Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mystery number in "odometer mode".

Hello from a noob here. We recently purchased a 2004 Fleetwood Revolution (Freightliner chassis) and I'm trying to figure out what does the odometer reading mean. The coach has a smart wheel and the speedometer does not have the odometer on it. Instead, the odometer is to the left of the driver above the "trip reset" button. In the trip mode, the odometer used to read something around 43000 miles which matches all trip total numbers on printouts obtained from Cummins service on end of July. I wanted to measure the distance for our trip so I read the instructions and I held the trip reset button for 3+ seconds which caused it to go to zero. This is fine; however, when I hold the trip reset button for about 1 second and according to the manual instructions switch it over to the "odometer mode", I get a number of roughly 990,000. What is this number? And, as an owner/user, how do I get a real odometer reading without going to a service center?

Greatly appreciate all help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #2

On ours if I hold the odometer reset button too long it switches to metric and everything is shown in kilometers.

That could have happened to yours, I don't know why it would show such a high reading. Try switching back to miles by holding the reset button for a longer period of time.

By the way, welcome to iRV2.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for the welcome and for your reply. I tried both kilometers and miles. In kilometers setting (arrow beside K) it goes to something like 1800000 without any decimals. I tried calling Freightliner yesterday and they gave me a runaround. First they told me that they didn't know what the number was and then they told me that the RV manufacturer puts in the odometer so I should call American Coach. I did, and they just told me to call Freightliner back.

I'm confused why such a simple end-user question is turning out to be a headache.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 990,000 number represents the number of times the engine can revolve in it's useful life. When you hit 1,000,000, the engine will go into melt down mode and head for the nearest shop for a replacement........

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #5

Which Freightliner location did you talk to?

If you call the factory at Gaffney, SC at 1-800-FTL-HELP they can usually help. Have the last 6 digits of your VIN# ready and they can tell you exactly what's wrong.

They have a great reputation for solving these kinds of problems.

If the display really is messed up, there's an engine monitoring computer program and interface available from Silverleaf Electronics http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/?q=node/6

that plugs into the Freightliner diagnostic port that will provide a lot of information. The software is free for downloading and the interface box is available either from Silverleaf or RV Upgrades.

Maybe your engine has a lot more miles than you thought? Just kidding.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, so I called Freightliner 24h support again last night and this time I got a way more helpful person. The gentleman went into detailed investigation and asked me questions about the speedometer and then whether the odometer LCD has 1 or 2 screens. He suspects that the VCD may be faulty. Apparently, the VCD is just suppose to be reading the numbers broadcasted (by the ECM I guess), and for what ever reason it is adding some numbers to it. He suggested that I try calling a local Freightliner shop and ask them if one of their mechanics has an old test VCD that he could test this theory with. Apparently, mechanics often have one somewhere for testing electrical problems. As I'm able to deduct roughly how many miles are on the coach by taking the odometer reading that was there + how many miles I traveled after resetting the trip, I'll probably hold off from buying a new VCD (apparently around $400-$500) for little while. I'm going to look into purchasing that cable and getting VMSpc.

I also read that the VCD may be repairable? Anyone have an idea on where the VCD is on a 04 Revolution and whether a repair is possible?

As to the extra/way more miles - I hope not. With roughly 980000 miles over 9 years I don't think the coach would look too healthy.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #7

Not to be too much of a nit picker, but the controller you are talking about is the VDC (Vehicle Data Computer) and is the heart of the instrument system. For the most applications it is mounted in or near the engine compartment.

Here is an excerpt from the diagnostic manual:

"Fleetwood -
In the battery box, left hand rear, or right hand rear or in engine compartment."

The VDC is repairable, and there are several people on this forum that have repaired cold solder joints successfully. Do a search on this forum for VDC and you will find detailed instructions for making this repair. Certainly much cheaper than buying a new one.

Good Luck and let us know what you find.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No worries Martind4. At my youthful stage of owning this RV VDC and VCD are interchangeable to me.

I know that there is a plug for the VDC in the back, but I was trying to find one in the front. I'm not sure if it even exists, but I would appreciate help from anyone if it does and they know where it is.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #9

The front diagnostic port is under the dash next the steering column (right or left side) and near the floor. There was a carpet covered vertical panel that I had to remove to find it. Ours is grey colored and was capped and zip tied to another wire bundle making it a little hard to recognize.

You'll need to know if you have the 6 or 9 pin configuration before you order VMSpc.

Did you find your VDC location?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found one in the engine compartment in the back (it was a 6 pin), but I didn't find the one in the front. I'll look again tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:27 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, so I had to find the spot for the DRL module for Canadian import rule compliance and while I was looking through the cables under the steering wheel I also located the VDC cable so success x2. So far I`m very impressed with Freightliner. The DRL (Daytime Running Lights) are prewired, fuses and relay was installed and according to them all I should need to do is add the DRL module and I should be set. This is such a huge change from the on-your-own feel that we had with our 94 Sourthwind.

I also ordered the VMSpc cable so I should have a workaround for the strange odometer readouts later this week. I believe that I located the VDC in the back of the coach (battery compartment) and it looks that it will be bit of a pain getting to it. Huge bundles of cables are running in front of it and I couldn`t even move them out of the way to get a clear look at the bottom of the VDC unit.

Thank you everyone for your help.

- Paul
Old 10-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK, more update on my strange odometer numbers. Today I connected VMSpc to the RV only to find more disappointment. The VMSpc showed 4,278,693.0 miles, 232.0 gallons, 45:24 time, 94,244.3 mph, and 18,442.6 mpg in the odometer metrics (from first day setting selected). After a call with the 24/7 Freightliner line I was advised to go to a Cummons service center as these numbers are really messed up and they suspect something with the ECM. The previous owner mentioned that he had the unit in service and that they did some ECM flash. Freightliner rep. suspects that either the flash was corrupt or something hasn't been reset correctly. The miles are completely off the wall now and the time of 45 hours seems reasonable to about the timeline the previous owner had the flash done. Perhaps they reset the ECM?

Anyway, not the kind of news I was looking for as a 3 week owner. I'm nervous about the local Cummins service having their way with my wallet since they know I don't have much of a choice. I'm a noob at VMSpc as well and wouldn't be surprised if I had something mis-configured, but by all looks there is no avoiding spending some $ now in order to get some answers.