Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:12 PM   #1

Maintenance questions

2014 Tiffin RED with 340 Cummins ISB engine and Allison 2500 transmission with 16,500 miles:

1) I've checked the Freightliner (FL) maintenance manual. Instructions indicate to see the applicable Allison Operator's manual regarding changing trans fluid and filter. I don't have an Allison manual. During a conversation with a FL tech regarding another issue I asked and was told at 4 years to change fluid and filter. Sound correct? Also, per an article in Sept Motorhome magazine, looks like there should be two filters.

2) Again per the article in Sept Motorhome and the FL maintenance manual the Air Dryer Desiccant and Coalescent Filter should be changed every three years. What is the Coalescent Filter and how difficult is it and the Desiccant filter to change? I am definitely going to find the drain halyards and start pulling them to drain excess moisture.

3) Coolant changing. Motorhome article indicates changing the coolant is essential but the FL maintenance manual indicates change at 100,000 miles or 60 months. We're at 48 months.

4) Per the manual, the power steering fluid and filter changing is to be done every 12 months. There is an additional note "change the TRW inline power steering filter every 12 months". What is does TRW stand for?

Unfortunately the Freightliner shop in Ft Worth, TX is not motorhome friendly or knowledgeable or I would go there. Also, they don't work at all on Allison transmissions. I'm still looking for someone in the area who can do it all but so far no luck.

Thanks,
Robert
Ft. Worth, TX

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2017, 07:47 PM   #2

Just did my air dryer service, piece of cake. Just make sure you drain your air tanks before you start. My dryer is behind the rear axle drivers side.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #3

With 18K miles showing, we purchased our 2004 Newmar Kountry Star from an individual making us the third or fourth owner.

Prior to purchase, I specified that the coach get a 'once over' from a local RV service center to include a change of oil and oil filters on both the diesel and generator.

Not knowing whether other services need attention, I have scheduled a maintenance day at the Freightliner facility in Gaffney, SC and am compiling a list of components that may need addressing.

Suggestions?

TIA
clayfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJEV View Post
2014 Tiffin RED with 340 Cummins ISB engine and Allison 2500 transmission with 16,500 miles:

1) I've checked the Freightliner (FL) maintenance manual. Instructions indicate to see the applicable Allison Operator's manual regarding changing trans fluid and filter. I don't have an Allison manual. During a conversation with a FL tech regarding another issue I asked and was told at 4 years to change fluid and filter. Sound correct? Also, per an article in Sept Motorhome magazine, looks like there should be two filters. You can go on line on the Allison web site with the model and serial number they can advise you on the correct filters you need and also order a manual. Likely you can find DIY on line or on Utube. The frequency of the fluid change will depend on if its conventional or synthetic

2) Again per the article in Sept Motorhome and the FL maintenance manual the Air Dryer Desiccant and Coalescent Filter should be changed every three years. What is the Coalescent Filter and how difficult is it and the Desiccant filter to change? I am definitely going to find the drain halyards and start pulling them to drain excess moisture. You can get the model number off of your unit, I ordered a new filters, and they came with installation instructions. You can also call freightliner with your vin number the can give you the part numbers. Yes you should change every three years as the build up sludge inside and get nasty.

3) Coolant changing. Motorhome article indicates changing the coolant is essential but the FL maintenance manual indicates change at 100,000 miles or 60 months. We're at 48 months. FL uses extended life coolant. I would go by months not miles Put it on the list within the next year.

4) Per the manual, the power steering fluid and filter changing is to be done every 12 months. There is an additional note "change the TRW inline power steering filter every 12 months". What is does TRW stand for? Call the FL help line, they are fantastic.

Unfortunately the Freightliner shop in Ft Worth, TX is not motorhome friendly or knowledgeable or I would go there. Also, they don't work at all on Allison transmissions. I'm still looking for someone in the area who can do it all but so far no luck.

Thanks,
Robert
Ft. Worth, TX
See my comments in bold.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:45 AM   #5

Maintenance

I had my 2005 Meridian 3M? Service done at Gafney December 2015. They used Rotella FF for coolant. I called and questioned them about it because I can't find it anywhere. They told me I couldn't mix extended life coolant with it so I now carry a gallon of Fleet FF ( 350 Cat)
Old 08-23-2017, 06:58 AM   #6

Robert

I agree with your assessment that FL Fort Worth is not motorhome friendly (we live in Dallas county). I've had good discussions with FL / Premier Truck in South Dallas (I20/I45) - they said they were motorhome friendly and prioritize MH owners in an attempt to get them in/out within the same day.

If I were going for service on my FL chassis, I would take it to Cummins Southern Plains (located at I20/Spur 408; 4855 Mountain Creek Pkwy, Dallas, TX 75236). They have a brand new facility and have been very helpful over the phone.

Cheers,
Mick
Old 08-23-2017, 07:38 AM   #7

Thanks. Lot of good information.
Robert
Old 08-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #8

Here's a pdf from Freightliner on air dryer service .

When you call Freightliner ; with your serial number ; ask about joining " Access Freightliner " where you can go online for info linked to your serial number , wiring diagrams , schematics and parts info . Takes a while but well worth the effort.

1-800-385-4357
1-800-FTL-HELP

www.allisontransmission.com

TRW , is an automotive parts supply company , I don't know what the acronym stands for.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Air Dryer Maintenance web version.pdf (161.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #9

Call Flnr, they do not use ELC in the engines.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks. Lot of good information.
Robert

Which shop did you go too? I'm in Ft. Worth as well and trying to buy a 2015 Phaeton. Been wondering many of the same things. Hoping to do as much as possible myself, but also realistic.
pbucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:46 PM   #11

Pbucha,
I went to Ft Worth FL but would not recommend them. For basic stuff, oil and filters I and others have used Sargent wreckers in Weatherford.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks,
Robert
Ft. Worth, TX
Premier Truck Group in South Dallas is very motorhome friendly. That's where REV group in Alvarado sends their chassis work.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In addition to the Allison link given above, go a couple of tabs more to:

Fluid and Filter Calculator

This is an online Fluid & Filter calculator. Moreover, some transmissions, mine included, have a provision to give you a readout on the transmission control panel.

Good advice to call FL.

Billfish636 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance