Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 07:05 AM   #29

would it be safe to use wheel cleaner to loosen the crud and wash it out

the wheel cleaner is safe for aluminum
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 10:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
would it be safe to use wheel cleaner to loosen the crud and wash it out

the wheel cleaner is safe for aluminum
LVRVLUVR,
First off, depending on just how long of time the radiator and CAC have had to accumulate road grime, blow-by oil fumes/dust/and more, trying to blow all that stuff "backwards" in most cases, would be futile. Those radiators are not thin. And, the fins are fairly close together. Even with the use of a pressure washer, the results would be questionable. Again, this all depends on just how encrusted the fins of both are.

Many of us have had to remove both of them in order to do a satisfactory job. I did on mine but, mine was three-fold. I had a radiator leak, I needed to get that fixed and, then clean both of them and, based on how bad mine were, there was no way on this planet that I could have done the job with them in place. And, I needed to do some maintenance on the front of the engine, i.e. belt tensioner bearing replacement, idler bearing replacement etc. Getting any nozzle from any garden hose or even a pressure washer would have and still is, impossible due to the logistics of where and how both of them sit, in relation to ANY possible access.

Some of boys have cut access panels into the top of the radiator shroud to be used for inspection and, even some maintenance. But, even then, on many of the coaches, that is really a very limited access.

In any case, the first thing you really need to do is, get a good, close up inspection of your CAC and, outer edges of the radiator fins. The CAC takes a lot of the brunt of what's "vacuumed" up by the radiator fan and, then "sprays" all that dust and debris onto oil-coated fins. Many boys use a version of 409 that is aluminum safe.

When I removed mine, I had the radiator on a set of saw horses and, sprayed a ZEP product that was citrus based. You should have seen the black goo that VERY SLOWLY emerged from the other side of the radiator fins. It took three applications of that ZEP product and, the use of a pressure washer. YES, I said a PRESSURE WASHER! Some run and hide when a pressure washer is mentioned in the same sentence as a radiator. Well, it did NO DAMAGE to the fins, WHAT SO EVER.

Those fins, on that radiator are seriously stronger than many automotive type radiators. It didn't even phase them.

So, if you find that yours is really clogged, then you've got some pretty tough work ahead of you. If they're not too bad, then maybe some spraying with whatever cleaning solution you determine will work for you and then, some use higher pressure garden hose nozzles to remove the dissolved mixture.

Anyway you look at it, it's seriously messy job for you, the motor home, and the surrounding concrete or surface your coach is sitting on. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
LVRVLUVR,
First off, depending on just how long of time the radiator and CAC have had to accumulate road grime, blow-by oil fumes/dust/and more, trying to blow all that stuff "backwards" in most cases, would be futile. Those radiators are not thin. And, the fins are fairly close together. Even with the use of a pressure washer, the results would be questionable. Again, this all depends on just how encrusted the fins of both are.

Many of us have had to remove both of them in order to do a satisfactory job. I did on mine but, mine was three-fold. I had a radiator leak, I needed to get that fixed and, then clean both of them and, based on how bad mine were, there was no way on this planet that I could have done the job with them in place. And, I needed to do some maintenance on the front of the engine, i.e. belt tensioner bearing replacement, idler bearing replacement etc. Getting any nozzle from any garden hose or even a pressure washer would have and still is, impossible due to the logistics of where and how both of them sit, in relation to ANY possible access.

Some of boys have cut access panels into the top of the radiator shroud to be used for inspection and, even some maintenance. But, even then, on many of the coaches, that is really a very limited access.

In any case, the first thing you really need to do is, get a good, close up inspection of your CAC and, outer edges of the radiator fins. The CAC takes a lot of the brunt of what's "vacuumed" up by the radiator fan and, then "sprays" all that dust and debris onto oil-coated fins. Many boys use a version of 409 that is aluminum safe.

When I removed mine, I had the radiator on a set of saw horses and, sprayed a ZEP product that was citrus based. You should have seen the black goo that VERY SLOWLY emerged from the other side of the radiator fins. It took three applications of that ZEP product and, the use of a pressure washer. YES, I said a PRESSURE WASHER! Some run and hide when a pressure washer is mentioned in the same sentence as a radiator. Well, it did NO DAMAGE to the fins, WHAT SO EVER.

Those fins, on that radiator are seriously stronger than many automotive type radiators. It didn't even phase them.

So, if you find that yours is really clogged, then you've got some pretty tough work ahead of you. If they're not too bad, then maybe some spraying with whatever cleaning solution you determine will work for you and then, some use higher pressure garden hose nozzles to remove the dissolved mixture.

Anyway you look at it, it's seriously messy job for you, the motor home, and the surrounding concrete or surface your coach is sitting on. Good luck.
Scott
thanks for the post

where I'm at is the coach is new... what to do each time I go out to the dunes and return...is more where I'm at ... to bad you couldn't just flip a switch and the fan would reverse to clean out the radiator
Old 02-26-2015, 03:01 PM   #32

Well Sir,
I kind-a got lost in my last answer to you. I forgot how new your coach was/is. And being so new, you most likely don't have the engine blow-by tube problem that many of the older coaches had which, was a main cause of the gunked up radiator/CAC issues. But, even on the new ones, I suspect that the fan will still pickup dust and debris and deposit it in the fins. If the blow-by tube situation has been remedied prior to your acquiring of the your year/model coach, then cleaning them SHOULD be a ton easier.

And, if as you say, you frequent the dune/dusty roads to get to your campsite, yes, you will more than likely need a cleaning of them at the very least, every other trip. You don't want that stuff building up in there. The more build-up you have, the harder it is to just "rinse" things out. Good luck, have fun in the dunes, we did for over 20 years 'till it got tooooo crazy out there.
Scott
Old 02-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
On the positive side, the dunes is mostly sandy dust which flushes out more easily than mud dust.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Well Sir,
I kind-a got lost in my last answer to you. I forgot how new your coach was/is. And being so new, you most likely don't have the engine blow-by tube problem that many of the older coaches had which, was a main cause of the gunked up radiator/CAC issues. But, even on the new ones, I suspect that the fan will still pickup dust and debris and deposit it in the fins. If the blow-by tube situation has been remedied prior to your acquiring of the your year/model coach, then cleaning them SHOULD be a ton easier.

And, if as you say, you frequent the dune/dusty roads to get to your campsite, yes, you will more than likely need a cleaning of them at the very least, every other trip. You don't want that stuff building up in there. The more build-up you have, the harder it is to just "rinse" things out. Good luck, have fun in the dunes, we did for over 20 years 'till it got tooooo crazy out there.
Scott
double thanks for the posts...detailed today and washed out the radiator,,,

figured I would wash it out after every trip down the dirt road...

we go to coral pink,,,,usally have the place to ourselves .. lots of good riding
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	excursion tires coral pink 003.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	87195   Click image for larger version

Name:	excursion tires coral pink 006.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	87196  

Name:	excursion tires coral pink 007.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	343.9 KB
ID:	87197  
Old 02-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #35

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	coral pink,sues 009.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	87198   Click image for larger version

Name:	coral pink,sues 010.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	601.2 KB
ID:	87199  

Name:	coral pink,sues 008.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	87200   Click image for larger version

Name:	coral pink,sues 003.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	338.6 KB
ID:	87201  

Old 02-26-2015, 10:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
double thanks for the posts...detailed today and washed out the radiator,,,

figured I would wash it out after every trip down the dirt road...

we go to coral pink,,,,usally have the place to ourselves .. lots of good riding
Well Sir,
I envy you. We "duned" it for over 20 years in the Imperial County Dunes. i.e. Glamis, Gordons Well, and, Buttercup dunes. As time went on, it got more and more crowded and, along with that, it got more and more GOVERNMENT REGULATED. Over crowding is bad enough but, when "Big Brother" steps in and coordins off the usable area to the size of peanut, then, it's time to vacate the place and move on to other forms of recreation.

I've always wanted to visit the Corral Pink Dunes. I've past the entrance to them several times when leaving Moab on the south side, after the Easter Jeep Safari that we attended for 14 years in a row. But, we never got there. Maybe some day. I have visited the Oregon Dunes. Now there's some nice sand to play in.
Scott

P.S. Those are some extra nice pics of the area. Sure would be nice to play in the sand without worrying about some drunk air head with a $100K sand toy that he's got no control over, jumping over a dune and landing on your head like they do in Glamis and the other ones.
Scott
Old 02-28-2015, 08:10 AM   #37

I certainly would never take our Dynasty off roading. NONE of today's motorhomes were designed for this environment. Just read all the posts in the FW forum where owners are complaining of air and rodent intrusion. Your Excursion is not sealed tight. That fine dust will be everywhere in your unit. You are ruining a large investment.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I certainly would never take our Dynasty off roading. NONE of today's motorhomes were designed for this environment. Just read all the posts in the FW forum where owners are complaining of air and rodent intrusion. Your Excursion is not sealed tight. That fine dust will be everywhere in your unit. You are ruining a large investment.
could we vacume it,... after talking to freightliner they remined me about what 95% of the diesel do.....work in the dirt
Old 03-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #39

Yes , many diesels work in the dirt. BUT they have a much better vir filtration system. Our air filters just barely meet the Cummins spec due to space limitations. Cat construction equipment does not have a "house" on the chassis with carpeting, etc. Also does not have cloth upholstery and propane appliances. You are comparing apples and oranges. Constant off road use will turn your unit into a POJ. Even the cupboards will be full of dust.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #40

LVR,
I've been on many "dirt" roads with our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and, while it's not a normal practice for us, the coach and us, have survived. DIRT roads can mean a lot of things. I've been on some that put out as much dust as pavement. On the other hand, we've been on some silty ones too. Much depends on your rate of speed while traversing a road that's not paved.

Yes, you do kick up a bit of dust that will migrate into areas that you wish it wouldn't. It's not the end of the world. The ones I hate are wash board. I have to go about 1/4 mph on those. We don't do much dirt camping anymore. We did with all of our previous GAS coaches. Those still got dirty too.

I think you've got the message about what's needed to keep your radiator and CAC clean after your little escapades in the dunes. As stated, I've never been to the Corral Pinks so, I have no idea how far of "dirt" travel you have to go, to get to your fun areas. I'd just slow way down, take your time, and you're good to go, so to speak.
Scott
Old 03-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #41

Quote:
LVR,
I've been on many "dirt" roads with our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and, while it's not a normal practice for us, the coach and us, have survived. DIRT roads can mean a lot of things. I've been on some that put out as much dust as pavement. On the other hand, we've been on some silty ones too. Much depends on your rate of speed while traversing a road that's not paved.

Yes, you do kick up a bit of dust that will migrate into areas that you wish it wouldn't. It's not the end of the world. The ones I hate are wash board. I have to go about 1/4 mph on those. We don't do much dirt camping anymore. We did with all of our previous GAS coaches. Those still got dirty too.

I think you've got the message about what's needed to keep your radiator and CAC clean after your little escapades in the dunes. As stated, I've never been to the Corral Pinks so, I have no idea how far of "dirt" travel you have to go, to get to your fun areas. I'd just slow way down, take your time, and you're good to go, so to speak.
Scott
coral pink we only go about 50 yrds off the road may be less... I could throw a rock to it..
Old 03-02-2015, 05:12 AM   #42

Quote:
LVR,

Scott
Well said my friend, well said. We use our toys for our fun. If that means a dirt or dusty gravel road so be it. Kind of like the Pinyon Flats Campground, CO just a stones throw from the Great Sand Dunes National Park. 3 miles up hill climb, washouts, washboard, dusty BUT OH THE VIEW! When we finally got to the top (takes a while at 1/4 mph!) the camp hose said "holy mackerel, that is the biggest camper I have ever seen up here". I looked around and said "Yea, the others are sure missing a great campground and a great experience".

LVR, I love your pictures and thanks for posting them. But I am a little confused. Are you riding the buggy's or those steers/cows into the dunes?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote