Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #1

overheated

I am new to this forum thing, so please bear with me. I have a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery with a 5.9 ISB cummins that I have owned for just over a year. I am over $10,000 into chasing overheating problems, both engine temp and exhaust gas temp. It had a Banks kit, but controller died and are no longer available from Banks. Power is ok, but cummins has told me not to run over 1000*. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks micogada
micogada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
$10,000 into overheating problems. I can't help you but that seems like an extreme amount.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wondering if the exhaust overheating is connected to the engine overheating?

This will not tell you what's wrong, but it should point you in the right direction:

1) Engines are cooled by air flow over them and water circulation inside them. And....engine speed (RPM's) affects both of these.

2) The water is kept cool by the radiator and the fan pulling air through it. Anything that constricts either the air flow or water circulation will raise the temperture of the engine.

3) Some possibilities: plugged up radiator....inside or outside, inadequate fan speed or blade misalignment or shroud failure, the engine Thermostat, the water pump.

4) It's simple, but that's it!

Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #4

micogada everything I have read on Cummins said not to run over 1300 degrees, not 1000 degrees. Also the ISB of your and mine!(1999) has a problem with the slobber tube getting oil on the radiator and charge air cooler, blocking the air flow. Try spaying with simple green and letting it soak, then spray with water into fan with engine running(messy but effective). Shine a light thru the radiator and cac to see if its clear. May have to clean mutli times at first. Then extend slobber tube down below radiator so it does not happen again.

Good Luck
beejay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #5

I agree, with beejay, when I had overheating problems with my '99, it was a combination of plugged radiator, and the thermostat was broken. 1000 degrees, is where my engine runs at most any given time, 1300 is where I start downshifting.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #6

micogada,
You say, $10,000.00, wow, pretty serious coin and still no cure? Now, I would have thought that spending that kind of money, and you don't say how much of that money went to shop(s), that the possibility of clogged radiator and CAC would have already been addressed since it's such a common issue with many of our Diesel pushers. And, while many have had over heating issued strictly due to that clogging, it's almost never reported of a exhaust gas temp rise at the same time. Now, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I just don't remember reading about any rise in EGT because of the clogged radiator/CAC fins.

After spending that much money, I'm not even going to suggest any other approach or item to check. I'm assuming everything's been checked and or replaced and or tested. Hope you get it fixed, that temp thing sucks.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
YC1

Well, if the radiator is good, the water pump is good, perhaps it has the wrong thermostat.

I just replaced mine at 5 years due to its failure and there is a totally new model for mine. Can't say the same for yours.

Caravanning to Florida from Calif my grandson "who knows everything at 19", has fought heating issues for a year. A new radiator solved the loss of coolant. A new fan clutch supposedly solved the fan problem. A new belt then solved more problems. Stopped at a car wash to clean the radiator.

I asked him about his thermostat. He said he changed it. When I kept questioning him he said he changed it last year. Grrrr. Made him find a new one specifically for his year and model. Took the new one and put in water where I could control the temps and it worked great. Took the old one out after he found a place he could spill a bit of coolant and put the new one in. Put the old one in boiling water. Tight as a drum.

Next day on the radio as I tried not to do a "I told you so question", he responded. The engine temps seem to be running right at 190 and on a hill they climb a bit, but then drop like a rock.

Sometimes, $20 and a lifetime of experience pays off.

In some cases you can even run without a thermostat to see if it will stay cool.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by micogada View Post
I am new to this forum thing, so please bear with me. I have a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery with a 5.9 ISB cummins that I have owned for just over a year. I am over $10,000 into chasing overheating problems, both engine temp and exhaust gas temp. It had a Banks kit, but controller died and are no longer available from Banks. Power is ok, but cummins has told me not to run over 1000*. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks micogada
I would think your overheating problem would likely fall under some of the above suggestions, but,

my unit when nearly new, would randomly overheat shortly after breaking camp. It gradually got worse, almost always from starting cold. We would just pull over, kill the engine, look things over, and when unable to find any reason, we would restart & it would immediately cool down. It turned out to be the fan clutch. After which we learned, the fan should be blowing air when cold and at idle. It must have been failing to run at all, during those failing times.
ns09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2002, 275 HP, ISB with a 5 speed. Bought new and now has 182,000 miles. I live in the South West so climbing with outside temps over 100 are a pretty common thing. Everything (radiator, water pump, all cooling items) are in working order. Still I have overheated 2 times since new. It was MY fault. I let the engine go below 2000 RPM while daydreaming on gradual long climbs. Keep a eye on your tachometer and keep those RPM's up over 2000. Try this before spending another dime on parts. Just MHO.

Good luck
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
My overheating problems started about a year after I brought a '98 Discovery.
Turns out that the Cummings ISB and maybe others of the same vintage have a
non closed engine that is to say that the crankcase fumes are vented in what some
call a slobber tube to the outside world.

The oil laden fumes are sucked into the radiator/intercooler and coat the fins
with oil and the oil traps dirt. When I first looked into the engine area from
under the bed I saw what looked like a wool blanket on what I could see
of the radiator.

I tried to wash out the area as best I could - it helped but I still had to watch
the rpm's and temp.

Long story short the only way to get the thing clean is to have it removed
and cleaned by a pro. They will check out the radiator for clogs etc. while
they are at it.

The next thing is to get a extension from the engine crank case vent past the
radiator and that problem will never happen again.

I had no more overheating problems with the Discovery.

Good luck....

USA(R), KN6OW, Life member ARRL, CRPA
Bryan66 is offline   Reply With Quote