Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2009, 05:33 AM   #1

Safe T Plus

Just bought a Journey on the Xc chassis. While it drives great, I was wondering if any of you have added a Safe T Plus? Did you see any differance?
I thought it might be of help in case of a blow out as well as a steering help. Thanks
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2009, 07:53 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd be interested in seeing these replies also. I installed the Safe T Plus on my workhourse chassis and loved it for how much it help steering the coach. My newer coach does not have the same steering problem but I am thinking of installing it for the problem of a blow out.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I posted this before and someone else also had a similar experience. I will not ever be without a Safe-T-Plus because of how my last coach handled when I had a right front blow out. I was driving just over 70 mph (I know, lead foot) with a group going through TX. My right front tire blew and took with it most of the side panel over the wheel area. I heard the tire blow but dot not feel it at all. I was in the left lane and was easily able to drive the MH into the grassy median where the tire could be changed. I originally bought it to help with the handling issues on that gas coach and it did a good job with that too.

I had one put on this Journey right after I got it and it handles great. I have driven it through constant crosswinds in SC that were 35+ mph according to the wx radio and had no problem.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #4

Safe-T-Plus

I had Safe-T-Plus put on my 1999 Chieftain and also on my 2008 Winnebago Tour. I also had air valves (motion sensors) put on these coaches which greatly helped reduce the xc chassis wallow so many complain about. I highly recommend both items.
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I'm the odd man out...

I installed a Safe T Plus on one coach and felt it was a total waste of money. And I wouldn't even consider it on a XC chassis.

Just my $0.02
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jim,

If you are considering something like the Safe T Plus, I'd suggest you also look at the Blue Ox Tru Center. I had one of those on my Journey and it was very effective in firming up the steering, reducing wander and I loved the ability to adjust the center on the fly. Mine got damaged due to the fault of a front end shop and, during it's trip back to the Blue Ox factory, it got caught up in their re-call of that first generation Tru Center.

After waiting nearly a year for the new Tru Center, I got a refund from Blue Ox and got a Safe T Steer. Can't tell you about blow outs but it does seem to help with overall steering control. If you really want to make the XC more of a joy to drive, consider the motion control units for the air bags....fairly remarkable improvement in sway control and overall driveability.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 PM   #7

Freightliner installs the STPlus on all their big trucks. I doesn't do much to change normal steering, but is intended to keep you out of the ditch if a front tire blows. Anyone who has had a front tire blow will tell you how frightening an experience that can be.

My coach, an 03 Journey, does a little better in crosswinds with the STPlus installed, but that's not why I installed it. I had a front tire blow on a church bus I was driving a few years back and I can tell you that God must have been in control because I was basically along for the ride.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
I own a 2005 Journey 39F. I installed a Safe-T-Plus and believe is added greatly to the stability of the coach. I had one also on my 2003 Adventurer.

Daniel C. Ellis
2005 Journey 39F
Portland, Oregon
dcellisesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Safe-T-Plus didn't do much for me as far a normal steering goes. In my opinion, it paid for itself when the right front tire blew about 40 miles from home. I had absolutely no problem steering the coach and getting safely off the road. Did have some problems cleaning the front seats.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
The Safe-T-Plus didn't do much for me as far a normal steering goes. In my opinion, it paid for itself when the right front tire blew about 40 miles from home. I had absolutely no problem steering the coach and getting safely off the road. Did have some problems cleaning the front seats.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I installed the Safe-T-Plus on mine within a month and 900 miles of buying it. I had the Steer Safe on a P30 before. Not sure if the XC needed it or not

I had a right front blow out with it. It went straight with no problem. Not sure if it was the Safe-T-Plus that helped.

Or by my following the Michelin video instructions on what to do when having a blow out.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

With only 6000 miles on my new coach I headed to Henderson's Lineup in Oregon to have a Safe T Steer, motion control units, and a new bellcrank installed. I wanted to make sure I wasn't masking a problem with these so I had it checked out at two FL Oasis facilities first and an alignment performed.

It made an amazing difference in the handling of my coach! I believe the tech told me that in many areas school busses are being required to install steering stablizers for blow out saftey.

I wouldn't be without it.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
kjk

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Safe-t-steer on Hurricane 30Q

I had one installed today. I got it primarily for security in a blowout situation but I expect it to help a lot in gusty winds as well. While I haven't yet seen it's performance in either of these situations I do have some comments on the installation.

The installation on my f53 chassis requires that the steering stops be changed. This is due to the limitation that the safe-t-steer imposes on travel (6 inches either side of center). I noticed the reduction in steering travel almost immediately and I hope it won't turn out to be too severe a limitation when getting in to tight spots in campgrounds.

When I picked up the MH it pulled to the right. I returned to the dealer and they adjusted it. Now it pulled slightly to the left. One more time and it was as close as it is likely to get to right on. The interesting part of this is that the only adjustment is the position of 2 U-bolts and the difference between the hard pull to the right and near perfect was a distance roughly equivalent to the thickness of the Stanley knife blade that the mechanic used to mark the initial position. The point of all this is that adjustment of this gadget is fussy.

I'll post again when the winds pick up.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote