RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:34 PM   #1

OK, who knows the most about "GREASE"???

Gents,
I'm always on the lookout for a good grease. I've bought and used them all from auto parts stores, Walmart, and other NORMAL outlets for that kind of stuff. But, so far, all the ones I've used are to me, barely acceptable in certain applications. For the normal ball joints, tie-rod ends, drive shaft u-joints, and a few dozen other applications, most of the regularly supplied greases found in the places mentioned above, will suffice.

There are times when I need something considerably stronger and will withstand compression and "sqeeze-out" much better than the normal ones. Now please don't ask why I need such a strong grease and where I plan on using it. That doesn't matter. I need it, and that's all that matters. I know there's got to be a mil-spec or industrial strength grease out there that is attainable from us laymen.

So, who's got some "inside" info on a very special grease out there?
Scott

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2017, 11:59 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Try Premium Lubricants | Chevron Lubricants

Old 01-03-2017, 05:53 AM   #3

After having a couple "premium" synthetic grease products let me down, I switched to Lubriplate 1242 for the wheel bearings on my trailers.

On the truck, both of the Freightliner dealers I've used for service seem to prefer the bright red grease, but I've never asked what it is. It sure slings terribly, but I haven't asked them about it yet.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Opti-Lub just came out with a new grease product.
It does cost much more then their old one.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #5

https://www.mobil.com/en/industrial/...hp-mine-series
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a friend who used to work for Chrysler.. They had a machine which kept breaking down due to lubrication issues.. Finally they called Castrol who came in, looked at it, and suggested one of their products (I do not know which one) Castrol then came back every period of time, tested the "oil" and changed, or added, as needed.. Machine ran trouble free for years.. Then Chrysler changed management, New management felt the Castrol folks were too expensive and returned to fixing the machine every few months.

NOW: I'm not recommending any specific libricant, but you ask who knwos the most about "Grease" and clearly.. It's Castrol..

Try an E-mail to them for suggestions. They will, of course, suggest their products, but recall the "Ran for years without problemls" above.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:29 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In a former life I was a salesman for HYDROTEX lubricants. One of the selling demos was to get a dab of whatever the customer was currently using and a dab of our grease on a kitchen spatula then heat the metal spatula over a flame. Brand X would always melt long before the Hydrotex stuff.

The grease was white and called MT-55 acculube. Sticky as all get out.

It was good stuff but cost 2X more

Here is the tech data sheet on it
http://www.powerlubeind.com/sites/de...culube_tds.pdf

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:35 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Years ago in 1965 I went through a Diesel School at Lamar Tech in Beaumont Texas. Part of the course was on grease. At that time in history the test for grease for different purposes was to get some between you thumb and finger and pull apart. The distance the grease stayed in tack was the rule. For Bearing Grease the rule was the grease should stay intact for 3/4 of an inch. Now that the technology has improved this test is probably out dated but I still use it. So for grease on any heavy duty parts I pack my gun with Wheel Bearing grease and for others I try to use a good grade of lithium grease which ismostly advertised in the marine industry. Not very tech but has workedd well for me.
Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #9

Gents,
I certainly appreciate your input and experience in this endeavor to find a good quality grease. Most just purchase a grease off the shelf at your local Walmart or, auto parts store, stick in the grease gun or, keep a small tub of it for various purposes and, are happy with what they have. For most general applications, i.e. wheel bearings, axle bearings, hubs and bearings etc. the average "Disc Brake" wheel bearing grease will suffice.

But, the main purpose or reason I'm looking for this ultra great grease is, for a friction project. I've posted this in a couple of forums thinking the more input I get the more I'd maybe find someone with some miracle NASA grease that CAN'T be rubbed off, no matter how much one tries. I'm sure it's out there but, it's a secret.

Anyway, for those of you that have Diesel Winnebagos and Itascas of or around the '04 era, the front entry door has one of the poorest brace/limiters known to man. That 100 lb. door can easily be torqued past it's limiters holding power. But, that's another story. The limiter/brace, has what's called an "over-center" portion that two black plastic blocks, pressured by seriously strong springs, ride on, then fall back down to a slim point, at which they are supposed to keep the door open at 90 degrees.

Well, as those black plastic blocks ride up and down on the brace, they eventually squeeze out all the grease and that will produce a SNAP as they fall back to the slim part. Noisy as hell and annoying to say the least. Well, I've removed that interior door panel several times to lube that brace and block path. It works for a short period of time, quieting the travel path of the blocks. You almost can't hear them ramp up and back down.

But, as stated, the grease disappears and, SNAP, here comes the noise again.

So, this is why I'm looking for some seriously strong grease, that will have the least amount of squeeze out, or push out, or whatever one would want to call it, and keep that mechanism quieter for a longer period of time. This is my game plan for the grease.
Scott
Old 01-05-2017, 06:51 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Scott

Take a look at this thread on Red Grease

Red grease (mechanic's glue) : MGB & GT Forum : MG Experience Forums : The MG Experience
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #11

Again,
I surely want to thank all of you for your assistance here. It's very much appreciated. I'm checking out all the links and will come up with something.
Scott
Old 01-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
In 35 years maintaining our fleet of now over 100 cranes and trucks this is the best stuff I have ever used.

Schaeffer Oil | Moly Syngard™ 2000 EP High Temp Grease

I have had many, many salesmen come in with their little tricks to try and convince me to switch to them and my grease always beat theirs in every way shape and form. I would send them away in shame with me laughing at them.
I don't even talk to chemical salesmen anymore. For that matter I don't talk to many. After 35 years I know what works for us and where to get it. LOL
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #13

TEXAS REFINERY. very expensive but the best.....
Old 01-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #14
DKY

Grease

I agree 100% with Cranmec . I owned a fleet of school buses and used Schaeffers products for 40 years. We used :grease,engine oil,rear end oil, trans.oil ,hyd oils, and fuel additives for cold weather flow conditions . Saved me a lot of $$$$$ Great company

DKY is offline   Reply With Quote