Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2015, 06:44 AM   #15

Make sure you check the air filter minder and see if all of that dust clogged the air filter. On our last trip we were on many gravel and dirt roads with lots of dust. After a while I could see the minder approaching the "change me" mark.
Attached Images

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2015, 07:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
Use this every time you get home.

Radiator Genie Cleans out Clogged Radiators

It works. We use it on everything on the farm that has a radiator. Better have a good air compressor.
thanks very much for the reply

that was gonna be my next question... ,would water wash it out ,.. or make the dirt hard???

if you blow it in towards the engine... will that clean it out??
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Make sure you check the air filter minder and see if all of that dust clogged the air filter. On our last trip we were on many gravel and dirt roads with lots of dust. After a while I could see the minder approaching the "change me" mark.
thank's for the reply with the image.. Sure are some nice folks here...
if ever in vegas and need a hand holler at me..
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Use this every time you get home.

Radiator Genie Cleans out Clogged Radiators

It works. We use it on everything on the farm that has a radiator. Better have a good air compressor.
Thanks a lot. You just cost me $34.95 plus shipping.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:03 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
...what a mess... silt dirt all over the rear...isn't that getting sucked into the radiator and engine.....

LVR.... well yeah, I guess it probably is. But I never take my DS off road- except perhaps the occasional unpaved parking lot or campground road- and I'm still amazed at how filthy these machines get! Engine compartment, battery compartment, everything in and out loaded with dust and grit.

If you drive a lot off road, I think you just have to live with changing filters and cleaning radiators more often.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Last summer we did the "top Of The World" highway from Chicken, Alaska to Dawon, YT then we went up the Dempster Highway to the North West Territories about 45 miles North of the Arctic Circle. In total it was about 630 miles on dirt or gravel roads. We got a LOT of dust in every place you can imagine. We drove 20mph in a lot of places and no more than 40 in the smoother cleaner spots.

We knew this would happen but did it anyway as a lifelong dream to sleep in the RV above the Arctic Circle. When we got to Whitehorse we started cleaning everything and it took a long time to get it all out (there's still some dust in there in spots). We changed filters and cleaned the radiator and whole engine, battery compartments, unpacked everything in the bays and vacuumed and cleaned each item and the bays themselves.

Would I do it again? No.
Am I glad we did it? Oh Yes! Definitely! It was worth it.

If we ever want to do it again we'll drive the jeep and stay in the lodges along the way or rent a small class "C" or pickup camper.

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
LVR,
First off, based on your statement(s), I'm assuming you have a "rear radiator" diesel pusher. Second, you've found out what kind of mess, a D/P can make by cruising around off road. Third, if, you have a pusher and, it's a REAR radiator style, then yes, (A) the flow of air, created by the fan on the engine, flows from the engine, through the CAC (Charge Air Cooler) and then through the radiator and, out the back of the coach.

Fourth, those little tiny "fins" that people tape onto the rear/sides of the coach, will be absolutely useless in keeping the coach and or, anything else clean back there i.e. rear of coach, trailer, toys, toad, etc. when proceeding at slow speeds off road. The turbulence is created by the fan and that, is on the inside of the engine compartment, not the outside of the coach.

Fifth, in silt like conditions, the front tires will disturb the silt and cause dust and debris to flow around on both sides of both front tires and, under the front end of the coach. Now, you've got twice the amount of tires back there on the rear, causing twice the amount of disturbance of silt, and coupled with that is, your fan on your engine. Now, at last check, about 99.99999% of the diesel coaches out there that are rear radiator style, DO NOT HAVE FAN CLUTCHES that control whether the fan is on or off, during engine operations. have to disagree....my isc has a electric fan clutch and its a pusher rear radiator

So, what that means is, your fan is turning, 24/7 when ever your engine is running. What that means is, if you're cruising off road and, stirring up all that silt in to fine dust particles, yes, your fan will also cause turbulence back there and, along with the silt and dust kicked up by your tires, and, because of the massive air flow designed to be created by that fan, you will have a very large percentage of that dust and debris, get lodged into the fins of both the CAC and the radiator.

There's not a ton you can do about it if you insist on driving a D/P off road. You can "minimize" the effects by trying to run at a much slower pace and, therefore keep your engine RPMs as low as possible but, still allow the coach to keep moving towards your destination.
Scott
my 08 isc rear radiator has a electronic fan clutch...it does cycle on and off dependent on cooling needed
you just cant control that operation manually unless you add a switch
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
my 08 isc rear radiator has a electronic fan clutch...it does cycle on and off dependent on cooling needed
you just cant control that operation manually unless you add a switch
powerboatr,
Yes Sir, I realize that there MIGHT have been and maybe still are, a very small percentage of rear radiator coaches that could have a fan clutch on their engines. That's why I said "99.99999%" . And, I'm really basing my statement on CAT equipped coaches 'cause I've no experience with Cummins powered ones. So, thanks for the update.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:45 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
This is a normal situation on our dozers, loaders, and motorgraders. They can handle it. You just need to clean them more frequently. Careful not to put a high pressure nozzle too close to the fins.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:06 AM   #24

Quote:
thanks very much for the reply

that was gonna be my next question... ,would water wash it out ,.. or make the dirt hard???

if you blow it in towards the engine... will that clean it out??

I should have added that with fine dust use the air first. Blow both directions really good. If you just use water the dust will turn to mud then the mud will dry in the fins hard as concrete. We use this on our farm trucks and tractors. You will be amazed how much crap you can get out of your radiator.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
This is a normal situation on our dozers, loaders, and motorgraders. They can handle it. You just need to clean them more frequently. Careful not to put a high pressure nozzle too close to the fins.

Remember guys/gals every time the roads are wet, a lot of water gets picked up by the fan and pushed through that CAG/radiator. Like Scottybdivin said, just wash them out occasionally and be careful you don't damage the fins. I usually start the engine, and spray water into the fan, and it drives the water right on through the radiator and all over my wife's car when the windows were dowm.......OK OK, I only did that bone head move ONCE! After I got out of the dog house I remember to move her car out ... way out of the way first.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:56 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
is it a bad idea to take pushers off road......would a puller be better...
Yes, a FRED (front engine diesel) would be better. Worse than dust is the twisting the frame gets from the uneven surfaces. One thing for sure is that you don't want to get that thing stuck and it is easily accomplished. I really miss the 4X4 truck & 5th wheel combination for the boonie camping but not enough to go back.

I'm off of pavement quite a bit and frequently blow the radiator out. I do what we did on the farm, just take a piece of copper tubing, bend the end and screw it onto a blow gun, any length you want. Harbor Freight sells a similar item for $4, the end would need to be bent to make it work for radiators. Air Blow Gun with 2 ft. Extension
Old 02-26-2015, 05:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
Yes, a FRED (front engine diesel) would be better. Worse than dust is the twisting the frame gets from the uneven surfaces. One thing for sure is that you don't want to get that thing stuck and it is easily accomplished. I really miss the 4X4 truck & 5th wheel combination for the boonie camping but not enough to go back.

I'm off of pavement quite a bit and frequently blow the radiator out. I do what we did on the farm, just take a piece of copper tubing, bend the end and screw it onto a blow gun, any length you want. Harbor Freight sells a similar item for $4, the end would need to be bent to make it work for radiators. Air Blow Gun with 2 ft. Extension

Thoes work too. We have a couple kicking around in the shop somewhere. Once we spent the money and got these Radiator Genie Cleans out Clogged Radiators We dont use them anymore. The Genie is shorter I can get it in tighter places and it puts out more volume. You better have a good hold of it when you squeeze the handle or it will twist your wrist. I promise i an not a sales man I am just that impressed with something My boss bought off a dang infomercial. Radiators on the silage trucks will some in packed solid sometimes and this blows them out in no time. I almost never use the one for water. We have a hot water power washer for that.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:58 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thoes work too. We have a couple kicking around in the shop somewhere. Once we spent the money and got these Radiator Genie Cleans out Clogged Radiators We dont use them anymore. The Genie is shorter I can get it in tighter places and it puts out more volume. You better have a good hold of it when you squeeze the handle or it will twist your wrist. I promise i an not a sales man I am just that impressed with something My boss bought off a dang infomercial. Radiators on the silage trucks will some in packed solid sometimes and this blows them out in no time. I almost never use the one for water. We have a hot water power washer for that.
I'll take a closer look at it.