Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2015, 05:03 AM   #1

S Cams

When I was at Visione RV the other day picking up my RV,one of their sales guys said he heard my S Cams clunking and I should get them greased. So what are they and where are they?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2015, 05:19 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
S-Cams >>>>
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:28 AM   #3

Thanks, very educational video. Gotta love IRV2 and the internet.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The video told you what the parts are and how they work but not much on the maintenance side. The anchor pins and s cam roller ends can rust or hang up. Here is a Meritor maintenance manual which is excellent.

http://www.todaystrucking.com/images/mm1.pdf
Old 06-13-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dry "S" cams can cause brake pedal pulsation, like an out of round drum or rotor. That's another way to know they're dry.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
When I was at Visione RV the other day picking up my RV,one of their sales guys said he heard my S Cams clunling and I should get them greased. So what are they and where are they?
Catcoach,
First off, I suspect you meant CLUNKING instead of "clunling". No biggie. I have not taken a look at that video yet but, I will after sending this. But, I had what many on here have had in terms of "clunking" brakes. Again, not knowing what that particular video displayed and talked about, I'll give you what the indications of clunking or, "sticking" S-cams are. Primarily, what was happening in our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, is this. As you were maneuvering the coach through slow speed operations, as in parking lot and slow street traffic driving, and occasionally applied the brakes, you'd get "clunk" in the front end.

It would not happen or, at the least you could not hear it at higher speeds. It was only at the very slow, low speeds. And, it was pretty pronounced. I could actually feel it.

Well, after a bit of inquiry on here and, some investigation, I was lead to believe it was the S-cams and or, related parts, that were in need of some lubing. If the video shows what they do and, where they're located, there's no need for me to expound on it. Suffice to say, that, the related components that the S-cams come in contact with, are what's what's in need of lubing.

I pulled my S-cams out and, those related roller parts, cleaned them all up, and lubed them ever so slightly and, re-installed all of it. The brakes were then adjusted to the tolerances they were at prior to my disassembly. From that point on, I was alleviated of the "clunking" completely. It's not a hard job but, there is a bit of technical procedures that must be followed.

In all reality, this is not a job for one who's very limited in technical expertise or, has limited tools, or a place to safely work and raise the coach, tires and wheels off the ground, much less handle those fairly heavy tires and wheels anyway. I'm not discrediting anyone here. If you think you can do this, and can either enlist help or, at the least be coached by someone of more adept of how things work and what needs to be done, then go for it.

This little tid-bit of maintenance/information is just that but, it's large in terms of the physical performance of it.
Scott

P.S. I just watched the video. That by far, is one of the most detailed explanations of how our air brake systems work that I've seen. This video should be seen by just about anyone who's got an air brake equipped coach so that he/she will have a better understanding of how things work. Not to be able to work on the system but, merely a better understanding. Outstanding. And yes, not much in the way of maintenance but, it wasn't intended for that. I'll look at the other link now.

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #7

In the course of lubricating the chassis, the S cam bushing, fittings are often missed.

The are between the wheel and the slack adjuster.

I have seen dry, S cam, shaft bushings, that would stick and hold the brakes on.

It is not a routine service item, to pull the drums and shoes, to grease the rollers, cam surface and anchor points.

Although I have seen thousands of them, I have never seen the roller or shoe warn down, from lack of grease. I have also never seen any grease left on them, from a previous brake job.

IMHO, grease the fittings and don't worry about the rollers, until brake replacement time.

If you look closely at the pictures, you can see the dry rollers, that are turning, as they should.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
In the course of lubricating the chassis, the S cam bushing, fittings are often missed.

The are between the wheel and the slack adjuster.

I have seen dry, S cam, shaft bushings, that would stick and hold the brakes on.

It is not a routine service item, to pull the drums and shoes, to grease the rollers, cam surface and anchor points.

Although I have seen thousands of them, I have never seen the roller or shoe warn down, from lack of grease. I have also never seen any grease left on them, from a previous brake job.

IMHO, grease the fittings and don't worry about the rollers, until brake replacement time.

If you look closely at the pictures, you can see the dry rollers, that are turning, as they should.

On my 02 Horizon the rollers did have a flat spot on them and were pretty rusted from lack of lubrication and had to be replaced well before the brake shoes need replacement....Thanks to Scott ( FIRE UP) I did the job myself....It is not a hard job just heavy duty....I got a kit off Ebay.... Meritor Brake Hardware Kit 8824HD...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:38 AM   #9

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I now have an appointment at my local Freightliner service center for this week to have my MH lubed and in particular the S cams.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for your comments. I now have an appointment at my local Freightliner service center for this week to have my MH lubed and in particular the S cams.
I just had this done to my coach along with other PM stuff at Gaffney. I was getting the clunk and could feel it as well when coming to a slow stop. It was around 4-5 hours to complete this along with the kit. Works great now
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:56 AM   #11

Just wanted to give an update, had my coach serviced at Freightliner in Asheville NC, great service, fairly priced. All was and is well, coach seems to ride better also as they went over the entire chassis.
Leaving on a 5000 mile trip this Friday so the peace of mind is wonderful. next year after reading all of the post here I am taking the MH to Gaffney as we are headed to Alaska in June 2016. Haven't even started this years trip and already planning next years. LOL
Old 06-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Just wanted to give an update, had my coach serviced at Freightliner in Asheville NC, great service, fairly priced. All was and is well, coach seems to ride better also as they went over the entire chassis.
Leaving on a 5000 mile trip this Friday so the peace of mind is wonderful. next year after reading all of the post here I am taking the MH to Gaffney as we are headed to Alaska in June 2016. Haven't even started this years trip and already planning next years. LOL
Good luck on your trip. Glad all went well with the last service. It's nice to read about a customer being happy with any service, anywhere, with any repair facility since there's so many bad reports out there. I think we're going to head out to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and, hopefully Glacier NPs in the next couple weeks.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote