RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-07-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 55
Lifting motorhome to change tires.

On a Freightliner xc-s chassis with a forward/single rear axle MBA R175-2N .



Where should the service jack be placed on the rear axle to lift the wheels to remove the tires? Should it be located in the center?

Or should it be lifted from somewhere else allowing the rear end to hang in the air?

Where does your tire shop lift it from?


__________________

__________________
05 Itasca Meridian 32'
IMDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2019, 11:54 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 7,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDiesel View Post
On a Freightliner xc-s chassis with a forward/single rear axle MBA R175-2N .



Where should the service jack be placed on the rear axle to lift the wheels to remove the tires? Should it be located in the center?

Or should it be lifted from somewhere else allowing the rear end to hang in the air?

Where does your tire shop lift it from?


Well Sir,
On our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, I just lifted the coach with the Jacks and, they (the tire shop) were very appreciative of that. It made their job considerably easier. Some might frown on that approach but, the coach is still operating just fine. The Sun and the moon didn't fall out of the sky and my first born is still alive.
Scott
__________________

__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:06 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
96 Wideglide's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,778
A tire shop that deals with heavy trucks, will know where to place their jacks.
__________________
Ben & Sharon
2008 43' Holiday Rambler Scepter PDQ
96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:28 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 150
Due to a chain of tire issues I have had to have all my tires off the coach 4 times in the last three months... I use the built in leveling jacks and they have done the job with ease.

The front axle lift high enough by themselves. For the rear I place about 2.5 inches of pads under the jacks to get enough height to raise both rear axles.

The tire shops really like me to lift the coach and in one case a Love's truck stop would not change a tire because they did not want to lift it with their jacks.
__________________
2014 Newmar Ventana 4369
2017 Chevy 1500 toad
S_Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:01 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 17,536
If using a floor jack, just inside the inner tire, directly under the axle.

We would than place a stand under the axle hub once the tires were off.

If it had anything, like levelers that would lift it, we would use them. Just don't go under until supported by stands or blocks.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 55


Thanks for the reply.

Ok,

So it wasn't out of the ordinary when I was asked to lift the rear with the jacks to change the tires.

At one point one of the tire guys suggested placing the floor jacks beneath the coach jack pads and lifting their if the jacks weren't functional.

So it seemed as if they were skeptical about lifting at the axle. Or maybe where to place the jacks.
This shop is an auto and big rig tire service center that works mostly on logging trucks and the like. Class A rv's not so much..
Having looked at the rear axle myself I can see it isn't a simple choice for jack placement.

I think Winnebago/Itasca expected the owner to use the coach jacks as they provided a lug wrench with the coach and no jack.
__________________
05 Itasca Meridian 32'
IMDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Pigman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,935
Just about every tire shop I've had experience with from Delaware to Alaska to Arizona has asked me to lift the rig with the leveling jacks. Some will put a heavy duty jack under it also, but some will not. They've done more than I have but I still put the jack stands under it when I lift it.
__________________
Pigman
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
powerboatr's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North East Texas
Posts: 4,278
well my tire shop
we took some weight off the coach with the rear jacks.

then a guy placed two floor jacks under the rear axle and then used that to lift the tires off the ground.


but if the coach jacks had failed, the tire shops jacks would have taken the full load.


the front we did the same thing. lowered the jacks to take some pressure off, then the tire guys used floor jacks at the suspension to lift up the front wheels


these were heavy duty semi truck low profile jacks with air over hyd
frankly it looked scary with the bus floating in the air with no wheels
__________________
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2016 Expedition or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
A tire shop that deals with heavy trucks, will know where to place their jacks.
Umm, don't count on it. I had new tires put on my rig before I took it home from dealer. The tire shop had me lift with my jacks as well, but, on the rear, he put his floor jack right in the middle, 3rd member, pumpkin, whatever you want to call it. Later, when reading my manual it says specifically, DO NOT jack up the rear in this area.
It was easier for him because he only needed one jack instead of two. Lesson learned for me. It won't happen again. I buy all my tires from this company and have for many years so I won't say who they are. They are good to work with. We, I, need to learn and watch what happens to our rigs whatever they are. Yep, I'm still learning and probably will forever, hope so anyways.
Have a Great Weekend. OH, it's going to snow here soon. Too late to head to AZ and beat the weather. I see it's cold again down there anyway.
__________________
Larry & Sheree & Bella the CAT
2009 Holiday Rambler, Admiral 30SFS
Lewis County, Wa.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Pigman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
......
Have a Great Weekend. OH, it's going to snow here soon. Too late to head to AZ and beat the weather. I see it's cold again down there anyway.
Don't count on Az. We're at Cottonwood (near Sedona) and it was 21 last night and 22 the night before. My camping spot frostproof water spigot didn't thaw until well after 10AM. We put the hose in the basement.

Sorry for the off topic post.
__________________
Pigman
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Don't count on Az. We're at Cottonwood (near Sedona) and it was 21 last night and 22 the night before. My camping spot frostproof water spigot didn't thaw until well after 10AM. We put the hose in the basement.

Sorry for the off topic post.

I thought weather was always the topic, LOL.
__________________
Larry & Sheree & Bella the CAT
2009 Holiday Rambler, Admiral 30SFS
Lewis County, Wa.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 17,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Umm, don't count on it. I had new tires put on my rig before I took it home from dealer. The tire shop had me lift with my jacks as well, but, on the rear, he put his floor jack right in the middle, 3rd member, pumpkin, whatever you want to call it. Later, when reading my manual it says specifically, DO NOT jack up the rear in this area.
It was easier for him because he only needed one jack instead of two. Lesson learned for me. It won't happen again. I buy all my tires from this company and have for many years so I won't say who they are. They are good to work with. We, I, need to learn and watch what happens to our rigs whatever they are. Yep, I'm still learning and probably will forever, hope so anyways.
Have a Great Weekend. OH, it's going to snow here soon. Too late to head to AZ and beat the weather. I see it's cold again down there anyway.
If you had the jacks down carrying the chassis weight, the floor jack was only lifting the weight of the rear axle and tires.

No harm, no foul.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Bigd9's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 5,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
On our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, I just lifted the coach with the Jacks and, they (the tire shop) were very appreciative of that. It made their job considerably easier. Some might frown on that approach but, the coach is still operating just fine. The Sun and the moon didn't fall out of the sky and my first born is still alive.
Scott
__________________
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
Pete
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:18 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 709
" If you had the jacks down carrying the chassis weight, the floor jack was only lifting the weight of the rear axle and tires. "

If I remember correctly, the rear jacks did not get the chassis off the ground, completely. Now you got me to thinking. I need to go out and do that myself, put the rear jacks down and see how far it does take the chassis up. Hmm. Anyway, all is well right now.
__________________

__________________
Larry & Sheree & Bella the CAT
2009 Holiday Rambler, Admiral 30SFS
Lewis County, Wa.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
motorhome, tires



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lifting front of coach to remove front tires wagonmaster2 Newmar Owner's Forum 16 05-04-2018 01:30 PM
Allison 3000 fluid change - amounts differ from change to change mhercus Allison Transmission Forum 7 06-04-2015 06:04 PM
lifting mh to change tires genesimmons Class A Motorhome Discussions 39 12-28-2012 05:16 PM
lifting rv off tires Jim Jackson MH-General Discussions & Problems 28 12-21-2010 09:08 PM
lifting front tires off the ground with leveling jacks George Cayer MH-General Discussions & Problems 14 02-09-2005 06:53 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.