Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2016, 08:32 PM   #1

Jack not fully retracting

Quick question... Any simple solution to one of my jacks not fully retracting with the others with my auto retract button? I'd estimate it happens half the time, and it does retract, just not all the way up. Perhaps 3-4 inches remain relative to the other jacks.

I've tried lowering them again and retracting again. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

Secondly, is it normal to hear my rear jacks/air bags hissing when I drop the jacks? I only have rear air suspension (spring front), and I can't manually dump them. This doesn't seem to affect the jack performance, but it does worry me.

Coach is a' 16 Dynamax Force HD 37BH.
grace2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 08:46 PM   #2

Not familiar with you rig but auto leveling jacks usually involves two steps: 1- air bag suspension deflates, and 2- jacks go down to level coach. If one jack is hanging up, might try cleaning tube with wd-40 or other approved product. Fairly new rig so that jack or the controlling solenoid might be faulty.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:01 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
call the maker of the coach, as that is who install them. Next call the tech support of the jacks.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:11 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Are they HWH brand jacks? It is common to have that problem with them but on a coach that new it should not. Must still be under warranty. If so make sure to get it back to the dealer and have it repaired.

If you are stuck and it will not go up, you can pry it up with something while it is in retract mode. We have one that retracts by itself less than having to push it up. I have even replaced the springs. I use a metal bar as a lever and wood blocks as a fulcrum. Spraying it with WD40 then wiping it off does help.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:01 AM   #5

Might be easier for us to give suggestions if you let us know what make of jacks and if electric or hydraulic. As stated above, if under warranty take it in.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:09 AM   #6

Jack not fully retracting

Website lists HWH and Quadra. Warranty repair.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #7

If so HWH is a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
Website lists HWH and Quadra. Warranty repair.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:31 AM   #8

Thanks for comments. I'm in the middle of nowhere so repair and warranty work is a beast to deal with, about 5 hours to the nearest shop. With that said, so be it if necessary.

They are hydraulic, and I'll look at some of the suggestions you've made here to see if I can do anything on my own to change the behavior.

Thank you,
Old 05-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #9

Sticking jack

I have one that sticks [hwh]on the rear of my 03 Phaeton.About once a year i polish the last 6 inches near the foot with mothers aluminum polish.Solves the problem for about ayear.Good luck
ronster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #10

Spray the cylinder shaft with WD-40 just before you raise the jack. No need to wipe the excess, the wiper seal will do it for you. If it helps, make it a routine practice.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:33 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lub the shafts on the Jacks often with silicone spray and on the bottom is a zerk for grease every 30 to 40 extentions. Read the manuals?
Old 05-29-2016, 05:57 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace2day View Post
Quick question... Any simple solution to one of my jacks not fully retracting with the others with my auto retract button? I'd estimate it happens half the time, and it does retract, just not all the way up. Perhaps 3-4 inches remain relative to the other jacks.

I've tried lowering them again and retracting again. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

Secondly, is it normal to hear my rear jacks/air bags hissing when I drop the jacks? I only have rear air suspension (spring front), and I can't manually dump them. This doesn't seem to affect the jack performance, but it does worry me.

Coach is a' 16 Dynamax Force HD 37BH.
As far as the Air Bags Hissing when extending your jacks. As I understand it as you push on the frame it could make the valve controlling the Air Bags think they are Overinflating and try to compensate by releasing air.
Good luck with your problem
Old 05-30-2016, 08:04 AM   #13

Makes sense. Thanks Bomba.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:21 PM   #14

Fiesta... You must have electric jacks with a screw in them. Hydraulic jacks don't have grease fittings...well none I've ever seen. I've tried just about everything to get my jacks to reliably retract, faster than 5 minutes anyway. I have gotten them to retract pretty good now. I changed the springs, that didn't help. I then changed the oil in the hydraulic tank to synthetic atf. It stays thinner when cold so it moves faster through the small lines back to the tank. The only thing that makes the jacks go up is the springs, so all the oil has to go through the hoses back to the tank for the jacks to retract. When you push the store button it opens the solenoids allowing the oil to return to the tank via the springs pulling the jack cylinder up. The longer the hose run the slower the jack will go up. The seals in the cylinders themselves get stiff with age just like our joints further slowing the process. Changing the oil to synthetic worked for me. Not sure how HWH feels about it but I didn't ask. When I'm ready to leave somewhere I start the coach, grab my wd-40 can with the flip up red straw and spray each jack with a small squirt right below the body of the cylinder. I don't wipe them. I let the wiper in the cylinder do that. It just drips back on top of the pad. I go back inside and press store and within 1 minute the display is in travel mode and the beeping stops.