Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
def

Send a message via Yahoo to def
Park brake frozen

When I last returned the coach to the garage after a drive in the rain, I set the park brake and lightly jacked the coach onto the jacks.

Seven days later, I started the coach and released the park brake. The air discharged but the brakes remained firmly locked. The coach will not move.

How do you get the parking brakes to free up?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Put it in reverse and let it go back a little and that will release the brake. This is common if you parked right after a rain.

Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #3

If they do not release using the method posted above you may have to get under your unit with a hammer. Bang on the rear brake drums.
( Mexico Unit)
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Seven days later, I started the coach and released the park brake. The air discharged but the brakes remained firmly locked. The coach will not move.
I assume you realize that the air doesn't discharge when you release your parking brake. Rather, air flows into the parking brake chamber and pressurizes it. If air pressure is ever lost the brake is applied.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
def

Send a message via Yahoo to def
Thanks Docj...no, I didn't know that but, I do now.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Is it cold in your shop, froze up? I have never had brakes seize up after driving in the rain while sitting for a bit, If your garage is heated or temps. are up, your braking hardware has a lubrication problem that needs tended to I would think...
Old 01-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks Docj...no, I didn't know that but, I do now.
Air brakes have a number of operating characteristics that are different from hydraulic brakes. IMHO it's worthwhile to understand the differences. You might want to read the air brake endorsement section of the CDL license examine for your state even if there is no requirement to obtain a higher class of license. Someday your life might depend on knowing this information.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Air brakes have a number of operating characteristics that are different from hydraulic brakes. IMHO it's worthwhile to understand the differences. You might want to read the air brake endorsement section of the CDL license examine for your state even if there is no requirement to obtain a higher class of license. Someday your life might depend on knowing this information.
That is some very good advice
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you call 1 800 FTL HELP they will tell you not to rock it. Rather press on the brake like you are making a major panic stop. I mean REALLY press on it. You may have to do this a couple of times. If that doesn't work you may want to call above number for plan B.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
UR brakes locked??

[QUOTE= Rather press on the brake like you are making a major panic stop. I mean REALLY press on it. You may have to do this a couple of times. If that doesn't work you may want to call above number for plan B.[/QUOTE]

If you do this be sure your park brake released. Not sure if you have compounding system but if you do it could make it worse. As for plane B, if backing or rocking does not release it may very well be that you have rusted brake components in the drum area. that will mean removing the wheels to get to the brakes. I recently had mine cleaned after several trips to UP state NY where they use a lot of salt. My rollers were frozen and things were a mess.

everything is good now and we put on another 5K miles with no trouble. I plan to have the wheels off every two years just to inspect the inside of the drums.
ladagobago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #11

Commercial Member

Quote:
When I last returned the coach to the garage after a drive in the rain, I set the park brake and lightly jacked the coach onto the jacks.

How do you get the parking brakes to free up?
Chances are your drums have rusted, causing the brakes to seize up. A little rocking is OK, but don't over-do it.

Also good advice above. Have your brakes serviced. Pull all 4 wheels clean off the drums and S-cams, lube the s-cam roller ends, make sure slack adjusters are working properly, etc. Not cheap. About 1.5 hours per wheel. I'd recommend this service every 2-3 years to keep the brakes working normally. Generally, no parts are required. The shoes and drums on a diesel will most likely last 100K mi.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake