Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2014, 06:25 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
No brake lights

1999 Dutch Star DP 3884

I have no bake lights, I called the freightliner dealer and he said to check to see if the center brake light comes on, Yes the center brake light comes on, so he said it should be the brake diode

The freightliner dealer wants $120 per hour to come to the camp ground, from his shop, back to his shop, the clock is running

Does any one know where in the RV this is ?
and how much one of these cost ?
and where I can get one ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2014, 06:39 AM   #2

Have you tried taking the brake light assemble out and checking the grounds? Hope you get it straightened out so you can enjoy the rest of your trip
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #3

Dutch99,
Well Sir, I'm certainly no expert but, have done quite a bit of "do it yourself" stuff for a few decades. Now, this is the first time I've ever heard of a "diode" causing an outage of the brake lights. It doesn't mean it can't happen, it just means I've never heard of such a thing. With that being said, I'm sure you've checked whatever fuses might be involved in the brake light circuit haven't you?

There's always the seriously remote chance "Both" brake light filaments burned out at the same time but, the odds on that are about like winning the lotto. There's also a brake light switch some place in the air brake application mechanism. I'm not certain where it is but, maybe someone on here with a bit more experience of the air brake system can chime in and direct you to that switch and maybe you can see if you've got power in and out of it.

If you've got power in and out of it, then, obviously it's down stream from there. If there's a relay involved, you'd have to find that too. Finally, on many Freightliner chassis's, they install a totally separate set of fuses for the trailer plug on the back. Not sure it or they, would have any effect on your brake lights.

Finally, while certainly I'm not advocating you should do this but, you could drive to a repair facility of your choice to get this system checked out, without having brake lights. Again, it's not the safest thing to do but, if you're towing a toad, do the brake lights light up on it? If you're not towing anything, than it becomes a bit sticky out there if you're in traffic conditions. So, it's your choice. Sometimes you just got to pay the fiddler.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #4

Have you tried calling the Freightliner Help Desk? Free service and they give good advice. Have the last 6 digits of your vin number available.
1 800 FTL HELP

Fred
Old 04-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #5

There is also the possibility of problems with the turn signal switch.
Power for the center high mount, goes straight to the back, well both side brake lights, go through the signal switch, where they are interrupted for the signal lights. Check signal operation & connector at steering column.
I have wiring diagrams for our chassis, file is too big to post here, if help line can't get you the info you need , send me your e mail address in a personal message and I'll sent them to you.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
There is also the possibility of problems with the turn signal switch.
Power for the center high mount, goes straight to the back, well both side brake lights, go through the signal switch, where they are interrupted for the signal lights. Check signal operation & connector at steering column.
I have wiring diagrams for our chassis, file is too big to post here, if help line can't get you the info you need , send me your e mail address in a personal message and I'll sent them to you.
If you find you need a turn switch, one from a late 80s mustang will fit
To help with the turn switch diagnosis try this. Have someone watch brake lights with a cellphone talking with you. step on brake pedal with air pressure built up, wiggle emergency flasher switch located on the upper side of coluum (yours may be on the bottom). If the brake lights so much as blink, you need a turn switch.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brake lights, lights