Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #1

Low air buzzer

This is an on going problem I have had. Over a year ago I lost all my gauges. Freight liner said I needed to change the white daisy chain wires to the black wires. I did that and no change. I unplugged the two plugs on the back of the light bar, plugged it back in and everything worked for a year. In February trying to leave on a trip the same thing happened. Freightliner said it was the light bar that was the problem. $650 later no change except when I unplugged the plugs sprayed them with contact cleaner and plugged them back in everything worked. Now occasionally I just have a problem with the low air buzzer staying on. It’s enough to drive a guy crazy. Freight liner is no help. Has anyone had this problem with their Freight liner chassis? Mine is a 2008 Fleetwood Excursion. Thanks for any help you can give. Larry
larryandbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #2

Sorry you are not getting much response on this, Larry. And bummer to spend $650 and have the same issue. I would be tempted to disconnect the buzzer while you are getting this figured out, and just rely on the light. The buzzer would drive me crazy as well!
Old 05-14-2019, 07:36 PM   #3

I have a 2007 Freightliner and had a similar problem. Gauges would bounce and alarm would sound. Freightliner supplied new wiring harness which were installed in the dash which solved my problem. I fought the problem for several years with numerous calls to Freightliner, they finally provided a fix.
Good luck
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
did you check the pins themselves ? possible the pin lock is broken?
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #5

Thanks

Thanks for your comments. I already replaced the white daisy chain wires to black ones as specified by Freightliner on all the gauges. Today I took the old light bar apart and unsoldered the buzzer and reinstalled it. No more buzzing. Probably have to take it to Freightliner to see if they can solve it.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryandbarb View Post
Thanks for your comments. I already replaced the white daisy chain wires to black ones as specified by Freightliner on all the gauges. Today I took the old light bar apart and unsoldered the buzzer and reinstalled it. No more buzzing. Probably have to take it to Freightliner to see if they can solve it.
LarryandBarb, we are on a trip with the same exact problem. Did you ever find a resolution?
Revconguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:41 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same thing happened to me. Mine was also blowing off air from the tank relief every five minutes.Freightliner told me that I needed to replace the wires behind the dials. $160 and replace the dryer filter. They said it was not a leak. That did not fix it. I found that I actually had a leak from the back of the 4 in 1 gauge that had the air pressures on it. There was a crack on the back of the gauge housing and it leaked. I could feel it when I was behind the dash. I had to replace the gauge ($650 but they discounted to $450) and that fixed it.

My gauge is the one that has the red and green air hoses going into it. The newer one with only wires doesn't do that. Good luck with yours. Mine is a 2008 also. The wires are a problem also and needed to be replaced. The leak was real and getting worse so be careful. If you do have a leaky gauge and can't get a new one you can fix the leak by clamping off the hose on the leaky side.. Temporary only. You will not have a pressure gauge then. You may have to silence the buzzer. That would make me nervous. Do the leakdown test with the park brake off. Search for it.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #8

Guages

Still have the problem. Took it to Freightliner in Temple Texas and after $500 they couldn’t fix it. I have two air gauges with air lines to each and wires. Sometimes when the gauges fail the air gauges jump around. Since I silenced the buzzer I will probably go on our summer trip the way it is. The air gauges cost about $265 each so that is why I decided to take it to Freightliner.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It would not be difficult to add a pair of air aftermarket gauges coming off of those hoses and mount them where you could see them. Then you could at least know that you do have pressure and would know if something actually does develop. If you park it with the wheels chocked and the parking brake off does the pressure drop? If not you are probably OK.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #10

Larryandbarb.... How does the light bar connect to the dash.... does it just snap in and pull out.... thanks...
Old 07-11-2019, 06:24 AM   #11

Low air buzzer

The front trim piece snaps off and then there are four screws that hold in the light bar.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:09 AM   #12

UPDATE: On 7/5/19, I reported that I was having the same issue as the OP with the buzzer and the air gauges jumping around. The day before, I spent 5-hours driving with that blasted buzzer going the whole time. I checked and it appeared that the previous owner had already changed the white gauge wiring harness out for the black one. Following recommendations, I pulled the connectors to the information display and thoroughly cleaned the contacts/pins with aerosol electrical contact cleaner. (Believe it or not, I just happened to have a can in my toolbox for computer repair work). I'm proud to report that we made our 5-hour return trip home without even a hint of a problem. The gauges worked perfectly and the blasted buzzer stayed quiet.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #13

Thanks revconguy
I tried what you did and sprayed contact cleaner in every gauge plug. Still have same problem. It is so intermittent that it drives me crazy. It will start working for no apparent reason and then it will quit for no apparent reason.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:10 PM   #14

Do you have the white wires to the air gauges or the newer black ones? My understanding is that the white ones cause problems. My wires had been swapped out to the newer black ones

by the original owner.

Tags
air