Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #1

Just ordered new coolant recovery tank, WOW $$

Gents,
I did as much searching as one can do to try and find an alternate tank or, even an alternate source for the Plastic Coolant Recovery tank on our '04 Itasca Horizon D/P. It's the original, I think. It' showing severe deterioration (cracking) but, is not leaking just yet. I've got all the necessary tools and equipment to TIG weld up an aluminum one but, I thought I'd spring for the replacement one, just this one time.

In the searching I did, I found many posts about it. It seems Freightliner put out some junk plastic and has revised it somewhat. We'll see when ours comes in tomorrow at the local Freightliner parts dealer. I guess even some folks have replaced theirs a few times in only a couple of years.

I was told by a couple of friends who own Discoveries and one Journey, that the tank would be in the neighborhood of $15-$18.00. Well, I don't know where they got theirs but, the cost of mine is $123.00, WOW!!! I guess that's the cost of owning motor homes. I just save a bunch of money removing, rebuilding and re-installing a bedroom slide ram so, I guess I can justify that purchase, well, not really. Hope some of you could do better.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad you posted this. I have a couple of post where "dealers" have hosed me down. Seems to me that this is is the "point" of all of this. Our "costs" are on a tricky balance....."is it worth it".... when it tilts in the "no" direction, then the MH Mfg's will suffer! .....and we will move to.....maybe 5th wheels! Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gents,
I did as much searching as one can do to try and find an alternate tank or, even an alternate source for the Plastic Coolant Recovery tank on our '04 Itasca Horizon D/P. It's the original, I think. It' showing severe deterioration (cracking) but, is not leaking just yet. I've got all the necessary tools and equipment to TIG weld up an aluminum one but, I thought I'd spring for the replacement one, just this one time.

In the searching I did, I found many posts about it. It seems Freightliner put out some junk plastic and has revised it somewhat. We'll see when ours comes in tomorrow at the local Freightliner parts dealer. I guess even some folks have replaced theirs a few times in only a couple of years.

I was told by a couple of friends who own Discoveries and one Journey, that the tank would be in the neighborhood of $15-$18.00. Well, I don't know where they got theirs but, the cost of mine is $123.00, WOW!!! I guess that's the cost of owning motor homes. I just save a bunch of money removing, rebuilding and re-installing a bedroom slide ram so, I guess I can justify that purchase, well, not really. Hope some of you could do better.
Scott
That is about right as I have replaced two some years back for around $90 from Freightliner. Friends might have been talking about one on Cummins engine that is not pressurized.

I had one repaired but a guy who does fiberglass aircraft part and while he said it would not last a long time, at least I have a spare in case of being on road away from parts place.

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had to replace the coolant tank on my Ford truck and got a MAJOR shock at the price for a plastic tank. I first tried to get one from a junk dealer but none to be found.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
replaced my 04 tank with a highway FL truck tank that i picked up from a wrecker for $40.00 they are made from clear plastic not the white,no problems for 2 yrs.
cowboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #6

We bought ours at Freightliner Gaffney a couple of years ago while attending Camp Freightliner, cost was $85. They offer discounts to Freightliner Chassis Owners Club (FCOC) members.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #7

Well Gang,
I begged and pleaded but, that was the price, period. I told them it seemed a bit high for a plastic tank but, he said that was low, compared to some of the other ones they had/have. Well, it will be on and working and we'll be out and camping soon. That's life.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I replaced the surge tank in mine about a year ago and I think the tank cost was about $110. I purchased it from a Freightliner shop in Medford, OR. It looks like the photo shown in post #6. Removal was a challenge - there are two (I think) bolts that are hard to access above and behind the oil dip stick. I used a sawsall to cut portions of the tank away so I could get to those bolts. I'd hate to think what labor costs would be at a commercial shop.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #9

I replaced mine in 2003 on my 1999 DSDP and that was the neighborhood I paid. I am frankly surprised that they hadn't gone up 20--30%. Look at the price of milk!
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:42 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used a generic replacement tank from one of the small autoparts stores. Forget which one, downtown Pahrump. It was under $20. There was a couple style choices and I used the one requiring the least bracket modification. It was an older Itasca gasser so the parts are probably more off the shelf than others.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I, also, replaced mine last spring, cost at Sacramento Truck Center was around $115. Like post #8, I had to cut mine out with a sawsall in pieces to get at the two curbside bolts. When I asked at the truck center what replacement would cost for them to do it, they said about $700 as they would have the same amount of labor into it as I put myself. It was worth the effort to me.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Just had mine replaced at Gafney - it's an ISL with side radiator. The replacement for my plastic tank is a metal tank and costs $203 plus labor.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #13

I have heard UV sunlight is responsible for the plastic surge tank deterioration. When mine had to be replaced I added an aluminum sunshade to the grill in back of the tank. Easy to do and it might help. No Harm done.
Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is just MHO, but I think mileage has more to do with the tank failures than UV exposure. I store my coach at home and the engine compartment always faces south, right towards the California sun. Although my tank shows some yellowing it has no spider cracking as others have reported. I have 27K on the engine, so I'm inlined to believe that this is the main reason why my tank has not failed. My coach is 6 years old.

To be on be safe side, I purchased a spare tank and carry it on-board. A fellow iRV2 member sold it to me for $100. Not a steal, but less than the FL dealer.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank