Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2017, 09:26 PM   #15

Webz,

We to had heard about buying used, but when we were looking we found that we could get a new model with warranty for not much more then used. We knew there would be problems, but did not think we would be sitting for weeks in a parking lot waiting for parts.

We do have faith in Freightliner and look forward to getting on the road again and enjoying our motorhome.

Good luck to all and safe travels.
Teblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 05:48 PM   #16

FL has many more service location then Spartan but a lot of Webz issues were because of the FL service locations. As a 20 year Spartan owner with over 235K miles traveled we have had nothing but great service both from their service locations and the factory. FL is big but this service that Webz got is unacceptable.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:02 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner has been excellent with us. I think a lot has to do with the service culture of each shop. I'd go with another freightliner in a heartbeat.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:26 AM   #18

tom chelbana
A quick update. I still have not received a copy of the paperwork of what was accomplished during the repair. I parked the coach without deploying the jacks and it took over 72 hours for the air bags to go down. So yes I do have a leak but it appears the work was accomplished a lot faster than I was led to believe. Fast repair is a great thing. It would have been better if they had informed me when it was complete so we could have enjoyed the rest of the trip in the coach and maybe could have kept the mice at bay.
Be safe,
Webz
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #19

Awaiting reply from Freightliner

I am still waiting for the paperwork from Freightliner.
Today I emailed Newmar asking for assistance. I Cc FCCC also.
I attached all the emails I have sent to the FL dealer that did the work. Also informed Newmar that I had called FCCC and talked to a rep who asked for my phone number. No return call.
The reason I want the paperwork is for repair history and warranty issues.
I do not believe I am being unreasonable.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:17 PM   #20

Called the Freightliner dealer again. Talked to a different service advisor. He was not aware of any problems. He was included in a couple of the emails I had sent asking for the paperwork the past 2 months. He said no problem and sent me the four page PDF of the repairs. I believe the email to Newmar had some bearing on their "prompt" attention.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teblues View Post
We bought a new motorhome two weeks ago, but never even made it home (330 miles) when the engine light came on (500 miles on coach). Took it to the nearest Freightliner (Oasis) dealer, and last week they called and said the wiring harness that goes to the def tank had some bad diodes. Of course there were not any to be had, so the vendor would have to make a new one with no ETA. I found out today that the vendor is in Mexico, and does not respond to inquires very well.

I don't know why they can not pull one off the assembly line and get my coach going, but I guess that would mess up the production.

We already cancelled camping last weekend and now this weekend, and will probably the next two weekends in June with no refunds. We are hoping it will be ready for a three week trip out west the end of June, but are not holding our breath.

Instead of having our motorhome, and packing it and learning all about it, it sits in the Freightliner parking lot.

Needless to say we are disappointed and disgusted. Did we make a huge mistake?
Interesting that you should mention them taking one from production. If you have a 2017 Dutch Star brochure, on the Newmar customer service page, Seamless Service, it says they will pull a part from production. Yes it's in writing. I asked for that while I was waiting a week for an MCD motor and they laughed. CS said they know that it's in the brochure but it doesn't mean that. Really?? I'm waiting to see if it's in the 2018 brochure...
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:37 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've got a 2014 chassis. I wish the coach portion was as trouble free as our chassis. Coach 150 problems. Chassis Zero.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teblues View Post
We bought a new motorhome two weeks ago, but never even made it home (330 miles) when the engine light came on (500 miles on coach). Took it to the nearest Freightliner (Oasis) dealer, and last week they called and said the wiring harness that goes to the def tank had some bad diodes. Of course there were not any to be had, so the vendor would have to make a new one with no ETA. I found out today that the vendor is in Mexico, and does not respond to inquires very well.

I don't know why they can not pull one off the assembly line and get my coach going, but I guess that would mess up the production.

We already cancelled camping last weekend and now this weekend, and will probably the next two weekends in June with no refunds. We are hoping it will be ready for a three week trip out west the end of June, but are not holding our breath.

Instead of having our motorhome, and packing it and learning all about it, it sits in the Freightliner parking lot.

Needless to say we are disappointed and disgusted. Did we make a huge mistake?

There is a single 10 amp (red) fuse on a single wire that runs DEF. I got a check engine then stop engine enforcement. I had one break ( not blown) while trying to get home from the dealer in Tx. Freightliner took 5 days to find the fuse. I discussed w a FL rep from the plant and the fuse is on wiring schematics.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #24

Rick I don't know if you said you had contacted Newmar but if you haven't that would be a contact to make. We have had great assistance with Newmar when dealing with problems with suppliers to Newmar. Since there are a number of parts that are the same on Spartan chassis at this point maybe a call out to Spartan?
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #25

Freightliner reply

Update:
I received an email from FCCC stating: "While dealers are not required to supply a copy of the work order for warranty repairs, if they choose to do so, the copy would need to come directly from the dealer who performed the repair."
My reply to FCCC:
"When the service adviser tells you they will email you the paperwork, you expect her to keep her word. If you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for an item, you deserve to know what was done to it. It is not an unreasonable expectation.
FCCC should require dealers to provide documentation of their work."

I believe most owners want documentation of work performed on their coach.
Maybe during the next Freightliner chat, someone will ask why dealers are not required to give a copy of the work order?
Old 10-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #26

Freightliner Update

Went to the Oklahoma City FL dealer for a coolant leak. They are winning me back with this kind of service. The tech (wish I could remember his name) is good at his job. Since the leak was in a heater hose and it runs in a frame rail that is enclosed with plastic box to contain the hoses, wires etc, it can be difficult to locate. Had coolant running out of the front and back where the frame rails end. I would have bet the leak was near the back but the tech started at the front and had the leak located quickly. (That is why he is the tech) He had it fixed and ready to go by the end of the day. The problem was a rodent had chewed a hole in the hose and had also chewed a wire that controlled the tag axle centering. The tag axle tires had just started scuffing on the edge. This is not a warranty item. The tech spliced the wire and this fixed the tag axle problem. The service adviser asked if I belonged to the Freightliner Chassis Owners Club. He said it would save me some money. I said I don't know. I know I joined some clubs but was not sure if that was one. I called FCOC to see if I was a member. They said no but since I bought the coach new I had one year of membership free. I told this to the service adviser and he gave me a substantial discount. The FCOC is worth the $15.00 annual dues. (I joined) It gives you discounts on parts and labor. Next week I will be heading to Nappanee to get the many problems fixed on the coach half. They estimated seven working days.
(They are not rodent related) Hope it is a trouble free trip. I'll post my experience with Newmar on the owners forum when I get back.
Be safe
Old 03-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webz View Post
tom chelbana
...I parked the coach without deploying the jacks and it took over 72 hours for the air bags to go down. So yes I do have a leak...

No you don’t. Believe it or not, the FL spec on air leaks is a rate of 2 psi PER MINUTE! At that rate, your bags would deflate in about 45 minutes.

If yours took more than 72 hours to go down, your air system is pretty tight. Mine have never stayed up that long. 24-36 hours is where mine deflate. Been like that since day one.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:53 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Having worked at the Portland OR IT dept as a contractor (SAN implementation for Oracle Financials) as team leader I can say that being owned by MB is NOT a positive!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner