RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:36 PM   #1

New tie rod end boots, finally

All the tie rod ends on the drivers side of my coach had the boots torn. I have finally found some and installed them today. They fit really good. I'm throwing this out so maybe it will help someone else. I know I have read several threads about this common problem. The ones I used are Prothane 19-1716. It comes in a kit of 4 with 2 large ones that you can use, and 2 small ones that are extra. My MH is on the freightliner xc chassis with the straight front axle. I replaced the one on the steering gear, two on the bell crank and the one that goes back from the bell crank to the wheel. Both of the ones on the drag link that goes from wheel to wheel were good on mine.Click image for larger version

Name:	0322191458_Film4[2768].jpg
Views:	43
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	239052

sawmillman is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the information which should prove helpful to many.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:05 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good job thanks for sharing the info

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawmillman View Post
All the tie rod ends on the drivers side of my coach had the boots torn. I have finally found some and installed them today. They fit really good. I'm throwing this out so maybe it will help someone else. I know I have read several threads about this common problem. The ones I used are Prothane 19-1716. It comes in a kit of 4 with 2 large ones that you can use, and 2 small ones that are extra. My MH is on the freightliner xc chassis with the straight front axle. I replaced the one on the steering gear, two on the bell crank and the one that goes back from the bell crank to the wheel. Both of the ones on the drag link that goes from wheel to wheel were good on mine.Attachment 239052
Sawmillman,
I appreciate you're taking the time to post and take pics. I have a question. According to DTNA when I look up my chassis and all the parts installed on that particular one, I have found two different sets of tie rod ends. Two are sort of straight and two have a slight bend in them. I don't have the part numbers right now but, I'll look them up a bit later and post what I have found.
Both of my zerk fittings on my tie rod ends are damaged severely and will not really accept grease, NOT GOOD. Our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP on a Freightliner XC "Evolution" chassis.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #5

Quote:
All the tie rod ends on the drivers side of my coach had the boots torn. I have finally found some and installed them today. They fit really good. I'm throwing this out so maybe it will help someone else. I know I have read several threads about this common problem. The ones I used are Prothane 19-1716. It comes in a kit of 4 with 2 large ones that you can use, and 2 small ones that are extra. My MH is on the freightliner xc chassis with the straight front axle. I replaced the one on the steering gear, two on the bell crank and the one that goes back from the bell crank to the wheel. Both of the ones on the drag link that goes from wheel to wheel were good on mine.Attachment 239052
Very good information but I must ask, Where you you finally find these". Inquiring minds need to know.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:54 PM   #6

Well I bought them off Amazon because that's the cheapest I could find. I've only got 9 bucks invested in all four of the boots. I got the last they had at that price. They're $14 for 2 now. I found the ones I thought would fit by looking at every website I could find that sold universal ones and comparing measurements.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #7

Fire Up I'm not sure. On this XC chassis you have the short tie rod that goes from the steering gear to the bell crank. It has replaceable ends. They appear to be straight and the same on both ends. The tie rod that goes from the bell crank to the drivers wheel has non-replaceable ends. The whole assembly comes together. It does have a bend in the rod at the bell crank end. I'm not sure what the difference is between a XC and a XC evolution chassis.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Fire Up I'm not sure. On this XC chassis you have the short tie rod that goes from the steering gear to the bell crank. It has replaceable ends. They appear to be straight and the same on both ends. The tie rod that goes from the bell crank to the drivers wheel has non-replaceable ends. The whole assembly comes together. It does have a bend in the rod at the bell crank end. I'm not sure what the difference is between a XC and a XC evolution chassis.
Hey Sawmillman,
Thanks for getting back to me on this. At this point, we're talking apples and oranges. I say that because of the terminology here. Just in case you're not aware of certain names. There is a shaft that protrudes from the side of the steering box. On that shaft end is the "Pitman Arm".

Attached to the pitman arm is link called the Drag link. Now, normally, on most cars/trucks etc., that drag link is one piece unit that, connects the pitman arm to the steering arm on one of the front spindles. But on our rigs, the drag link is a two piece link. The first section is attached to an arm, that is connected to an idler. Then, there's the second section of that drag link, that connects that idler arm, to the left front wheel. Then, there's a link between the two wheels. And that one is called a "tie rod".

The one I was talking about in my first post here, is the last one, the actual tie rod that links the two wheels. The boots on those are not replaceable. You have to purchase a complete end. And, as stated, apparently Freightliner had two different tie rods in that era. And each tie rod had/has it's own style of ends. This is why I asked which ones you used. But, again, we were talking apples and oranges. Thanks for getting back here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:07 AM   #9

They look fantastic and sturdy. I have replaced tie rod ends, ball joints etc., but never just the boot. Did not know that was possible.......! Good job...
Old 03-25-2019, 07:12 AM   #10

Thank you.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:24 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Sawmillman,
I appreciate you're taking the time to post and take pics. I have a question. According to DTNA when I look up my chassis and all the parts installed on that particular one, I have found two different sets of tie rod ends. Two are sort of straight and two have a slight bend in them. I don't have the part numbers right now but, I'll look them up a bit later and post what I have found.
Both of my zerk fittings on my tie rod ends are damaged severely and will not really accept grease, NOT GOOD. Our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP on a Freightliner XC "Evolution" chassis.
Scott
Does your coach have the independent front suspension? I have a similar coach 2004 Horizon 40AD with the CAT 350 engine. Mine has this and I need some boots for mine but I don't know if they are the same. Have you tried to get new tie rod ends. I saw a thread that someone posted that they were hard to get. Mine also is an Evolution chassis
Old 04-03-2019, 06:19 AM   #12

Mine is not an independent front suspension.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #13

Tagging along for info on boots for the XC Evolution Chassis ( IFS ) for a friend with an 05 , Winni. that needs both outer tie rod boots replaced.
Looks like the boots pictured in first post are the same as my 99 XC with straight axle .
I'll keep those numbers on file for possible future use . Thanks