Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #1

My experience with Freightliner

Prior to purchasing a 2016 Dutch Star 4369 in November, on a Freightliner chassis, I crawled under it on the dealer's lot and noticed two oil leaks. One was between the engine and transmission, (rear main seal) and the other was the fan gearbox. Took the dealer 2 trips to Freightliner dealer to get fixed.
After delivery and less than 4000 miles, I have experienced the following. Four out of 8 tires going flat. This is a grey area between between FL and Newmar. Freightliner stepped up and had the local dealer call in a tire truck to resolve the issues. Four valve stems leaking at the wheels. One tire had a hole in it and FL replaced it. (I did not expect them to cover that but they did) One inside dual valve stem would not allow air through it. Tire guy said it was a RV item. (the extension) Took it to a Love's tire shop (since the RV dealer would not work on the tires) and the tech had it fixed in 2 minutes. The valve extension was too tight.
On Christmas eve the air bags would not inflate. Called the FL help line and was told where the button was located that would inflate the air bags manually. To be clear he could not ask me to crawl under the coach to push the button due to liability issues. One of the best CS reps I have ever dealt with in any company. Took the coach to FL dealer and they replaced the faulty valve. I think Newmar paid for it.
Was not told about the front axle replacement until after I bought it and found I would have to drive across 3 states to one of only five FL shops that could preform the swap.
Took our first long trip and stopped to get the axle replaced. Continued on our vacation to the next state and the AC compressor locked up and broke the fan belt. Three way call between me, Newmar and FL resulted in being towed to a FL dealer that told me they told FL that they were way behind and could not look at it for several days. They suggested taking it to a different FL dealer. FL would not pay for the tow to a different dealer. Then there was some problem locating some parts since FL provided the compressor and Newmar provided the other components. FL said they would over night any parts.
I suggested to FL using a shorter fan belt to complete our trip without the dash AC and it was a no go if I wanted the AC repaired under warranty. We left the coach at the FL dealer and continued on in our toad. I asked to be called when it was complete since we would only be 6 hours away. Two days later I get an email from the dealer asking permission to continue on with the repairs since it may cost considerably more if they have to flush the AC lines. I said to continue on since it was under warranty. (I was provided a cost estimate so far.) After a week, we decided to drive back to our coach and wait for it to be finished. When we were an hour away I called to find out the status of the coach. I was told the coach was ready. I drive onto the lot and noticed the new front air bags were not inflated. I asked the Service Advisor how long the coach had been sitting in the parking lot. They had no idea. They fully inflated after starting the engine. Listened for a leak. The reason for my concern for the front air bags is if the coach had been there less than 24 hours, I had a serious leak. If it had been a few days, not so much.
I asked for a copy of the paperwork to see what was done to fix the coach. Was told the tech was still filling it out and I would receive a copy via email when finished. After a week I email the service advisor asking for the paperwork. After 3 days with not reply, I emailed her again and included her boss and FL. Got an immediate reply from the FL dealer and FL. Was told the paperwork was in the warranty department and I would get a copy as soon as they were finished. Been 2 weeks now with no reply. During the week that it was in the shop for repair, they did not plug it in to shore power. Found out they did not have a RV plug at all. (The generator would not switch over which was discovered on our first night out.)
The full refrigerator was very aromatic to say the least. Could not open the full wall slide since I didn't have power. So we couldn't fully open the fridge to clean it out and clean the mouse dropping that were never in the coach prior to this stop. (We are full timers) Took care of it at the next camp grounds on our way back home via the FL dealer that had installed the new front end including the air bags. We were about 100 miles from the front end FL dealer and called to find out if they could look at it the next day. They said they could and they opened at 7:00. Told them we would be there between 9 and 10. Arrived at 9:15 and the service advisor jumped me because we were not there at 7:00 After she calmed down she said they would look at it. She told me to disconnect the toad and dolly. Walking back to the coach to move it and disconnect, I stopped at the work bay and told the tech I may have an air leak. He told me to pull it in the bay. I told him the service advisor said to disconnect. He said if I can't back it out, we would disconnect then. As soon as I got out of the coach, the service advisor asked me why I drove in with the car in tow. Told her the tech said so. The tech and I crawled under the coach. (The floor was very clean.) No leaks were discovered. Backed out with no problems. The tech is an asset to FL.
Freightliner has many shops but they are not equal. Some do not want work on RVs. It appears their biggest problem is communication within each shop. I came to this conclusion after dealing with three of them in less than 4000 miles. A total of seven or eight visits all together. If they could get the service advisor, technicians and parts department all on the same page, it would benefit all concerned.
Believe me, I understand things break. Every time I go to my RV dealer for warranty work on the coach half, it has been a minimum of six items. Sometimes over twice that. That is another story in a different forum.
The bottom line is the coach has been in a Freightliner shop almost as many days I have driven it.

Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Makes me worry about Freightliner chassis.......and I have one!

Although I totally understand the valve extensions. I couldn't find a set that worked right so just got rid of them after a couple of months, and mount the TST sensors right on the inside short filler. Reach right up between the tires, and screws on easily.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #3

When I had the loose valve stems I had the TST installed. Going to install them again soon. May try your suggestion if I have problems. Thanks
Old 05-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you haven't already, you should send this to Freightliner fcccservice@daimler.com. The senior management chap that gets the comments assured us at Camp Freightliner that he personally reads and acts on things like this to include using them to get the attention of franchise shops.

I don't know if this is true since I haven never had a problem. You've written it up so no harm in trying. Hate that for you...I'd be irate.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:23 AM   #5

FCC is aware of all of this. But, what can they do? I was told by FCC the shops are independently owned.
I did email the shop again day before yesterday asking for the paperwork. Cc FCC also. Has been over 2 weeks now.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
So that others can benefit from your experience

Please take the time to write reviews on rvservicereviews.com where people can search by location and many other filters to find good and avoid bad service centers.
cruizerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:29 PM   #7

Service center reporting

Will do.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #8

So that others can benefit from your experience

Will do.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #9

We bought a new motorhome two weeks ago, but never even made it home (330 miles) when the engine light came on (500 miles on coach). Took it to the nearest Freightliner (Oasis) dealer, and last week they called and said the wiring harness that goes to the def tank had some bad diodes. Of course there were not any to be had, so the vendor would have to make a new one with no ETA. I found out today that the vendor is in Mexico, and does not respond to inquires very well.

I don't know why they can not pull one off the assembly line and get my coach going, but I guess that would mess up the production.

We already cancelled camping last weekend and now this weekend, and will probably the next two weekends in June with no refunds. We are hoping it will be ready for a three week trip out west the end of June, but are not holding our breath.

Instead of having our motorhome, and packing it and learning all about it, it sits in the Freightliner parking lot.

Needless to say we are disappointed and disgusted. Did we make a huge mistake?
Teblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:05 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
We waited 7 weeks for a turbo that they did not have. Vendor had to make it and this was on a 2014. Also had a harness problem and it was also not available. Fortunately the tech repaired the damaged one after FL convinced them to allow the repair since I had already waited 7 weeks for the turbo just a month earlier. These were all Cummins issues but the FL guys did all they could to help us.

I think Cummins has some supply issues.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:13 PM   #11

We waited 7 weeks for a turbo that they did not have. Vendor had to make it and this was on a 2014. Also had a harness problem and it was also not available. Fortunately the tech repaired the damaged one after FL convinced them to allow the repair since I had already waited 7 weeks for the turbo just a month earlier. These were all Cummins issues but the FL guys did all they could to help us.

I think Cummins has some supply issues.

Wow! Seven weeks! I hope Freightliner is faster then that.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:34 AM   #12

If your coach was rendered non operable from a failed part that is covered under warranty, the manufacturer is required by Federal Law (I believe the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, passed in 1975), to extend the warranty period for the time it was non operable.

For instance, if your window shade, which is covered under warranty won't extend, the doesn't prevent you from using your RV, but if, as in your case, the vehicle cannot be driven, it should apply. Notify the Manufacturer, IN WRITING, that you require the warranty to be extended, IN WRITING, for the time period it isn't available for use because it is not repaired.

That doesn't help you with your lost vacations, but it is at least Something. If it goes on much longer without you getting your coach back, I would contact your State Office of the Attorney General for assistance. File a complaint with them. Good luck.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #13

Thanks for the advice, and I will request the extension of the warranty.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #14

Hopefully not a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teblues View Post
We bought a new motorhome two weeks ago, but never even made it home (330 miles) when the engine light came on (500 miles on coach). Took it to the nearest Freightliner (Oasis) dealer, and last week they called and said the wiring harness that goes to the def tank had some bad diodes. Of course there were not any to be had, so the vendor would have to make a new one with no ETA. I found out today that the vendor is in Mexico, and does not respond to inquires very well.

I don't know why they can not pull one off the assembly line and get my coach going, but I guess that would mess up the production.

We already cancelled camping last weekend and now this weekend, and will probably the next two weekends in June with no refunds. We are hoping it will be ready for a three week trip out west the end of June, but are not holding our breath.

Instead of having our motorhome, and packing it and learning all about it, it sits in the Freightliner parking lot.

Needless to say we are disappointed and disgusted. Did we make a huge mistake?
Prior to buying this new one, I had read that a person should buy a used one so that someone else worked all the bugs out. I am hoping that the major issues will be resolved prior to the warranty expiring. Considering an extended warranty. Especially since we live in it.
I have not given up hope yet. The wife retires in the near future. Then we hit the road. Hope to get a few years of major trouble free travels. I realize there will always be something that needs attention.
Good luck to you.

Tags
freightliner