Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #15

I have a cracked (but not leaking yet) coolant recovery tank on my 2003 Winnebago Journey DL. I see many of you have solved the replacement problem, do you have a part number for the tank? Thanks
Washoe5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
I don't know the part number but when I replaced mine I called the nearest Freightliner dealer and asked about the tank. They asked for the VIN and then said they had the tank in stock. I drove the 80 miles and picked it up. Don't remember exactly but the cost was over $100.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #17

Surge Tank

Just purchased new surge tank from Freightliner for my 2007 Vectra with side radiator. The old one was plastic and split on seam. Replacement tank is metal part # 001V/VML T3495 cost for tank is $224.55. I am installing myself.

Gary Mears – 2007 Vectra – Phoenix, AZ
Gmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

You can't compare coolant tank prices unless you are talking about the same engine and chassis configuration, e.g. side vs rear radiator. Each engine has a different cooling system requirement, so the radiator and tank are different.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had to replace the tank while in Las Vegas, NV in the middle of a cross country trip in June 2008. The repair was suppose to be covered by our extended warranty policy but after installation the insurance company claimed that the cracks were normal wear. We ended up canceling the insurance, MBA Warranty, as a result. Back in 2008 the tank cost $100.83 and the labor cost was $286.50.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #20

I am on my third plastic surge tank which is showing the tell tale signs of UV damage. Tank is hazey with small surface cracks. Stopped by my favorite Freightliner and they told me the plastic tanks are no longer available. Replacement tank is now all metal with a side sight glass. I am told that it is a 100% compatible replacement. The metal tank is less expensive than the plastic. The part number for an 05 vectra with cummins engine and side radiator is VMLT3495.
donfultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martind4 View Post
We bought ours at Freightliner Gaffney a couple of years ago while attending Camp Freightliner, cost was $85. They offer discounts to Freightliner Chassis Owners Club (FCOC) members.
My tank looks exactly like this, and I just ordered a replacement from Freightliner parts in Gaffney today. Cost was $108 plus shipping.
Fred
Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Just put one on a Volvo semi tractor at work, $309.00, I like you thought it was hi-way robbery.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #23

Wow....I'm so glad I read this thread! My low coolant warning was coming on recently when going up hill or accelerating quickly. I noticed the surge tank was low so I added a gallon of "final charge 50/50" which took care of the warning light.

Of course, the question in my mind is where did the coolant go? I just had my oil analyzed and the results did not detect coolant. But, while I had the coach in my driveway for a week recently I noticed a small puddle of coolant on the paving. I crawled underneath and it appeared to be dripping off a hose very high near the top of the engine towards the radiator. I thought I had a hose slowly leaking and was about to make an appointment for repair.

Now, after reading this thread about all the tank failures on coach's about the same age as ours (2005 Journey), I'm thinking that my plastic tank may be the culprit. The hose with coolant drip is in the same area as the rear of the coolant surge tank. And, another clue is that after refilling the surge tank to mid-level, the puddle in the drive became noticably larger!

Time to investigate the tank! I do most maintenace, but given the access and uncertainties, I wasn't going to get in to the hose replacement. But, I will attempt the tank myself.

Thanks guys for all the background info

Cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tank Removal

Could you give me a little guidance on the tank removal procedure.
Thanks much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
My tank looks exactly like this, and I just ordered a replacement from Freightliner parts in Gaffney today. Cost was $108 plus shipping.
Fred
omarleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tank Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
Fred
[QUOTE=Martind4;998855]We bought ours at Freightliner Gaffney a couple of years ago while attending Camp Freightliner, cost was $85. They offer discounts to Freightliner Chassis Owners Club (FCOC) members.
[

I would appreciate a little advice on the tank removal procedure please.
If you have any

Thanks
omarleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #26

iRV2 No Limits Club
When I owned a NAPA store in the late 80's, NAPA did not sell them! Why? Liability in case they fail.

This might be the reason for the high cost today. Lawyers, God bless thier hearts.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #27

From Freightliner for my 2007 Vectra with side radiator. The old one was plastic and split on seam. Replacement tank is metal part # 001V/VML T3495 cost for tank is $224.55. I am installing myself Took about 1.5 hours.

Gmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmears
From Freightliner for my 2007 Vectra with side radiator. The old one was plastic and split on seam. Replacement tank is metal part # 001V/VML T3495 cost for tank is $224.55. I am installing myself Took about 1.5 hours.

IMHO the best $224.55 you can spend. Freightliner now delivers side radiator chassis's with a metal recovery tank. Helped to install one on a Vectra last year, and it was easy to modify the Winnebago bracket to hold the new tank. Absolutely the right way to go.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank