RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
" If you had the jacks down carrying the chassis weight, the floor jack was only lifting the weight of the rear axle and tires. "

If I remember correctly, the rear jacks did not get the chassis off the ground, completely. Now you got me to thinking. I need to go out and do that myself, put the rear jacks down and see how far it does take the chassis up. Hmm. Anyway, all is well right now.
edge,
If and when I plan on lifting the coach with the HWH system, and want the tires off the ground, yes, I need to use blocks under the jacks. In fact, I built the blocks so that, when the coaches air system and air bags are inflated, the blocks will "just fit" under the jacks. Now, when the air system is dumped, the jacks automatically sit on the blocks.

Now, that coach doesn't drop but about 1" or so before it rests on the blocks. Now, I raise it just enough to get whatever set of tires off I need. It works slick. I don't really like lifting it like that due to the fact that the air bags get stretched and take a lot of stress. So, needless to say, it's not done very often.
Scott

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #16

Quote:
" If you had the jacks down carrying the chassis weight, the floor jack was only lifting the weight of the rear axle and tires. "

If I remember correctly, the rear jacks did not get the chassis off the ground, completely. Now you got me to thinking. I need to go out and do that myself, put the rear jacks down and see how far it does take the chassis up. Hmm. Anyway, all is well right now.
With air suspension and ride height valves, the second the chassis starts lifting, the ride height valves will start dumping air from the air bags, attempting to lower the chassis back to ride height. ( Ride height is a set distance between chassis and axle )

With no air in the bags, the axle is just sitting, unloaded, on the ground.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:18 PM   #17

Hereís how I did it...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1019.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	234517
Simple and easy...and I donít have to worry about where an errant jack might be placed by the tire jockey.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
With air suspension and ride height valves, the second the chassis starts lifting, the ride height valves will start dumping air from the air bags, attempting to lower the chassis back to ride height. ( Ride height is a set distance between chassis and axle )

With no air in the bags, the axle is just sitting, unloaded, on the ground.

Twinboat, You are correct about the ride height trying to keep a set distance.
But.

I'm under the impression that the ride height system is disabled if you dump your air to use the jacks. And the ignition isn't on so I don't think the auto leveling system would engage.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Umm, don't count on it. I had new tires put on my rig before I took it home from dealer. The tire shop had me lift with my jacks as well, but, on the rear, he put his floor jack right in the middle, 3rd member, pumpkin, whatever you want to call it. Later, when reading my manual it says specifically, DO NOT jack up the rear in this area.
It was easier for him because he only needed one jack instead of two. Lesson learned for me. It won't happen again. I buy all my tires from this company and have for many years so I won't say who they are. They are good to work with. We, I, need to learn and watch what happens to our rigs whatever they are. Yep, I'm still learning and probably will forever, hope so anyways.
Have a Great Weekend. OH, it's going to snow here soon. Too late to head to AZ and beat the weather. I see it's cold again down there anyway.

I Agree!!!
Old 02-09-2019, 12:45 AM   #20

Quote:

Edge , That is a good point! Only have to lift the weight of the axle.

My coach did have enough lift to allow the rear tires to clear , But using both jack systems seems like the least strain on the coach overall.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDiesel View Post
Twinboat, You are correct about the ride height trying to keep a set distance.
But.

I'm under the impression that the ride height system is disabled if you dump your air to use the jacks. And the ignition isn't on so I don't think the auto leveling system would engage.
With no air in the bags, any lift of the chassis leaves only the weight of the axle/tires ( un-sprung weight ) on the ground.

If you were to keep lifting the chassis, the air bags would stretch out until the shocks fully extended. Then the shocks would lift the axe/tires off the ground.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #22

Traveler. Looks good.
Thanks gang for your responses, all interesting, thank you.
We have 8 inches of snow here this morning so I won't be doing much to the MH for awhile, except shoveling snow to get to the MH and then making sure everything is ok. Also going to get pretty cold here for awhile, 16 tonight. Next 2 weeks look about the same. Not normal for around here.
Have a Good weekend.
P.S. I do have some rubber blocks for my jacks in case I need them.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:32 PM   #23

Lm a mechanic,tire man and the best way to lift a truck is at the pads just inside the brakes.However this pushes the wheels into the wheelwell,you cant get the tires off.Using the levelers picks up the body,giving clearance.Putting the floor jack under the pumpkin causes no harm,will take pressure off the airbags and shocks.Motorhomes are a pia compared to trucks,the reason many truck stops wont touch them.
ronster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post
Lm a mechanic,tire man and the best way to lift a truck is at the pads just inside the brakes.However this pushes the wheels into the wheelwell,you cant get the tires off.Using the levelers picks up the body,giving clearance.Putting the floor jack under the pumpkin causes no harm,will take pressure off the airbags and shocks.Motorhomes are a pia compared to trucks,the reason many truck stops wont touch them.

ronster,
Thank you for your professional input.

It's good to hear what someone from the other side of the counter has to say.

Your post makes me now wonder just what is Freightliner's official position on lifting the coach at the rear wheel? I don't think it is listed in the manual.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Umm, don't count on it. I had new tires put on my rig before I took it home from dealer. The tire shop had me lift with my jacks as well, but, on the rear, he put his floor jack right in the middle, 3rd member, pumpkin, whatever you want to call it. Later, when reading my manual it says specifically, DO NOT jack up the rear in this area.
It was easier for him because he only needed one jack instead of two. Lesson learned for me. It won't happen again. I buy all my tires from this company and have for many years so I won't say who they are. They are good to work with. We, I, need to learn and watch what happens to our rigs whatever they are. Yep, I'm still learning and probably will forever, hope so anyways.
Have a Great Weekend. OH, it's going to snow here soon. Too late to head to AZ and beat the weather. I see it's cold again down there anyway.
Just looked at my Fleetwood and Freightliner Owners Manuals and they both have pictures of a jack under the pumpkin to be the proper place to lift a Freightliner chassis.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #26

We often lifted our trucks by the center or the rear differencial.

We had long, 20 ton floor jacks, that could handle it. Once the wheels were off the ground, we slipped jack stands under the spring sadles.

There wasn't room for a jack and and stand on each side.

Tags
motorhome, tires