Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2019, 02:09 PM   #1

Need advice - chassis panel air conditioning repair

I just got off the phone from a local Oasis Freightliner shop, and I am majorly concerned I might be on the hook for a multi-thousand dollar repair but it doesn't make much sense to me..........

My chassis panel air conditioner stopped working, so I took it to an Oasis Freightliner shop. They examined the system (with dye) and found a leak in the lower air conditioning hose (line?) leading from the air conditioning compressor. They told me that they can't repair it, and that the entire line would have to be replaced. This would involve around 30-40 hours of labor as apparently this line twists and turns the entire length of the RV.

But then they gave my wife the name of a local air conditioning shop that said that they might be able to repair the line. So this leads me to believe that somehow this leak CAN be fixed. I called the local shop and they were kind of scratching their head as to why the Freightliner shop referred us to their shop.

To compound the problem further, when I asked the Freightliner Oasis shop what the specific problem is- is it a fitting? Is the line ruptured? Where is this compressor located on the engine? I'm getting a lot of head scratching as no one can give me a straight answer. When I go to the shop to pick up the RV on Monday, I'm hoping someone can help with the specifics.

Can someone give me some advice as to what I should do? Are there specialty repair shops that can repair ruptured air conditioning lines/fitting without having to replace an entire 35' length of air conditioning line? It just doesn't make any sense to me that an entire line would have to be replaced, at great expense, just to fix a leak.

Thanks.
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2019, 02:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, most AC Shops can fab a hose to repair a damaged hose. However, most are reluctant to fab a new hose into an old deteriorated hose. If the whole 35' hose is deteriorated, most shops will want to replace the whole thing. If the hoe is protected from the elements and not soaked with oil, it is likely salvageable. My 1995 has original AC hoses.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Yes, most AC Shops can fab a hose to repair a damaged hose. However, most are reluctant to fab a new hose into an old deteriorated hose. If the whole 35' hose is deteriorated, most shops will want to replace the whole thing. If the hoe is protected from the elements and not soaked with oil, it is likely salvageable. My 1995 has original AC hoses.
Thanks. I doubt the whole hose is damaged. It's a 2013, and from what the shop has told me, it sounds like it is just a leak, not a deteriorated line. These lines are steel anyway, right?

If this is a repair an air conditioning shop could do, why can't Freightliner just fix the line instead of recommending a multi-thousand dollar entire line repair?
Old 06-01-2019, 07:35 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The lines aren't steel...but rubber. And can be spliced if there is an issue. No reason they can't. I have spliced together a/c lines with a barbed hose mender and clamps.

FL probably just doesn't want to do it or want the liability of return issue.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
The lines aren't steel...but rubber. And can be spliced if there is an issue. No reason they can't. I have spliced together a/c lines with a barbed hose mender and clamps.

FL probably just doesn't want to do it or want the liability of return issue.
Yeah I'm really not getting this whole Freightliner Oasis thing. They can't do what should be a relatively simple repair, leaving me to find a shop that can do the repair AND will work on a motor home. Very lame.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:59 PM   #6

Yes have it repaired. My 05 had a leak at a chafe on a crossmember, bad factory routing, 30k miles. Napa had a splice, been good for 4 years,1hr labor and recharged
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDTN View Post
Yes have it repaired. My 05 had a leak at a chafe on a crossmember, bad factory routing, 30k miles. Napa had a splice, been good for 4 years,1hr labor and recharged
Where did you have the repair work done? Or did you do it yourself?
Old 06-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #8

Not talented to do it myself. I was in Indiana and needed some work done,and a private truck-strop with 5 bays ( had years under its roof) said they could splice it and did. Metal part about 5” long and the size of the hose. They ordered it through Napa. Ask around and see if any of the reliable shops especially if they work on alot of varied types of farm and big tractors. Some of those old mechanics can fix anything.
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
yes splicing in a repair fitting in the a/c line is easy and will work just fine. there are specific kits available and any good a/c shop should be able to do it.

its not rocket science but does require special crimping tools or hose end fitting tools, auto zone rents both.

my low side hose has a spliced repair in it about five feet from the compressor, been there since three months after we bought the bus in 09.

and this past sept i flushed, tested and changed o rings in my system that for ten years leaked down and this last trip of 600 miles we froze for the first time
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, air, air conditioning, chassis, panel, repair