RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Oil Filler Neck Question

I have an 02 Winnebago Journey with a Cat 330hp motor on a Freightliner . The other day while getting an oil change we found that the oil filler neck was able to extend from its original position out 3-4 inches. Normally the opening with the cap is next to the radiator on the right. On mine you are able to slide the neck straight out 3-4 inches you feel a definite stop it will not allow you to go any further, I thought possibly to make it easier to add oil and then push it back to the normal position. I spoke to Cat and Freightliner they were both a little vauge with their answer. Before I go climbing around to places unknown under and inside of the engine compartment I thought I would ask that other owners check their filler tubes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I have a 1999 Tradewinds with a Cat 300 hp (3126) and both the dip stick and oil fill ports extend. I don't see that it helps the oil fill much since the tube has a 45 deg bend up and extending it puts it closer to the body. This perhaps helps if it is installed in a truck.
The dip stick extends about 2 inches while the oil fill extends about 4 inches.

Looks like this is designed that way.

Dick

Old 11-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #3

I'm not sure if it was designed that way, but both my 05 CAT and 08 Cummins oil fill necks of the engines fit the pour spout on a Rotella 1 gallon oil bottles. I just invert the Rotella bottle and push it into the fill port. It fits tight, and empties without spilling a drop.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If the tube moves that much, the dipstick presumably stops at a different place as well. How do you know when the dipstick is reading correctly? A 3-4" difference is probably equivalnet to 3-4 quarts of oil that you are either over or under.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
RV Roamer,,,its the oil filler tube not the dipstick tube.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:00 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Hey Guys

GG1 asked for me to check my filler tube and I did that. It moves and doesn't appear broken. After I have my oil changed it the dip stick reads correctly with the tube pushed in. The filler tube is pushed in when the door closes.

Just reporting findings.

Dick
Old 12-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
its the oil filler tube not the dipstick tube.
Sorry - my mistake.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #8

My 2000 Freightliner XCS chassis has an oil filler tube that extends a few inches which doesn't help or hurt filling. It was designed for some other application than my MH. My oil filler tube is about 2' from the outside of my end cap and I have had to invent some ways to fill the oil. One was a funnel and a long rubber tube. Next I bought a pressurized tank that fills the oil more like the shops do. I found that I can supply oil faster than it can run down into the crankcase. Surprise, oil flows out of the slobber tube. I have since slowed down the fill rate.

Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote