RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:37 AM   #1

Overheating Issue

While we were driving from Trinidad, CA to Susanville, CA in our 2001 Dutch Star DP, we experienced some engine over heating about 2/3 of the way. On several occasions, I was able to pull over let the engine return to normal and continue for a short distance. After we traversed the hills and started level or downhill I was able to keep the engine temperature normal by driving in 4th gear at 2000 RPM. At Susanville I bought a window fan and placed it in front of the radiator and plugged it in. (It fit between the grill and radiators). I located the closest Freightliner service facility and called them. I was advised that they would get me in the next day for repairs. The next day, Thursday August 15th, I drove to Reno/Sparks NV to the Freightliner facility without incident-temperature remained normal. I arrived there at 10:30 AM. We unloaded some clothes and turned the coach over them. They called later to tell me that they test drove the coach and verified it did in fact overheat. They indicated that they would have to diagnose the unit to determine the problem. I called to get an update and they informed me that we were number four in line for the diagnostic team to get it in and that would happen Tuesday August 20th. I called Tuesday afternoon to get an up-date and learned that we were in the number two spot. They did get it in Wednesday the 21st and called me to give me the information and I gave them the go ahead for the repair. They indicated they had the necessary parts and we could pick up the coach on Friday. Friday came and went and it was not ready. We kept getting revised completion dates that stretched until Friday the 23d. That did not happen but we were told it would be done Saturday around 11:00. We finally checked out of the hotel and headed for the facility. After a couple of delays we were finally told that it would not be ready until Monday, August 26th early morning. We could not get a room where were staying so spent several hours finding a place to stay. Because we travel with Molly, our Border Collie availability of places is limited. We finally got the last non-smoking, pet friendly, room available. Monday morning, August 26th around 8:30 AM they called to say there was another delay. We stayed in the motel room until check out time and drove to the repair facility. To my surprise the work was done. It took about a half hour to get the paperwork done and pay the bill. We drove about 200 miles from Sparks, NV to Tonopah, NV. Twice I had to pull over to let the engine cool down. It got hotter than normal and I stopped before it over heated. I did not let it get to the warning light and beep. I believe I still have an issue with the cooling fan not working properly. I may continue to the Phoenix area to see if I can find a shop that can actually make the repair.
You cannot imagine all we went through cancelling reservations, loosing deposits, missing seeing friends and family we were scheduled to see. We ended up cancelling our visit to Yosemite in an attempt to get back on schedule, however, the constant delays and missed completion dates has completely destroyed the efforts we made to meet family, who planned a vacation to be with us at the Grand Canyon.
I hope that anyone driving a MH with a Freightliner chassis never needs service in the Reno, NV area.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #2

Reno repairs

What did they, supposedly, do to your unit? What is shown on the invoice (service/labor/parts) Any 30, 60, 90 days warranty?

Ray

'10 Harley Davidson CVO Streetglide
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:56 PM   #3

Overheating Issue

Welcome to the club.
It never ceases to amaze me how much outright incompetence exists in the so-called “repair” industry. I have a Freightliner chassis, and the best (or should that be worst?) examples of this kind of incompetence have been at Freightliner service centers.
I hasten to add that this does NOT apply to the Freightliner factory service center in Gaffney, SC. They have provided the BEST service on our chassis that I have ever enjoyed.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:21 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I too feel your pain. We took ours to the Freightliner Service Center in Mount Vernon WA due to a coolant leak. Two days later they called me, (the call was one day late) and informed me it had a head gasket leak. 12K to repair. I told them thanks but it is a 20 year old coach and I was not interested in spending that kind of money on it. When I go there the next day to pay the bill ($450.00) and pick it up the notes on the repair order said "probable head gasket leak, too hard to see to be sure)! $450.00 for that! I could have drug my fat hinny under there and determined that and saved the cash!
Sometimes you get what you pay for, but more and more these days we pay top dollar for below par products and services.
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Howard,

That's a nightmare story if I've ever heard one. When you get into the Phoenix area you may want to check out Freightliner Oasis Service Center in Tolleson. I haven't been there yet, but two of my RV friends have given it a positive review and I plan to have them do my annual maintenance in November.

I'm also curious about what work was done on your rig. Was the radiator cleaned? Thermostat? What did they do?

If you suspect the fan, be sure to pull over the next time it overheats and go to the back of the coach to see if the fan is running. I'm having an intermittent problem with my Tour where the fan doesn't come on after it sits for a few minutes and then I take off up a hill. I have to shut it down and after about 10 minutes I start it back up and everything is fine. Still working on that one.

What engine do you have, and is it a side or rear radiator?
www.LowesTravels.com
sdlowe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawjohnson View Post
I too feel your pain. We took ours to the Freightliner Service Center in Mount Vernon WA due to a coolant leak. Two days later they called me, (the call was one day late) and informed me it had a head gasket leak. 12K to repair. I told them thanks but it is a 20 year old coach and I was not interested in spending that kind of money on it. When I go there the next day to pay the bill ($450.00) and pick it up the notes on the repair order said "probable head gasket leak, too hard to see to be sure)! $450.00 for that! I could have drug my fat hinny under there and determined that and saved the cash!
Sometimes you get what you pay for, but more and more these days we pay top dollar for below par products and services.

What did you end up doing with the rig?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:29 AM   #7

Up Date To Information

The diagnostic team recommended that the cracked coolant tank be replaced.( I had already ordered a new tank and it is waiting for me at the next planned stop) (I did wrap the cracked area with fiberglass in an attempt to keep it going and it was working for several hundred miles) The water pump belt be tightened. The air cleaner be replaced. All of that was done. Fee for diagnostic activities was $300.00. I do not know what all they checked.

On several occasions I told them the cooling fan was not coming on. I even asked them to order another fan control unit as I thought that was probably the issue. They said when we did something (I don't remember the term he used) to check the fan it worked. They did mention checking the fan clutch.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:23 PM   #8

There will be a fuse somewhere for the fan clutch. Pull it out. Your fan will go to full speed and stay that way as long as the fuse is out. This will tell you your fan is working. If the fan is not comming on under normal running the ECU is not commanding it on. Unless they test drove it under load my guess is they did nothing but what I stated above.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:52 AM   #9

We did not make it Phoenix. We stopped at Williams. I ended up taking it to a Volvo truck shop in Flagstaff. They were able to get the fan working properly. It is a hydraulic fan system. They kept checking things and found that the radiator was partially plugged. I take back in next week for them to remove the radiator and have it cleaned and reinstalled. The Freightliner dealer gave them a hard time in purchasing the parts. Took hours just to get a price for the parts. Next coach will not have a Freightliner chassis. Good friends have a 2004 Dutch Star with Spartan chassis-so far no issues with theirs.

Guess you can tell I am upset with Freightliner.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:47 AM   #10

We are back on the road with a coach that is performing well. Vangard Truck repair near Flagstaff was great to work with. They kept us informed and did what they said they would do. We did end up with a new radiator as the old one, after cleaning, had some other issues. Vangard also corrected the tank installation that Velocity did. There were mounting bolts missing that allowed the tank to vibrate into the rear of the engine compartment. That caused the latch to bind making it difficult to open. The difference between these two facilities is amazing.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:27 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
hewebb

Glad to hear you are back on the road and doing well. Sorry to hear about your experience with FL Oasis in Reno. Recommend you contact them and demand reimbursement. Speak to the facility manager and not the service manager. If they refuse, which they probably will, contact FL at Gaffney - Customer Service and ask for assistance. They should intervene on your behalf with Reno Oasis which may end up with Reno loosing its Oasis status.

Being warned I know where I won't stop.

Thanks for sharing your experience and how you cam about getting it fixed.

Drive safe and enjoy - Richard
Old 09-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
hewebb

Glad to hear you are back on the road and doing well. Sorry to hear about your experience with FL Oasis in Reno. Recommend you contact them and demand reimbursement. Speak to the facility manager and not the service manager. If they refuse, which they probably will, contact FL at Gaffney - Customer Service and ask for assistance. They should intervene on your behalf with Reno Oasis which may end up with Reno loosing its Oasis status.

Being warned I know where I won't stop.

Thanks for sharing your experience and how you cam about getting it fixed.

Drive safe and enjoy - Richard

The facility in the Reno Area was Velocity in Sparks.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
There will be a fuse somewhere for the fan clutch. Pull it out. Your fan will go to full speed and stay that way as long as the fuse is out. This will tell you your fan is working. If the fan is not comming on under normal running the ECU is not commanding it on. Unless they test drove it under load my guess is they did nothing but what I stated above.

The fan is hydraulic and runs at normal speed until the coolant temperature hits 195 then kicks to high speed. When that happens, on a long up hill grade, the temp gauge drops quickly back to where it normally is.

The thermostats are 180.

Tags
heat, heating, overheating