Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2009, 08:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRohrers View Post
Why are you glad the engine is in the rear? What do you feel are the disadvantages to the engine in the front?
The obvious advantages are less noise and no dog house. Beyond that most DP have air brakes and exhaust brakes. I have very good engine access by lifting my bed but that advantage goes away on DPs with bedroom slides. I really like the handling of my MH with springs and shocks. I can't speak for other DPs because I have never driven them, and I have not driven the newer gassers or FREDs. So drive as many as you can.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRohrers
Why are you glad the engine is in the rear? What do you feel are the disadvantages to the engine in the front?
I've not had a Fred but think I would be happy with one. I sure like not having engine noise. I think J Walker has listed very valid points. I do have a bedroom slide but the bed is not in the slide so engine access is still under the bed. From what I've seen of specs the DP handles a little more weight than a comparable FRED, which is important to me as a full timer.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:17 AM   #17

Thank for your input. Having had DPs with and without air brakes, I definitely preferred the standard power hydraulic brakes over the air brakes. I suffered brake fade with the airbrakes, even though not using hard and more than once had to wait for the air pressure to catch up while manuevering in a campground. The hydraulics were not perfect. With my driving style, I usually had to warm them up a bit (not too warm) to get more efficiency out of the disc rotors and pads.

Most of the Fred floorplans have level floors (no doghouse).

On an aesthetic note, most of the DP interior decors have grown too too fancy and upscale for us. The gassers tend to be little more plain (if you don't opt for ultraleather) and. for us, functional. Don't think we are slobs, but we do definitely go for the lived in look. Stop by and put your feet up on the sofa!!! All that said, I miss my diesel engine and allison transmission. Wonder if I can get a NINJA loan, hmmmm.

Not trying to sell FREDs. Think each has their place. Since I've tried the other, now I need/want to try Fred. May not be the camel (animal by compromise) I want, but who knows.

Appreciate the input
Old 08-24-2009, 08:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRohrers View Post
Thank for your input. Having had DPs with and without air brakes, I definitely preferred the standard power hydraulic brakes over the air brakes. I suffered brake fade with the airbrakes, even though not using hard and more than once had to wait for the air pressure to catch up while manuevering in a campground. The hydraulics were not perfect. With my driving style, I usually had to warm them up a bit (not too warm) to get more efficiency out of the disc rotors and pads.
Your experience with air brakes is very atypical. An brake can fade if overused, but air brakes which nearly always come with exhaust brakes virtually never fade. The exhaust brake relieves the air brake of the majority of the braking when descending grades. Of course you don't have hydraulic fluid boiling with air brakes which eliminates the ultimate fade. Losing air pressure when driving indicates a leak which should be fixed. I find less maintenance with air brakes since there is no hydraulic fluid to drain.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote