I thought that maybe I could replace the rears without removing the dualllies. Dream on! My tires were changed when I bought the unit and most tire shops use a 1 inch impact and just drive the m home. My 1/2 inch CP wrench is no match for the lug nuts. I have a "Times 12" torque multiplier and will use that to loosen the nuts. I am not young anymore and this kind of work gets harder with age. But I will persevere. Stay tuned tomorrow for the rest of the story.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Take her for a ride then report back
Old 11-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #3

Finished the job today. I removed the LH duallies. That was fun! I swear they were installed with 1000 lbs. of torque. Any tire dealer that does not torque the wheels should be shot. When it was time to do the right side I thought I would try to do the job without removing the wheels. It is possible but difficult. I was alone. If you have a helper it is easier as one fellow can hold the wrench on the bolt while the other uses an impact or ratchet on the bolt. I won't have a chance for a road test for about a week.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #4

I've changed the Konis on the front of my 2004 Meridian twice (the first set lasted about 4 years then started leaking) in the back yard on dirt. Not too bad. But the first change on the rears from Sachs to Konis were done by a small brake/muffler shop for a fee of $50, best money I've ever spent. It did take two employees to do them without removing the rear duallies. I wouldn't want to tackle the rears by myself.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I replaced the original shocks with konis without pulling the wheels. It was tight but doable. On the fronts I had to cut the heads off the top bolts. The shocks were installed prior to Winnebago putting on the body. The nuts came off the bolts OK but there was no space to remove the bolts.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I replaced the original shocks with konis without pulling the wheels. It was tight but doable. On the fronts I had to cut the heads off the top bolts. The shocks were installed prior to Winnebago putting on the body. The nuts came off the bolts OK but there was no space to remove the bolts.
Wasn't that a pain for the first front shock change? I couldn't believe someone at Winnebago didn't have enough foresight to install those upper bolts in the correct way. I just couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that. I had to borrow a receipatating (spelling??) saw to cut the heads off those large bolts. Six months ago I couldn't evin spel ingineer and now I air one.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Wasn't that a pain for the first front shock change? I couldn't believe someone at Winnebago didn't have enough foresight to install those upper bolts in the correct way. I just couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that. I had to borrow a receipatating (spelling??) saw to cut the heads off those large bolts. Six months ago I couldn't evin spel ingineer and now I air one.

Yep, made me wonder but then those who design them don't work on them - same in the wonderful world of boating.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, shocks