Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #1

Message at Startup - Mandalay Coach

2008 Mandalay Coach Presidio 400

When I start my coach up the following message is displayed:

! AUTO IDLE
SYS VOLTAGE 11.5 VOLTS
THRESHOLD 13.4 VOLTS

on some start-up the "Sys Voltage line says "13.1 VOLTS

Anybody know what this is trying to tell me and what do I do about it.
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #2

.....Just going by what it says, it’s telling you that you have your coach set at automatic idle as opposed you manually controlling with as an example high idle. Your system voltage on your chassis batteries at start up is 11.5 volts and the 13.4 threshold is the normal voltage your batteries should sit at and and anything above that or below I believe is when your charger it’s doing what is necessary to maintain your batteries, welcoming any clarification if my explanation is not correct anywhere. There is nothing you have to do about it unless you see changes.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #3

I think, not sure, your batteries maybe going south. Couldn't hurt to have them checked.
mhshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhshaffer View Post
I think, not sure, your batteries maybe going south. Couldn't hurt to have them checked.
The chassis batteries were recently replaced(Interstate flooded cell) so I'm guessing you are talking about GEN and Engine batteries (1 each AGM type)
Old 12-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #5

Yes
mhshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudawg View Post
The chassis batteries were recently replaced(Interstate flooded cell) so I'm guessing you are talking about GEN and Engine batteries (1 each AGM type)

.....it seems you will have to determine exactly which batteries that message is talking about. Should be in your manual. To me it’s your chassis batteries and at start up may be suffering from the load but should quickly come back up with the engine running. Get a meter and check them if there is no display telling you what they might be when they are just sitting and running.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does the voltage return to normal after a couple of minutes? If it does it is probably the engine grid heater cycling.
Droski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droski View Post
Does the voltage return to normal after a couple of minutes? If it does it is probably the engine grid heater cycling.
Huh? whats that?
Old 12-18-2017, 06:38 PM   #9

Cummins engines use grid heaters ( like a toaster ) in the intake manifold to pre-heat the incoming air, so it doesn't smoke at startup. It helps with cold starting too.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:09 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ted, does your coach do this all the time? As stated, your engine has a heater grid. It usually operates in colder weather. IT draws a LOT of amperage when it turns on. Sometimes it will turn on and off a couple of times during initial startup. If yo watch your dash volt meter, you'll often see it swing back and forth as the heater turns on and off.

Side Note:.....In the old days when a coach wouldn't start, they would spray starting fluid into the engine (ether). If you do that with a modern diesel engine, you could have an explosion (ether hitting the heater grid). That's why they tell you to never spray ether into a newer diesel.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Auto idle simply means that. You aren't going to (manual) fast idle.
The reason you see 11.5 volts is because the battery pulled down from the grid heater and probably the air compressor is filling the tanks.
All this is normal and the 13.1 is pretty normal voltage as the batteries recharge to the target of 13.4.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote