Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #1

Oil Pressure Gauge problems

I am in the midst of sorting out the last issue of many before embarking on a 7000 mile cross country adventure with my family. Thanks to your help, I have resolved everything but this. The oil pressure gauge was first sweeping all over and is now pegged at high with key engine on. I am thinking that it must be a bad ground, but I have no idea where it is grounded. The fuel gauge also sweeps occasional but ussualy works OK most of the time. Coach is a 1998 HR Endeavor 5.9 cummins 275. Thank in advance.
evotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Got the same rig.

At first glance it sounds like and oil pressure guage or wiring as you stated. Could be anywhere.

I have some chassis wiring for it so it is circuit 1113 in the diagrams that goes from the sensor to H1 on the Coach interface harness. (White Wire) From the interface harness it goes to pin 9 of instrumentation harness.

The Engine drawings i got from Access freightliner which I can send to you if you want. Send e-mail by PM

The oil sensor has two wires going to it. The white one goes to main sensor an another wire goes to the oil switch inside the sensor.

My best guesses

Bad oil sensor
Open wire to sensor,(maybe from rodents)
Bad ground at meter in the panel
Bad connection on one of the two harnesses

When you go to cummins for the sensor you will probably need your Engine and CPL numbers stamped on the engine.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used to have just that issue with my car, back when I had a car. Turned out to be a bad oil pressure SENDER.

Now.. On my car disconnecting said sender shut off the engine.

But... Just so you know it might not be a bad ground. (likely not since the gauge grounds , normally, via the sender) or short.

But you can do this.. Locate the sender, Lift the wires and turn the ingation to RUN, (Do not try to start) note the reading.. Now, use a test lamp to,, ALMOST short the lead to ground.. Note the reading.. That will give you informaiton.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I used to have just that issue with my car, back when I had a car. Turned out to be a bad oil pressure SENDER.

Now.. On my car disconnecting said sender shut off the engine.

But... Just so you know it might not be a bad ground. (likely not since the gauge grounds , normally, via the sender) or short.

But you can do this.. Locate the sender, Lift the wires and turn the ingation to RUN, (Do not try to start) note the reading.. Now, use a test lamp to,, ALMOST short the lead to ground.. Note the reading.. That will give you informaiton.
Great info. Pm sent
Old 06-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you called 1.800.FTL.HELP and spoken with a technician? Leave a message, they are 100% on call backs if they don't speak with you right away. Have you coach VIN ready because they will need to know what kind of dash unit you have.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:15 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
EVO

Drawings sent. You have to study it awhile. It does not include the HR coach wiring. That should be in you tech data furnished by HR

Also I haven't found the wiring to the Engine computer on this file. I assume it comes off the egine harness

Tom
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 06-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #7

I am not really getting anywhere on this, but I do have one more question. There are 2 oil pressure senders Right? One goes to the ECM and one to the gauge. If a oil pressure problem presented itself, the ECM would throw a code. Right? Do I really need to drive myself nuts sorting out this problem with the gauge or do you think it is safe to let the one going to the ECM just do it's job? I am going to call freightliner and present this issue and see what they say.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have reached the end of my tech abilities on this one. In the drawings I see one oil pressure sensor with switch and a oil temp sensor. I don't think there are seperate sensors just for the Computer.

Since yo said the fuel guage had a problem sometime you might have loose grounds at the panel.

You could ohm out the white wire off the sensor to the panel

Code wise I don't know. If your close to Spring Hill Fl I could check your codes for you with my VMSpc.

But by all means check with cummins. Can't hurt.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 06-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Found some ISB codes.

ISB Fault Codes List

You can scan the list and form an opinion.

This is why I purchased the VMSpc.

Tom
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 06-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #10

the oil pressure sender is so easy to replace that is the first thing i do when the guage goes crazy. i have replaced mine twice. if it is the vdo sender it is warranted for 2 years. they are not expensive.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
I have reached the end of my tech abilities on this one. In the drawings I see one oil pressure sensor with switch and a oil temp sensor. I don't think there are seperate sensors just for the Computer.

Since yo said the fuel guage had a problem sometime you might have loose grounds at the panel.

You could ohm out the white wire off the sensor to the panel

Code wise I don't know. If your close to Spring Hill Fl I could check your codes for you with my VMSpc.

But by all means check with cummins. Can't hurt.
Greystroke,

First off. Thank you very much for all the time that you put into this for me. I did call freighliner and also talked to a cummins tech. Both said that there are 2 sensors. The one to the ECM is the important one and it will throw a code and go into limp mode if there is a problem. Replacing the (probably) faulty sensor for the gauge is an easy job. I just don't want to spend another $200 right now. It has been an expensive few weeks getting ready for this trip and fixing more important problems.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well that is great info and I thank you for it.

I went to quickserve.cummins.com and put in oil sensor and there is two listed in the pictorial but it does not identify them.

The VMSpc will naturally read the computer sensor.

When I get back from my San Antonio trip I will locate them and do some tracing.

Good luck on your trip.

Tom
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors