Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Rotella 15W40 gets no better
When I worked on construction the contractors almost always used DELO in this area. But then again it might be that DELO was cheaper than Shell too.
Anyway I use DELO 15W40 in our Cummins, and last year I ran an oil test on it, came back clear and to test again in another 5,000 miles.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my last pusher, it held 5 gallons of regular Delo oil and I had it tested at 200 engine hrs and again at 300 engine hrs. End result was I was unable to drive enough miles/hours in a year to reguire/mandate an oil and filter change based upon the test analysis. So I changed the oil annually. 200 engine hrs x avg 50 mph = 10,000 miles, 300 hrs x 50 mph = 15,000 miles. [ Average of 50 mph based upon time idling, in town driving, and freeway driving. ]
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:55 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Oil and coolant testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
So how does one obtain the oil sample for testing? Not being cute or ugly, genuinely want to know where to get the sample and where to send it to?
Doc ,here is a thread with a survey (poll) about oil testing, Tom , the gentleman that started the thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/form...eer-89293.html owns a company that test oils. you will see the link to click on in his signature to go to his web site. He also sells pumps to extract the oil's for testing from the dip stick tubes.

http://www.jglubricantservices.com/b...ount-Flyer.pdf
Old 03-21-2013, 05:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE
Personally I don't believe in oil sample testing. I believe in just changing the oil on a set schedule and taking good care of the engine. Clean oil, clean fuel and clean air. The engine will then take care of itself and you.
I do oil sample testing. I have no interest in extending the change schedule but in monitoring the health of the engine. At the age of most of us on this forum, we have a regular physical at which time a blood sample is drawn and tested. The the Dr tells us this is high or that is low so I want you to stand on your head for an hour every morning. The engine oil sample is the same. The test shows a laundry list of "wear metals" and "contaminants". This can be an early warning that something need to be looked at before it gets expensive. I do the same with the transmission.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #19

You got it, the real reason for oil testing is to monitor the health of the engine, not the health of the oil. I have mine tested at Speedco every time I get the oil changed. This test is critical in my eyes when you are driving 10 to 12,000 miles a month. Probably not so much when you are driving that much in a year. But knowing what metals are being shed and how much and what other chemicals are showing up in your oil can prevent an expensive tow bill.
Lostsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=palehorse89;1503400 He also sells pumps to extract the oil's for testing from the dip stick tubes.
[/QUOTE]
Why buy a pump and have another thing to store. I use an easy drain plug with a nipple that allows me to connect a hose tube to. See end of Video. Makes it easy to get samples and easy to drain oil into recycle jugs.
Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #21

Here's another vote for Shell Rotella 15/40 all I ran in the 18wheelers that I owned, and is what I run in my Cummins. Also a vote for annual oil changes, most do it in the fall prior to putting the MH away for the winter, I opt for spring, just the way I do it
Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Rotella 15W40 gets no better
That's what I have used in my 3126 Cat for the 103k miles I have driven it.
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
130k miles, (103k mine)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Shell Rotella T, Chevron Delo 400 and Mobil Delvac are all excellent diesel engine oils. Pick your poison as far as any of the three are concerned.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Shell Rotella T 15W-40 is great oil. They have reduced the amount of ZDP (zinc anti-wear additive) in gas engine oils, so a lot of performance car and motorcycle folks are also using Rotella.

Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 (blue bottle) is a great synthetic oil, but doubles the price.

Walmart has it in both 1 and 5 gallon jugs at a great price.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Shell Rotella T, Chevron Delo 400 and Mobil Delvac are all excellent diesel engine oils. Pick your poison as far as any of the three are concerned.

Rusty
Have ran all three and I find Delvac 1300 my first choice.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Why buy a pump and have another thing to store. I use an easy drain plug with a nipple that allows me to connect a hose tube to. See end of Video. Makes it easy to get samples and easy to drain oil into recycle jugs.
Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™
You should take the sample from the middle of your oil. Contamants can collect to the bottom and give you a false reading. You should allso take your sample from a warm engin.
I run Mobil-1 5-40 I like that it flowes faster when cold and protects better when hot and under heavey load. I change yearley and do oil sampling to know what is going on in the engin and transmishion.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote