RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:41 AM   #1
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Arrow Is There Any Interest In Keeping the Freightliner Chat Going?

I have been posting weekly reminders of our weekly Freightliner Chats for around 8 years. Over the past year participation has dwindled down to just 2 of us with an occasional 3rd participant. When one of us has an appointment that prohibits us from logging on the chat it gets pretty lonely for the remaining one.

Perhaps it is a day problem or time problem and I would like your thoughts on this. Please reply to this post with your thoughts. If you would rather PM me and keep your thoughts private I welcome that. Personally I hope we can keep it going but if there is no interest in keeping it going it is time to shut it down.

I deliberately did not post reminders in the month of December to see if anybody noticed and asked what happened. I did not see any response.

I will be checking this post to see what I can learn.

Thanks for your input;

Don

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 10:23 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try picking specific seasonal subjects, like "replacing Atwood Heater fan motor", during Winter months and give a couple of weeks notice....and see what happens. Also, you can ask for discussion topics to explore. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
I have been posting weekly reminders of our weekly Freightliner Chats for around 8 years. Over the past year participation has dwindled down to just 2 of us with an occasional 3rd participant. When one of us has an appointment that prohibits us from logging on the chat it gets pretty lonely for the remaining one.

Perhaps it is a day problem or time problem and I would like your thoughts on this. Please reply to this post with your thoughts. If you would rather PM me and keep your thoughts private I welcome that. Personally I hope we can keep it going but if there is no interest in keeping it going it is time to shut it down.

I deliberately did not post reminders in the month of December to see if anybody noticed and asked what happened. I did not see any response.

I will be checking this post to see what I can learn.

Thanks for your input;

Don

Hi Don

We purchased a new to us coach on a Freightliner Chassis about a year ago. Previously had coaches on Spartan. I would like to learn more about chassis maintenance as I do my own. I have seen you posts in the past but wasnít sure what you discuss or how to participate. Any information you can provide will be helpful.

Bruce

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
Hi Don

We purchased a new to us coach on a Freightliner Chassis about a year ago. Previously had coaches on Spartan. I would like to learn more about chassis maintenance as I do my own. I have seen you posts in the past but wasnít sure what you discuss or how to participate. Any information you can provide will be helpful.

Bruce
Bruce;

Thanks for responding. This has been a member driven Chat from the start. The more in attendance the more experience we bring to the chat. We always try and help each member with their specific questions. Many times we don't have an answer to their question. We suggest they call the 24/7 Help line at Freightliner (800-385-4357). They are very knowledgeable & helpful. I have personally called them on several occasions and received great advice & info.

When ever I post a reminder I usually add instructions on how to log on to the chat. Please see the reminder I posted this morning. The chats are open to all members of iRV2 as there is no requirement a participant has to own a Freightliner Chassis. For example if someone is thinking about purchasing a coach on a Freightliner Chassis they might want to log on the chat and ask some general questions of other owners.

Many times members in attendance don't have any maintenance questions and we may just talk about traveling in general. We discuss anything a member wants to talk about. For example I have had someone tell me they are planning on traveling through central Wisconsin and wanted some advice on road conditions and routing.

We always try & welcome first time participants and help them with getting around in the chat room. I have been active on iRV2 for 16 years and I can remember how uneasy I felt the first time I logged on a chat room. It can be intimidating and we try and help new participants fell welcome and at ease.

I would like to encourage you to log on the Chat tonight and give it a try. I will be looking for you.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 01-09-2020, 10:11 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Try picking specific seasonal subjects, like "replacing Atwood Heater fan motor", during Winter months and give a couple of weeks notice....and see what happens. Also, you can ask for discussion topics to explore. Rook
Thanks for your suggestions. We don't have the benefit of having Freightliner Techs to lead the discussion as our chat is member driven. We would need to have a member participant who had changed his heater motor and could lead the discussion. If someone took his rig into a shop and they did the work for him he may not have much to discuss.

Last night we had 3 participants. Non of the 3 had any Freightliner issues they wanted to talk about. 2 had previously been to Alaska and the discussion centered around border crossing, the benefit of having a diesel for mountain driving, and fishing & catch limits. Not one thing was discussed that dealt with Freightliner specific. That being said the subjects were in line with RVing and the mission of iRV2. Having had a predetermined agenda would not have had any benefit. Over the years it is my observation it is the interest of the participants that drive the discussion subjects.

In 2011 DriVer made arrangements with Freightliner Techs to participate in our Chat. If my memory is correct they would only participate if they could log on right after their shift ended which was likely 5 PM ET. At the end of the year they shut down their participation because very few members attended at that time frame.

Thanks;
Don
Old 01-09-2020, 11:48 AM   #6
HRF

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have never felt a need to participate in the chat. I have an 07 Fleetwood on a Freightliner chassis and have had many questions. However I have always been able to solve the problem by asking for help on the forum or by calling the Freightliner help line. Both of those sources are excellent at solving problems, so for me, there has never been a need for the live chat.
HRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #7

I didn't even know there was a Freightliner chat. I have looked at the Winnabego chat a few times. I am full time and don't have wifi so I don't go online everyday and always find out about the cat the next day. Need to give more of a notice.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I didn't even know there was a Freightliner chat. I have looked at the Winnabego chat a few times. I am full time and don't have wifi so I don't go online everyday and always find out about the cat the next day. Need to give more of a notice.
We have had a standing date and time for our Freightliner Chat. It has been every Wednesday night at 9 PM ET for the past 8 years. I usually post a reminder every Wednesday I did stop posting reminders in December as a test to see of anyone wondered why. Nobody asked.

Don
Old 01-12-2020, 09:15 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was also not aware of the chat...but then I didnít monitor the forum until recently... I like the suggestion about a topic..that my spark peoples interest again.

Or maybe the chat can go from weekly to monthly? Biweekly?

richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
I was also not aware of the chat...but then I didnít monitor the forum until recently... I like the suggestion about a topic..that my spark peoples interest again.

Or maybe the chat can go from weekly to monthly? Biweekly?
Thank You for your reply. These replies will all be reviewed. When you state a topic might work are you suggesting a seminar? This is a member driven Chat and the participants are iRV2 members much like you and I are. Freightliner has no input in our chats.

If we said 2nd & 4Th Wednesday nights would be the chat nights would members get confused which week this us? The reason we had a Freightliner Chat on Wednesday night at 9 PM ET was there would be no confusion of which Wednesday this is. I have periodically had some body text me and say "sorry I missed the chat. I lost tract of the time".

Thanks again;
Don
Old 01-12-2020, 04:37 PM   #11

Location: Land of high fuel prices and poor roads; Kalifornia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRF View Post
I have never felt a need to participate in the chat. I have an 07 Fleetwood on a Freightliner chassis and have had many questions. However I have always been able to solve the problem by asking for help on the forum or by calling the Freightliner help line. Both of those sources are excellent at solving problems, so for me, there has never been a need for the live chat.
Agreed.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:36 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRF View Post

I am one of the three that Petro mentioned was on Wednesday night. Dropped in once a year ago also, there was no Freightliner being discussed that time either. I've dropped in Twice out of curiosity! It is a great idea in principal but none of have enough patience to wait a week for the chat when we can get instant answers here and the help line. Great job Petro!
Old 01-12-2020, 07:55 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmevis View Post
Agreed.
Thanks for your reply; The 24/7 Freightliner Help line has been a great resource for most of us. I have called them many times myself and they were able to help me solve many of my problems. That being said most of us who were on the chat frequently became friends and we enjoyed chatting with each other. We shared fixes for minor problems we were able to solve. We enjoyed sharing our travel adventures with each other. Times are changing and some of our older members are giving up Rving. Some have passed away.

I have a RV parking space where I have 30A & 50A power, city water, WIFI, & cable TV. I have had several friends, I met on the Chat room and became friends with, stop by my home and spend a couple of days. We often would go out to dinner and I would show them local interests such the EAA Adventure Museum which is about 35 miles away. So the Chat room means more to me than solving Freightliner problems. Members who get together on the Chat frequently develop a camaraderie relationship. It is that relationship I would like to save if possible.

Thanks;
Don
Old 01-13-2020, 01:15 PM   #14

I have seen chat notifications several times when logging in to IRV2 but they were always after the fact. Now that I know they are every Wednesday at 9:00 EST I will set a reminder and try to attend. I have a 2018 MH on a 2017 built chassis. I have been impressed with the freightliner chassis compared to the three previous MH I owned and want to know more about keeping it in good order. Thanks for setting this up and keeping it going. I will use Freightliner maintenance, there is a local Freightliner service facility with a dedicated RV technician, for scheduled maintenance but still want to service items within my capability.

Tags
freightliner