RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #1

Rear bags wonít inflate. What is this part?

Parked it fine at the camp site. Went to leave. No air in the rear bags. Got it up on blocks and food this valve to be bleeding off air from the bottom.

At first it would not hold any air at all. I dumped and leveled a few times and the bags will half air up now. It seems itís stuck and maybe closed a bit by dumping an airing back up. Any suggestions to get me home and what is this part called?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0DEAC055-C2A1-4C4D-B692-82A304A95187.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	248368  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #2

I'd say it's a air suspension dump valve , some chassis have two , on front one rear , the Bendix P/N on the item will get you the correct name and possibly a location for a replacement .
Did you try smacking it with a stick while it's leaking ?

Spartan or Freightliner chassis?

Old 06-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I'd say it's a air suspension dump valve , some chassis have two , on front one rear , the Bendix P/N on the item will get you the correct name and possibly a location for a replacement .
Did you try smacking it with a stick while it's leaking ?

Spartan or Freightliner chassis?
Freightliner. Didnít try the Arthur Fonzerelli method. Good idea. Will try now.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #4

No luck on the tapping it. It does only have one. What tells it to dump, the HWH?
Old 06-03-2019, 10:03 PM   #5

The HWH system is tied to the dump valve, to lower the chassis before the levelers are deployed.
Depending on the model of HWH system , the dump can be automatic or manual.

EDIT: I went online with the numbers that I could read from the photo , and can't find a match . Does the valve have an electrical connection on top ?
Can you post the numbers off the valve ; in case I read them wrong.

BTW: Sorry I asked about the chassis brand , I thought your question was in the Newmar owners forums , I now see you asked in the Freightliner chassis .
Old 06-16-2019, 08:20 PM   #6

these valves are now all made off shore... even for the OEM's... this is a inexpensive valve... if you wish to replace it you might try... powerbrakes.com

Talk to Sandra or Kathy, these are second generation people with lots and lots of experience... I've know them for maybe 25 years and they are honest people..
Old 06-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
The HWH system is tied to the dump valve, to lower the chassis before the levelers are deployed.
Depending on the model of HWH system , the dump can be automatic or manual.

EDIT: I went online with the numbers that I could read from the photo , and can't find a match . Does the valve have an electrical connection on top ?
Can you post the numbers off the valve ; in case I read them wrong.

BTW: Sorry I asked about the chassis brand , I thought your question was in the Newmar owners forums , I now see you asked in the Freightliner chassis .
Here are a few more pictures. The valve is a Bendix and the part number on it, I could not find either. Freightliner gave me a new part number for it and it's called a quick release valve BW K040971

It’s about $200 but I am curious as it what tells it’s to open. Could there be something upstream telling to to open and dump? Right now there is no air in the system. I'm going to start it up and see if that check ball that I see in the picture from the bottom is still visible and just not sealing. It's a low mile coach, and just picked it up so could be from lack of use and now something is caught up in there preventing it from sealing is my guess.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BC7A1D64-1209-4A8B-8E2D-F56E6CFEE07A.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	250240   Click image for larger version

Name:	4A7FCA8E-E888-4C9E-82E9-E99A53007C9E.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	250241  

Name:	D72E407A-595D-4B0E-9F20-309D4039E96B.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	250242   Click image for larger version

Name:	6F335808-48B9-40D9-BA8A-84B8544FA654.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	250243  

Old 06-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #8

More info : with the rear tires off the ground it will maintain 100lbs of air with the engine running. I can turn it off and and no leaking from the valve. Once I hit the retract button and the tires hit the ground it begins to leak.

Any thoughts?

HWH tech is horrible!! They are returning calls from May 15. Talk about **** support!!! I should hear from them around August I guess. What a joke.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:10 PM   #9

Hi Turbo38sfi; Just got finished reading your posts and the answers you have received. I have an 01 Monaco Windsor and have nothing like what is on your coach. I do have a question! I see the valve and the air line goes back to a black??? and then into a silver manifold. The black item looks like it has an adjustable knob that would screw in or out of the body. Have you tried turning the knurled part on whatever that is? To me it looks like it could be a air flow adjustment valve. Sorry, just grabbing at straws here. If that is an air flow adjustment valve you might be able to close it so no air gets to the other unit that is bleeding air off of your rear air bags. Just a thought as I have no idea of what I am talking about! Nothing new for me. Just thought I would chime in here. Let us know what the fix is so others can benefit. Try to have a good afternoon!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi Turbo38sfi; Just got finished reading your posts and the answers you have received. I have an 01 Monaco Windsor and have nothing like what is on your coach. I do have a question! I see the valve and the air line goes back to a black??? and then into a silver manifold. The black item looks like it has an adjustable knob that would screw in or out of the body. Have you tried turning the knurled part on whatever that is? To me it looks like it could be a air flow adjustment valve. Sorry, just grabbing at straws here. If that is an air flow adjustment valve you might be able to close it so no air gets to the other unit that is bleeding air off of your rear air bags. Just a thought as I have no idea of what I am talking about! Nothing new for me. Just thought I would chime in here. Let us know what the fix is so others can benefit. Try to have a good afternoon!
Thank you for the reply and I'm like you.I'm mechanical and can fix most anything or at least take it apart and put it together.

I thought of what you were suggesting.In fact, that knob just unscrews and there is a rubber diaphragm under it. I took it off and it looks in tact and clean. I'm thinking if turn that knob it's going to adjust the pressure going out of that line and will seal the valve that is leaking. Problem is that you're supposed to be able to pull it out and turn it...but it won't pull out. It's frozen in that position. Tried some penetrating oil...there's a nut and a threaded nut on the inside. No luck. I wiggles a little bit but you should be able to pull that down to increase the pressure on the spring diaphram...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	23BE82AE-4733-4497-A2A5-D1554B62ECB3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	250255  
Old 06-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #11

No luck. I got the know to turn but doesn’t feel like it’s doing anything. Off to Freightliner next week. Gotta be something simple too. Hate that!
Old 06-18-2019, 06:12 AM   #12

Hello

Is air leaking from hole at bottom or the white line? Last photo looks like a check valve. Good luck
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo38sfi View Post

HWH tech is horrible!! They are returning calls from May 15. Talk about **** support!!! I should hear from them around August I guess. What a joke.

Well HWH support is by a mechanic who when , not on the phone , works on the systems of RVs that have come to their facility , ... so not someone who will read to you from a book ; that you probably already have ; but provide real life info to help with your problem .

Now back to my question in post #5 " Does the valve have an electrical connection on the top ?"
If not, it may not be involved in the HWH leveling system , because it looks nothing like the suspension air bag dump solenoid on my coach.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Well HWH support is by a mechanic who when , not on the phone , works on the systems of RVs that have come to their facility , ... so not someone who will read to you from a book ; that you probably already have ; but provide real life info to help with your problem .

Now back to my question in post #5 " Does the valve have an electrical connection on the top ?"
If not, it may not be involved in the HWH leveling system , because it looks nothing like the suspension air bag dump solenoid on my coach.
Nope. No electrical Cinnection. Just 2 airlines.