Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2018, 06:53 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Seized alternators in 06 Tiffin Bus Cummins 400 ISL

We were driving on I 10 in Texas and got a check engine light. I checked the gauges and say 12.1 volts charging, I checked the belt and it was good and turning. The alternator was making noise. We made it 36 miles to Fort Stockton and got fuel and called Good Sam road service. They had Mutts truck service contact us. their tech Jeff said he could not get a part ordered until Monday and a Leece Neville alternator could cost as much as 3000.00 and min labor would be 10 hours at 165.00 an hour. I found at Napa a rebuilt by Wilson for 300. and i can put my fingers on all 4 bolts that hold it in. Today I will try to remove it myself. Freightliner has an ac Delco that crossed from the OEM number. I have read stick with the Leece Neville

2006 Tiffin Allegro bus Freightliner chassis 400 isl cummings side radiator
Thanks for any help Kevin Carr
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Why not remove your alternator and have it rebuilt? Call around the area you're in and see who can do the job.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:37 AM   #3

Kevin, I had my Leece Neville rebuilt twice. When it failed in 2016, I switched to Delco Remy. Took about 2 hrs to remove/reinstall at Freightliner. Don't know what would be different on your coach to require so much labor. The CAT C13 was a bit unique I think, was able to remove the alternator and drive back and forth to the RV park while waiting for the part, only alternator and AC on the serpentine belt. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check with Freightliner dealer for replacement. should be around $400. I had mine replace at the dealer for that amount plus labor. total cost $700. Still way to much. There are only two bolts on mine to keep in place. Mine was also frozen last month and I was able to rock it back and forth to free it. It still charged OK. I figure I had a lightening strike as I also lost my starter and progressive charger. If it goes again I will convert to a delco.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #5

I would toss the Leece Neville for a Delco in a minute.

They make a exact replacement.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:48 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I would toss the Leece Neville for a Delco in a minute.

They make a exact replacement.
I plan to do so. any idea where there is a cross reference?
Old 11-05-2018, 08:44 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I ended up getting a lifetime warranty alternator from O'Reilly's
The LN on mine had been rebuilt once...and that's all for it.
My FL dealer has a pallet stack of Delco's on their parts room floor. It is also a good replacement.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Delco will not fit

We just back from Freightliner in Odessa tx and the ac delco holes are the wrong size so it will not fit. We are waiting on a Wilson rebuilt leecs neville to arrive tomorrow morning from Napa

Tags
alternator, tiffin