RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:16 PM   #1

Lifting motorhome to change tires.

On a Freightliner xc-s chassis with a forward/single rear axle MBA R175-2N .

Where should the service jack be placed on the rear axle to lift the wheels to remove the tires? Should it be located in the center?

Or should it be lifted from somewhere else allowing the rear end to hang in the air?

Where does your tire shop lift it from?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2019, 11:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDiesel View Post
On a Freightliner xc-s chassis with a forward/single rear axle MBA R175-2N .

Where should the service jack be placed on the rear axle to lift the wheels to remove the tires? Should it be located in the center?

Or should it be lifted from somewhere else allowing the rear end to hang in the air?

Where does your tire shop lift it from?

Well Sir,
On our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, I just lifted the coach with the Jacks and, they (the tire shop) were very appreciative of that. It made their job considerably easier. Some might frown on that approach but, the coach is still operating just fine. The Sun and the moon didn't fall out of the sky and my first born is still alive.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:06 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A tire shop that deals with heavy trucks, will know where to place their jacks.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:28 AM   #4

Due to a chain of tire issues I have had to have all my tires off the coach 4 times in the last three months... I use the built in leveling jacks and they have done the job with ease.

The front axle lift high enough by themselves. For the rear I place about 2.5 inches of pads under the jacks to get enough height to raise both rear axles.

The tire shops really like me to lift the coach and in one case a Love's truck stop would not change a tire because they did not want to lift it with their jacks.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:01 AM   #5

If using a floor jack, just inside the inner tire, directly under the axle.

We would than place a stand under the axle hub once the tires were off.

If it had anything, like levelers that would lift it, we would use them. Just don't go under until supported by stands or blocks.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply.

Ok,

So it wasn't out of the ordinary when I was asked to lift the rear with the jacks to change the tires.

At one point one of the tire guys suggested placing the floor jacks beneath the coach jack pads and lifting their if the jacks weren't functional.

So it seemed as if they were skeptical about lifting at the axle. Or maybe where to place the jacks.
This shop is an auto and big rig tire service center that works mostly on logging trucks and the like. Class A rv's not so much..
Having looked at the rear axle myself I can see it isn't a simple choice for jack placement.

I think Winnebago/Itasca expected the owner to use the coach jacks as they provided a lug wrench with the coach and no jack.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #7

Just about every tire shop I've had experience with from Delaware to Alaska to Arizona has asked me to lift the rig with the leveling jacks. Some will put a heavy duty jack under it also, but some will not. They've done more than I have but I still put the jack stands under it when I lift it.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
well my tire shop
we took some weight off the coach with the rear jacks.

then a guy placed two floor jacks under the rear axle and then used that to lift the tires off the ground.

but if the coach jacks had failed, the tire shops jacks would have taken the full load.

the front we did the same thing. lowered the jacks to take some pressure off, then the tire guys used floor jacks at the suspension to lift up the front wheels

these were heavy duty semi truck low profile jacks with air over hyd
frankly it looked scary with the bus floating in the air with no wheels

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
A tire shop that deals with heavy trucks, will know where to place their jacks.
Umm, don't count on it. I had new tires put on my rig before I took it home from dealer. The tire shop had me lift with my jacks as well, but, on the rear, he put his floor jack right in the middle, 3rd member, pumpkin, whatever you want to call it. Later, when reading my manual it says specifically, DO NOT jack up the rear in this area.
It was easier for him because he only needed one jack instead of two. Lesson learned for me. It won't happen again. I buy all my tires from this company and have for many years so I won't say who they are. They are good to work with. We, I, need to learn and watch what happens to our rigs whatever they are. Yep, I'm still learning and probably will forever, hope so anyways.
Have a Great Weekend. OH, it's going to snow here soon. Too late to head to AZ and beat the weather. I see it's cold again down there anyway.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Have a Great Weekend. OH, it's going to snow here soon. Too late to head to AZ and beat the weather. I see it's cold again down there anyway.
Don't count on Az. We're at Cottonwood (near Sedona) and it was 21 last night and 22 the night before. My camping spot frostproof water spigot didn't thaw until well after 10AM. We put the hose in the basement.

Sorry for the off topic post.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Don't count on Az. We're at Cottonwood (near Sedona) and it was 21 last night and 22 the night before. My camping spot frostproof water spigot didn't thaw until well after 10AM. We put the hose in the basement.

Sorry for the off topic post.

I thought weather was always the topic, LOL.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Umm, don't count on it. I had new tires put on my rig before I took it home from dealer. The tire shop had me lift with my jacks as well, but, on the rear, he put his floor jack right in the middle, 3rd member, pumpkin, whatever you want to call it. Later, when reading my manual it says specifically, DO NOT jack up the rear in this area.
It was easier for him because he only needed one jack instead of two. Lesson learned for me. It won't happen again. I buy all my tires from this company and have for many years so I won't say who they are. They are good to work with. We, I, need to learn and watch what happens to our rigs whatever they are. Yep, I'm still learning and probably will forever, hope so anyways.
If you had the jacks down carrying the chassis weight, the floor jack was only lifting the weight of the rear axle and tires.

No harm, no foul.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
On our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, I just lifted the coach with the Jacks and, they (the tire shop) were very appreciative of that. It made their job considerably easier. Some might frown on that approach but, the coach is still operating just fine. The Sun and the moon didn't fall out of the sky and my first born is still alive.
Scott
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:18 PM   #14

" If you had the jacks down carrying the chassis weight, the floor jack was only lifting the weight of the rear axle and tires. "

If I remember correctly, the rear jacks did not get the chassis off the ground, completely. Now you got me to thinking. I need to go out and do that myself, put the rear jacks down and see how far it does take the chassis up. Hmm. Anyway, all is well right now.

Tags
motorhome, tires