Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:42 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Poor DEF Quality warning with Engine light

Just topped off my DEF tank at a truck stop. 10 miles later my check engine light came on with a warning on my dash of "Poor DEF Quality". No loss of power so I continued to my destination about another 100 miles.

I'm heading out again in a couple of weeks for another 1200 mile trip.

Is this something I should worry about or will it clears itself with some fresh DEF after I burn some down?

akcretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2018, 10:56 PM   #2

the problem with ignoring the warning and hoping it goes away is it could progress to the engine going into limp mode...I had the same problem, drove it about 30 miles to a shop. They cleaned the pickup in the tank, replaced the DEF fluid, filter and did a forced regeneration.
Total cost was $750.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:26 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with Dave. I would also put the truck stop on notice that you got some bad DEF at their pump. Save your receipt.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:47 AM   #4

my concern is that you stated that you 'just topped off' your DEF....does that mean that it was only a small amount from the fuel station?
maybe the 'previous' DEF fill is the actual culprit... but if the light continues to stay on, yes, I would drain the DEF and refill it, just as an easy way to DIY the problem. If the light continues, then it sounds like you may have a sensor related issue, not a DEF quality issue.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:25 PM   #5

Never thought about DEF quality. How can we be sure what we buy in the 2 1/2 gal jugs at Wal Mart, Atwoods, O'Reillys, etc. is of a good enough quality for our coaches? Since the stuff is a large percentage of water can the other percentage quality be a factor? When it sells for anywhere from $7.88 to $12.95 per jug is the price any factor in the quality?
Old 06-17-2018, 10:05 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
UPDATE
After a complete drain of the DEF tank, a new DEF filter and cleaning of the DEF injector. Performed a re-gen and everything looked good. Headed out on a 200 mile trip. 150 miles into it I get the "Poor DEF Quality" and check engine light again. Had a degradation in power climbing hills. Made it to my destination just as the red stop engine light came on.

After several calls yo Freightliner and Cummins it was determined that the QLS/Pump Sensor was bad. Found a freightliner dealer locally that had the part. Had it replaced and another re-gen done.

Drove the 200 miles back home and it ran like a top. Full power up hills and no check engine lights.

Part was just over 1k and labor. All said just under 2k for fix. Thank God for extended warranty. Didn't cost a thing for me.
akcretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Never thought about DEF quality. How can we be sure what we buy in the 2 1/2 gal jugs at Wal Mart, Atwoods, O'Reillys, etc. is of a good enough quality for our coaches? Since the stuff is a large percentage of water can the other percentage quality be a factor? When it sells for anywhere from $7.88 to $12.95 per jug is the price any factor in the quality?
The DEF you buy at the places mentioned are name brands and cannot be labeled DEF unless they meet ISO 22241-1 which includes purity and other quality standards. Shelf life could be an issue but not likely. A date code is on each container. One caution is to be sure the container has the seal, under the cap, intact. There are stories of containers being returned, filled with water, and resold to unsuspecting customers.
Old Yesterday, 12:40 AM   #8

Forgot to add, as far as cost=quality, if the DEF meets the ISO 22241 standards and is certified as such by having the API label, it is all the same.
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM   #9

Why were you having regens done ? DEF has nothing to do with regens.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Why were you having regens done ? DEF has nothing to do with regens.
You bring up a good question Nick,
One of the latest calibrations from Cummins has a SCR performance test that runs when a Forced regen is ran with Insite. It shuts off SCR dosing for the first half of a regen then turns it back on for the last half. The test compares the nox readings after the SCR catalyst from no dosing to dosing.

I'm sure the dealer ran the regen for the SCR performance test.
Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:00 AM   #11

That makes sense

NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, light, quality