Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #1
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lost Odometer Miles Coming Home From iRV2 Rally

We were returning from Myrtle Beach Monday and the odometer got messed up. The odometer lost 52174 miles. Trip 1 and trip 2 were unaffected. I called Freightliner 24/7 and they helped me retrieve the engine miles which was 54023 and the odometer was 1849. They had no clue what happened. I was told by Freightliner that the odometer can't be changed to reflect the true miles of the engine ECM as it is against the law to change odometer readings. I was told even if I replaced the odometer with a new one it would start at 0. All my gages apparently are working normally.

My question is have any other Freightliner owners had any similar problems? If so what happened and how did you deal with it? Thanks for any help or input you may have.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #2

Same thing happened on a coach I almost purchased. Freightliner chassis Sportscoach. Each time you would start the engine, the odometer would reset to 0. Owner said that he couldn't figure out how to fix it and Freightliner was baffled.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #3

Rich-n-Linda, reported similar issue in a couple of posts, including.

I have the highest mileage Freightliner Chassis

Don't know if he found a repair.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Skip. I sent a PM to Rich-n-Linda and the reply to me indicated they have not done anything yet but are going to Gaffney later for service and will see what FTL has to say. Their odometer is now registering any new miles.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 10-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #5

Reset odo

Petro, my odo reset about a month ago. Went from about 55,000 and now reads 3600 miles.

I had one code about incomplete data link data. I got that off of the freightliner info center.

I was able to read the mileage off of the engine computer. I have read all of Fire up's posts and have the dash and compartments open shaking wires.
I was on a 9000.00 trip and not sure when the mileage reset, but since then I had all the gauges go down, but all is working ok at this time.

I have read a few (now) posts of this mileage being reset with similar mileage, age and coaches.
I'm trying to determine is the data link issue is related to the mileage reset issue or are we talking about two separate issues.
Freightliner gave me about the same answers.
I will have to check if the odo is registering any new miles

RAB

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #6

Red face

This happened to my 06 Vectra as I was checking my trip meter with switch on the dash. The odometer reading, which was at approx. 55,248, suddenly went to something like 1,193,201, and when I hit the switch again, it went to 0. Freightliner told me how to read the odometer on the Freightliner display. I went to the Good Sam Rally in Phoenix ( spring of 2012) a couple of months later, and talked to the Freightliner rep who told if the MMDC-A,XC was replaced, the dash reading would pick up the engine computer output and the correct mileage would be displayed on the dash, as the MMDC unit was a "read through" device. When I returned home in Aug., I had Freightliner in Mt Vernon, WA replace the MMDC unit to the tune of $650. When I picked up my MH, much to my dismay the odometer read the same as before. I was told that due to Fed. Regulations, they could not " reset" the odometer. I felt that the true odometer in the engine reading was not being reset, only displayed properly. Several calls to Freightliner only confirmed that it was a lost cause trying to get the proper reading to show up. The " fix" for this is a sticker on the dash with the original milage that you add to the current dash readout to give you current total milage. This is apparently a somewhat common problem in 05 and 06 Freightliner chassis. Unfortunately this doesn't help much, but you are not alone with this problem.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:33 AM   #7

How do you guys pull the correct mileage off the ECM? I had assumed I was going to have to take mine into a FL shop to have it done. My odometer reads 770K+. We didn't notice when we bought it, because the seller said it had 77K miles. (I don't think he was trying to deceive; I just think he didn't notice the extra digit at the end, same as when I first looked at it)
Old 10-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagnweiner View Post
How do you guys pull the correct mileage off the ECM? I had assumed I was going to have to take mine into a FL shop to have it done. My odometer reads 770K+. We didn't notice when we bought it, because the seller said it had 77K miles. (I don't think he was trying to deceive; I just think he didn't notice the extra digit at the end, same as when I first looked at it)
I called the 24/7 help line at 1-800-385-4357 and they talked me through it. Assuming you have the MMDC is fairly simple. I determined the difference and now just add the difference to the current odometer reading.

Don
Old 10-31-2014, 10:36 AM   #9

Thanks, Don. I'll give them a call when I get back from Afghanistan next spring. I'm not sure if I have MMDC or not. My coach is a few years older than yours.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
It is my understanding that a new odometer can be legally set to the true mileage of the coach. It needs to be sent to the speedometer manufacturer and they can reset it. If you try to trade in your coach and the odometer doesn't match the ECM, the dealer will freak out. It happened to me.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:32 PM   #11

Lost Odometer miles

I noticed on a couple or more threads that people were on there way home from an RV rally.

Did any of you buy and install any new electronic equipment, ie LED lights etc.?

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:32 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
I have a 1999 Freightliner FL-60 and my odometer just stopped working one day, Freightliner says its some kind of electronic device that drives the odometer, theres no cables from the transmission anymore, they said they could fix it for @ $500, i forgot the name of the part
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Barge View Post
I noticed on a couple or more threads that people were on there way home from an RV rally.

Did any of you buy and install any new electronic equipment, ie LED lights etc.?
NO. This was a fix-it year. I lost the ability to get HD programs on my Winegard Trav'ler antenna while at iRV2 Rally. Don Sweger with TV For My RV, a vendor at the rally, diagnosed the problem and told me it would need to be sent back to the factory. I lost interest in spending any un-necessary money not sure what everything was going to cost. Don Sweger was a great help to me and he really knows his job. He is a very customer oriented person.

Don
Old 11-03-2014, 06:14 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don,
When my Odometer & Speedometer went out on my '92 Bounder, Fleetwood no longer made the "OshKosh" Gauge. I contacted speedhut and purchased a GPS Speedometer & Odometer. I had the factory set the mileage before they sent it to me. Very easy install and matches my gauges. $250

Tags
rally