Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
gwj

Can someone tell me where the two petcock locations are? I need a picture because I can not find them on my engine block. Do you really need to open them to bleed the air out when you are changing the coolant?
gwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
gwj

Can someone tell me where the two petcock locations are? I need a picture because I can not find them on my engine block. Do you really need to open them to bleed the air out when you are changing the coolant?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:19 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
gwj: I'll try. I have a 2000 ISB, 260 HP, on an XCS chassis by FTL... I have a drain petcock on the bottom of the radiator, and a plug under the water inlet (lower big hose) on the drivers side, at the front of the engine. (rear of the MH of course) for draining coolant.
When refilling, just behind the thermostat housing (upper big hose) is a small hose (1/2 inch ?)that goes from the top of the block, up above and behind the radiator and has a petcock in the top of the rear service compartment. (Mine is just above the coolant recovery tank. Look behind the rubber skirt) This is opened when filling the radiator and vents air from the block. Use low silicate antifreeze that meets ASTM 4985 (GM6038M)criteria. The manual warns to mix the antifreeze 50/50 with water before putting it in the engine.
Don't know what pubs you have, Cummins Customer Assistance (1-800-343-7357) or the store on their website can help you with pubs. ($$$)
The ISB Operation and Maintenance Manual (Bulletin 3666170-03) gives fairly detailed info on engine maintenance.(Your engine may have a different number)-- Cummins also has a Customized Parts Catalog for your individual engine available.

Freightliner has free pubs and info, register here:Access Freightliner using your vin #, has all parts on your chassis when it left the factory.
Go here to download a manual on chassis maintenance...Know your Chassis

I hope this answered your question and that it helps. I have also found a lot of information by going to the website for components, Haldex, Arvin-Meritor, Allison etc..... Enjoy..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
gwj

ok, here is what I found on my ISB 300 (2002). The 1/2" hose next to the thermostat is going to the coolant recovery tank and there is no petcock on it. Here is what I do see I have a gate valve followed by a petcock on the 3/4" coming out of the side of the water inlet (lower big hose). On the upper block facing the front of the motorhome is what looks like an angle stop valve with a 5/8" hose coming off of it.I see no other petcock. I have all the maintenance manuals supplied by the dealership and none show the petcock locations.A picture is worth a thousand words.