Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:00 PM   #1

Need Alternator part number

I have a 1999 freightliner chassis with the tradewinds 7370 running the cat 3126. the decal has fallen off the alternator so I am not sure what the part number is to replace it?! I know it's the 160 amp model, but that is all. Does anyone know the correct part number for the alternator?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2017, 07:14 PM   #2

Call Quality Power.

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/

You may have a duvac style alternator, used with diode isolators. If you use one from a newer MH, it may not work and damage some components.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:05 AM   #3

This is what Freightliner put in my 2002 3126E. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same one they put in yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0921.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	170870  
JaminSamin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:44 PM   #4

Give Freightliner Help Line a call 800 385-4357. Last 6 of VIN and they will tell you the exact part number
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:50 PM   #5

I have the same rig as yours, but a 2000. Alternator went out in Columbia Falls, Montana. Pulled into Pet Dealer at 4:00pm. They tore it down, had to order one from Billing. (RV's take a bigger one than a over the road). Had me back on the road by 9:00pm next morning. $950.00. I'm rebuilding the old alternator..... don't have s cost on rebuild yet .
Old 08-18-2017, 06:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaminSamin View Post
This is what Freightliner put in my 2002 3126E. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same one they put in yours.
Can someone tell me if the two large studs on the rear of this unit are positive for each battery bank and both need to be connected on the positive terminal of a self sensing Delco 28si replacement unit?

Thanks

Old 08-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #7

No, one is negetive.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #8

Thanks Twinboat So the ground one should probably be grounded as well?
Old 08-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #9

Yes. There should be a threaded hole in the alt case to bolt the ground ( negetive ) wire to.

I see that your original alternator is modified to a Duvac system. ( The red tag ).

If your MH has a diode based battery isolator, the Delco, self sensing alternator may not work, unless you bought one with the Duvac modification.

A quick check would be to see if you have 12 volt battery power on the + alternator wire.

If there is power, you should be fine, if not, the alt won't sense the battery voltage and either not charge or overcharge your batteries.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #10

Here is a better picture of the connection terminals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0922.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	173490  
JaminSamin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:54 AM   #11

After all your help and input, it turns out I have the one with the Duvac design. It is the Leece Neville model. I found a brand new one, not a reman or rebuilt one for only $239 with free shipping and no tax. I installed it and it fit perfect. Once I started the engine, the alt gauge came to life! It is charging like a bad ass! Thank you all for your input, glad to get the right part installed so that I wont have a problem down the road. Install was a breeze. They didn't even have a core charge on the old one lol. Now, if I can only figure out the damm leveling jacks lol.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #12

twinboat, I am of the impression that the DUVAC part is more sensitive to two banks of batteries for a more equal charge of them plus minimize over charging etc.?
Old 08-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolds442w30 View Post
twinboat, I am of the impression that the DUVAC part is more sensitive to two banks of batteries for a more equal charge of them plus minimize over charging etc.?
The Duvac is an external sense connection, from the alternators, voltage regulator, that monitors the chassis battery voltage.

Rather the read the battery voltage at the output terminal of the alternator, a more accurate method is to read battery voltage at the battery.

It is great for your chassis battery charging and maintance but it will limit the alternators output, even if the house batteries are low.

While a Duvac is not necessary on a 2 battery bank system, that uses a isolation solenoid and IRD or BIRD, to control the charging of the house batteries, it is needed when the older, diode based solid state isolators, were used.

Diodes block voltage on one direction and when using them, as they do, without a battery sense wire to the voltage regulator, the alternator doesn't see any battery voltage. If it can't see it, it can't regulate it.

In your case, I don't know if you have a solid state Diode Isolator or a mechanical Isolation Solenoid and IRD or BIRD controlling it. They started doing away with the diode isolators in the early 2000s.

Let us know how the Delco works.

Tags
alternator