Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #43

Loose Fuse

So I checked the fuse panel...typically located under the driver area...on mine it was directly under the driver side rear view mirror...looked around and found the fuse box for the chassis. It was not a model that had the schematic in the manual but the cover had the fuse names on it. There was one fuse that was somewhat loose. I secured that fuse. The name of the fuse? Chassis IP - - or chassis instrument panel. I am hoping that I have found a solution on my rig for the display center going dead and loosing power.

Like others I do not believe the engine actually turned off. There would be no way for it to turn back on since the key would not have been turned to crank it (and I don't think you can push start the diesel engine like an old car) so momentum of the vehicle would not help. It is located in the rear of the coach so difficult to hear but I am fairly certain it did not die. Not sure under what condition the engine would actually crank without some outside intervention. My mechanic didn't think that was likely.

Hopefully someone can benefit from this post. I don't think this solves all the issues, but it at least addresses the instrument panel blanking out then coming back to life. My dealer is believing (and hoping) the problem is solved as I am still under warranty. This problem is not reproducible on the spot so they admit it would most difficult to troubleshoot. My theory and theirs is that it is electrical and a loose fuse may very well be the culprit. Not to say there could be any number of other potential culprits.

Only time and the next trip will tell. I remain hopeful
anthstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2015, 02:58 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spendingit View Post
Tell me about the app - I loaded it and can't figure out how to input the codes.
The J1939 message is the ONLY thing displayed when it happens.
There are actually two apps you can get. BUT neither one seems to show the fault codes that you list. All of them are numbers only.

On the Cummins quick serve, it is cool, you need to put in your engine serial number, (I will PM my code for you to try) and it gives you the data plate into...and also lets you input codes. But the keyboard only allows numbers, and it looks like most if not all are 4 digit codes.

Where do you see the codes? Could it be a code from the Freightliner LBCU and not a Cummnin's engine code. since you now think the engine never stopped.

On the android Play Store, look for "Cummins Quick Serve" and "Torque Power fault codes"

Dan
Old 09-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #45

Intermittent low voltage or outright low period full stop?
spendingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #46

End of my rope with Freightliner

Freightliner says they have not been able to recreate the engine shut down problem. Also, they say there is no indication from corporate that anyone else has reported the problem.

I'll pick up the coach, park it and wait to see if one of you has some success. I don't know what else to do.
Numbnuts80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.facebook.com/cdllife/posts/767657176590563

Seems like a lot of people are having this problem.

I googled "freightliner engine shutting off" and got a lot of results.

I also tried to find out who is Freightliner's corporate lawyer. Had no luck but would suggest to you people who are having problems to contact their legal department and see if that prompts some action.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #48

I stumbled on to this thread while searching for other information on chassis maintenance this morning. We have had a sudden loss of engine ignition and dashboard shut down twice in the first 7,000 miles of operation of a 2014 4018 DSSP on a Freightliner chassis that now has 10,000 miles on it.

Once while cruising along a quiet street in a residential area at about 10 mph., just after going over a gentle speed bump, and once again at low speed while heading for our site in an RV park. Each time it took a second or two before I realized that the accelerator was not responding to foot pressure. The first time it happened I used the service brakes to stop, turned off the ignition key, and then turned it back on. The pre-start lights all came back on, I engaged the starter, and the tachometer registered engine revolutions. I reengaged the transmission and drove off. We speculated that I had somehow caused it by not keeping a constant pressure on the accelerator pedal. We called Freightliner and were told it was likely starving for fuel, so we should take it to a Freightliner service center to have both fuel filters changed. Although there was not a Freightliner specific shop near us, we went to a major truck service center who fit us in immediately and got the filters changed that afternoon. Paid our bill and thought, "great, problem solved".

When it happened the second time, it really spooked us, because since it had re-occured, it meant that there really was a problem with the coach. It was a topic of conversation for several days between my DW and I, and then faded into oblivion as we continued our travels, since we would not be going near a Freightliner shop for quite a while. Since it did not happen again, we just forgot about it.

On hearing of the hairy adventures some posters have had when the problem surfaced at highway speeds, it is now a concern for us again. I will ensure that the fuses and relays are pressed in snugly, and learn how to read my codes. I'll be subscribing to this thread with ongoing interest.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:32 PM   #49

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
just for some reason noticed this thread.
our 2008 f/l chassis damon did this a few times after we purchased it new.
i found several wire connection plugs under the dash, hanging in a way that caused a loss of electric connection without unlatching the connector.
my dash lights would drop off, gauge go haywire etc

might look there as well in the main bundles that come up from the forward electric bay where the black power box is located.

in fact if my 12 volt lights flicker while sitting at the campground...i can wiggle my passenger seat wiring connectors and it stops . even though the connector is tight and locked.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Called Fl, said he had not heard of these problems we are having. Asked him to check the irv2 , Fl. Replyes. He'll get an eye full!
Gsgarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:14 AM   #51

Power off while driving - Event #6 and FL action

13 miles east of Burns, Oregon we got a "No J1939 Data" message and the gauges went nuts, randomly powering off. Called FL - directed to a preferred dealer in Medford Oregon.

2 days at the dealer and we're waiting on paperwork to confirm in writing what they did, but the mechanic said he: ohm'd the J1939 bus while wiggling all the connectors thereon (60 ohms exactly as specified ); examined the 2 major connectors on the ends of that bus: (1) at the front outside the electronics box, (2) at the rear just ahead of the transmission); and finally (with consent from FL while I waited) detaching and applying electric grease (something they use in the shop) to the 2 main connectors.

The mechanic cleared codes most likely caused by the wiggling, performed a burn-out of the DPF, and told me that 1) there was water in the wiring conduit at the front which he drained and 2) the rear connector was, as my pictures show, nasty and exposed to water from below.

There is one very major difference between our pushers and an OTR tractor: on the tractor, the connector between the power frame (engine and transmission) and the cab is high and dry, mounted on the firewall protected from weather and the road; on our coaches, there is an extension between the power frame connector (just ahead of the transmission, blasted by dirt and water from the wheels and road) and a connector on the outside of our electronics bay under the drivers position. Both of these connectors are exposed to the road, rain and water and neither is "water proof".

Down the road we go, and the engine brake quit working just as we turned onto US199, VERY narrow, up and down, on the brakes most of the way.

The previous post about FL not knowing of anyone else with the problem confirms my plan of action - ALL OF US who have 2014 coaches built on the XC chassis are much more powerful than just myself. I have 4 valid and 1 invalid e-mail addresses. If you want to pursue resolution with me, please send an e-mail to gbryans@ix.netcom.com and include your name, the last 6 of your VIN and the date of production (on the sticker behind the drivers seat).

I'm going after FL hammer and tongs.
spendingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:05 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Still trying to sort out this thread….just so I can be ready if it happens on my coach.

In reading through everything, it sounds like the main symptom is that the gauges and the LBCU lose power.
I actually did a dash panel swap last weekend, and confirmed that ALL of the gauges are controlled by the LBCU via the J1587 data link.
The LBCU receives a lot of it’s information via the J1939 link….but I don’t believe that the LBCU can send any kind of command to affect the engine.
I did not try it, but I bet that when the engine is running, you could disconnect the two big connectors on the LBCU, and the engine would keep running.

So based on this, and some of the other posts (which state “No engine shutdown”), this sounds more like a relay or wiring harness connection problem coming into the LBCU.

Something that has not been clear is which ECU is posting “No J1939 data” error code. I suspect it is the LBCU.
On the LBCU, you can go into diagnostics mode, and retrieve error codes from the ECM and the ABS modules. But I do not believe these modules are posting any codes.

Regards,

Dan
Old 09-22-2015, 07:48 PM   #53

I have not been on the site for a while (too busy traveling!!)...but this one post caught my eye.....

About 6 mos ago while on a trip around the USA the MH in my sig experienced something similar......Driving along at leisurely pace and all of a sudden every idiot light and every warning sound came on....All gauges went to zero.....Engine seemed to run fine, I did not lose power....After about 10 sec all back to normal......

I had an appt at Gaffney for annual service and Camp Freightliner class so just tagged this issue on to a fairly long list of things for FL to look at......

Day of service I explained what happened to a tech in Gaffney and he said he has seen this before.....He said changing the LBCU would solve the problem......Indicating it was caused by a bad LBCU....This was done and about 9000 miles later the problem has not reappeared........Hopefully it has solved the problem......

I just continue to wonder if it was actually a bad LBCU or a bad connection???
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:29 PM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1209 View Post
I have not been on the site for a while (too busy traveling!!)...but this one post caught my eye.....

About 6 mos ago while on a trip around the USA the MH in my sig experienced something similar......Driving along at leisurely pace and all of a sudden every idiot light and every warning sound came on....All gauges went to zero.....Engine seemed to run fine, I did not lose power....After about 10 sec all back to normal......

I had an appt at Gaffney for annual service and Camp Freightliner class so just tagged this issue on to a fairly long list of things for FL to look at......

Day of service I explained what happened to a tech in Gaffney and he said he has seen this before.....He said changing the LBCU would solve the problem......Indicating it was caused by a bad LBCU....This was done and about 9000 miles later the problem has not reappeared........Hopefully it has solved the problem......

I just continue to wonder if it was actually a bad LBCU or a bad connection???
Now this makes sense....I assume they only messed with the connections at the back of the LBCU. They probably did not touch the other connectors near the engine. The voltage sensing circuit in the LCBU could have gone bad, and triggered a "Power On Reset", which lights up everything for a bulb check.

Regards,

Dan
Old 09-25-2015, 03:20 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Where is the LBCU on our 2014 Newmar Ventana 4036. Fl. said that the LBCU may be the problem. Hope it's that simple!!
Gsgarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:37 AM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsgarland View Post
Where is the LBCU on our 2014 Newmar Ventana 4036. Fl. said that the LBCU may be the problem. Hope it's that simple!!
The LBCU is what you look at for all the indicator lights and digital display.
The dash panel is removed, the bezel for the LBCU is removed, and fours screws will release it. It has three plugs on the back.

Should be a 15 minute swap.

Regards,
Dan

Tags
power, vent