Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2017, 08:24 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Park brake switch

I have been told by freightliner that the constant chiming under the dash is the park brake chime caused by a faulty brake switch. They said it is the most dangerous thing to change out on this chassis. Any tips or has anyone done this repair? Also as am aside, my cruise control stopped working about the time the chiming started but FL says the two issues can't be connected. Seems too coincidental. Any thoughts? Getting ready to make a run to Gatlinburg and really want the cruise back.. The chime speaker is unplugged for the moment. Thanks in advance.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2017, 10:40 AM   #2

Ok ; are we talking about the " park brake chime pressure switch "

I'm replacing mine , have the new one in hand , removed the original to get a part number off it. Took 10 days to order in wanted to make sure it was the correct one. Located just forward and above the rear axle on the drivers side frame rail.
Awkward yes , dangerous , unless your chassis is WAY different than mine .

What year and model is your Freightliner chassis ?

EDIT: In my year of chassis the chime has multiple functions , low coolant , low oil pressure as well as park brake not released so not a good idea to travel with it disconnected. I take it that you had the chime on, and no light saying the park brake was set , as the light has it's own sensor.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #3

When I first purchased my coach , the cruise would cut out any time the roads were wet. Traced to corrosion , and dirt between the wiring connections on the brake light switches , as soon as there was moisture on the dirt there was enough power across to make the ECM think the brakes were applied and the cruise would shut down .
Other years of chassis the cruise won't set while the exhaust brake is turned on , have you tried with the exhaust brake off?
Old 07-19-2017, 11:24 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What year and model is your coach..
Late model Freightliners had a recall on the brake switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccowboy View Post
I have been told by freightliner that the constant chiming under the dash is the park brake chime caused by a faulty brake switch. They said it is the most dangerous thing to change out on this chassis. Any tips or has anyone done this repair? Also as am aside, my cruise control stopped working about the time the chiming started but FL says the two issues can't be connected. Seems too coincidental. Any thoughts? Getting ready to make a run to Gatlinburg and really want the cruise back.. The chime speaker is unplugged for the moment. Thanks in advance.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree that your chime and the cruise control are separate issues.

A failed park brake chime will sound all the time when the brake is off and you are in gear, instead of just when your brake is on an you are in gear.

I replaced my failed chime pressure switch and had it installed by my local diesel mechanic. My ding ding ding is now gone gone gone!

Here's a picture to show what the little pigtail switch looks like. I ordered mine through Houston Freightliner and it cost me $65.04 including tax (I picked it up so there was no shipping). I had it installed by my local diesel repair shop (not in Houston) and the installation labor was under $100.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-01-17 19.27.05R.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	169274  
DKStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Ok ; are we talking about the " park brake chime pressure switch "

I'm replacing mine , have the new one in hand , removed the original to get a part number off it. Took 10 days to order in wanted to make sure it was the correct one. Located just forward and above the rear axle on the drivers side frame rail.
Awkward yes , dangerous , unless your chassis is WAY different than mine .

What year and model is your Freightliner chassis ?

EDIT: In my year of chassis the chime has multiple functions , low coolant , low oil pressure as well as park brake not released so not a good idea to travel with it disconnected. I take it that you had the chime on, and no light saying the park brake was set , as the light has it's own sensor.

Mine is a 2002 Cummins. I think that Freightliner was being cautious in the "danger" warning. The park light was not one when the chime went off but the tech at FL did not indicate that the chime could also be for other systems. Only the park brake set indicator. I have plugged it back in but have not had time to take it for a ride to see if it returns.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
When I first purchased my coach , the cruise would cut out any time the roads were wet. Traced to corrosion , and dirt between the wiring connections on the brake light switches , as soon as there was moisture on the dirt there was enough power across to make the ECM think the brakes were applied and the cruise would shut down .
Other years of chassis the cruise won't set while the exhaust brake is turned on , have you tried with the exhaust brake off?
Skip, that's a good point. I can't remember if the Jake was on or not. I will have to go for a test ride and verify if it works with it off or if FL is correct, when parked and in neutral, the cruise can be used to high idle the coach. Thank you for pointing that out.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Mine is a 2002 Cummins. I think that Freightliner was being cautious in the "danger" warning.
JMHO: I think they wanted to get you into the shop for an hour or hour & a half labor charge for a 5 min job.
It's no more dangerous than a differential fluid change, on your coach, and doesn't take as much time.
With the park brake set there is no air pressure to the switch so it can be removed with no air pressure loss , take all the usual precautions before going under the coach.
I'll be taking a picture of the location tomorrow; if the ground dries up, so I can go under to install mine.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #9

This bulletin should cover the dash system and gauges/buzzers and chimes, for your chassis , IF it was built before June 02.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freightliner gauges operation , testing.pdf (127.9 KB, 214 views)
Old 07-21-2017, 06:03 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm sure that's what they wanted.... But I ain't skeerd lol. I appreciate the pics if you can grab them since I'll be doing mine when we get back from TN. The biggest problem is no cruise. Hate having to watch my foot the whole trip.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:04 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On a side note, I came up with a heck of a trick to fix my slide motor mount that I'll share with you guys when I get a chance.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:53 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
FL responded with two things.... There is no fuse for the cruise control and they say that the cruise will work with the exhaust brake on. I'm puzzled as to how though since the exhaust brake would be trying to slow the coach down during deceleration and the cruise staying set during that seems counterproductive.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #13

Quote:
FL responded with two things.... There is no fuse for the cruise control and they say that the cruise will work with the exhaust brake on. I'm puzzled as to how though since the exhaust brake would be trying to slow the coach down during deceleration and the cruise staying set during that seems counterproductive.
That's the way mine works ; annoying as...... when you forget to turn off the exhaust brake ; and it activates ; on rolling hills and have to reset cruise , because the brake lights turn the cruise off.
Sorry no pictures today , too wet under the coach still , but drying up fast and 25 C, ( 80 ish ) forecast tomorrow , so looking good.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well hopefully you can get a dry spell to get that done. I am at the beach this week and didn't bring the coach so I am having a delay of game as well getting ready for the Gatlinburg trip.

Tags
brake, switch