Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #1

No Coach Brake Lights

Hello..

I posed this question over on the Tiffin Owners Forum, but hasn't gotten much action... My buddy is in desperate need of some advice/help..

He has a 2001 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40RP on a Freightliner chassis with a Cummins 330hp engine.

He has no coach brake lights !!!!

He has running lights and turn signal lights

He has replaced both diodes (brake pedal and engine brake) and the trailer converter box in the engine compartment for good measure..

Still no brake lights on the coach... What should he look at next?

Help !?!?!?!?!?
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Eric, you did not mention the 20 amp.(usually 20 amp.) brake light fuse has been checked???
Old 11-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #3

He didn't check for a brake light fuse... Does anyone know where he may find it on a Freightliner?
Old 11-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #4

Under the dash or back by the engine.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
He didn't check for a brake light fuse... Does anyone know where he may find it on a Freightliner?
Getting warmer I think.........
Old 11-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a similar problem (granted, on a different mh) and checked everything put like you. The fuse was good but I learned about the little inch square relays. I bought and installed the one for the brake lights and the problem was solved.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:47 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
If and when he locates the brake light fuse and sees it is bad/good, a wiring schematic would be helpful from that point on........ does he have one for the Coach?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #8

After another call to Tiffin... They told him there should be a fuse panel on/near the left frame rail... He is going to see if he can locate it and check all fuses and relays..

Hopefully he will be able to fix the issue with this information..

Thanks to all who have chimed in with help and advise.. as always, its is GREATLY appreciated !!
Old 11-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #9

Ok... so he hasn't been able to locate the fuse panel on the frame rail Tiffin suggested he locate..

Just an update on where he is... in case anyone else has idea's

So, as I said, he replaced the diodes for the engine and pedal brake at the steering column.. He also has checked the fuse panel located between the driver/passenger center console.. He even switched the horn relay with the brake relay and still nothing.. Additionally, he has no brake lights thru the 7 pin trailer harness.

He has discovered the "red" wire to the diodes on the steering column doesn't have power, but what is most confusing is the engine brake doesn't engage the lights either, and that is a separate circuit...

I suggested the air-brake relay... but as he said, the engine brake circuit doesn't run thru there and the engine brake won't engage the lights either.. Any suggestions/idea's on that ?

Needless to say... We are COMPLETELY stumped !!
Old 11-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Why does he not call the manufacture and request a wiring diagram to locate the fuse panel that holds the brake light fuse?????????
I have "blown" mine by hooking up the TOAD with the 4 ways on......(trying to get ahead for the light test) and the last time was when leaving for Lake Lure,NC...... I had the wireless prodigy brake controller plugged in......and when I hook the trailer up and plugged the cord in.......pop.......brake light fuse again. So I am getting to see, when I hook up......nothing is to be powered up till plugged in.......and that is how I know exactly where my brake light fuse is today.....
On mine, in the same fuse panel where the brake light fuse resides.....is a diode(fuse style) that lights up the brake lights when using the engine brake........Mine is "pulled".....personal preference.
By the sounds of what you have posted.........he needs to locate the fuse panel that houses the brake light fuse.........
Old 11-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
You can usually see the wires from the brake lights inside the rear cap. Sounds like they are all going to be heading to the rear, driver side of the coach. Can you see them? Because it is electrical, the fuse box those wires are heading to is going to be in a weather protected box or behind a panel. And we can assume that it will be reasonably easy to access (since it is a fuse box).

Having said that, I'd scour all of the nooks and crannies that look like they could be in the path of that wire bundle. Could even be behind a black plastic or metal cover, so a screwdriver might be necessary. I'm sure the direction that Tiffin provided is good ... now we just need to narrow it down.

Has anybody recently tripped over the cable that connects the MH to the toad brakes, I wonder? That's the kind of thing that could cause a short. Brake light fuses do blow, so the fuse would be a prime suspect, IMO.

Good hunting!

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
On my Allegro Bus I called the FL shop and they told me the fuse panel that had the brake light fuse in it. Turns out that panel was under the drawer in the dash.
rv05busdrive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brake lights, lights