Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2006, 04:43 AM   #1

As my sig says, I have a 98 Newmar Mountain Aire, on a Freightliner MC chassis. It has leaf spring suspension all around. The shocks look to be the original. It has about 20K miles on it. The way it drives (i.e. bounce and sway), it seems that the shocks need to be replaced. That is what I would do if it were my pick-up. Am I on the right track? IF so, what do you' all recommend for a good replacement shock?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2006, 04:43 AM   #2

As my sig says, I have a 98 Newmar Mountain Aire, on a Freightliner MC chassis. It has leaf spring suspension all around. The shocks look to be the original. It has about 20K miles on it. The way it drives (i.e. bounce and sway), it seems that the shocks need to be replaced. That is what I would do if it were my pick-up. Am I on the right track? IF so, what do you' all recommend for a good replacement shock?
Old 05-15-2006, 07:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Rob I have always used Bilstiens on my Newmars they have worked well for me if you plan on keeping the coach for some time the Koni's FDS maybe what you want may have better control of sway and moving around. Does your coach ride level and is the springs holding the coach body up off rear tires? I had to Newmars KS98&MA99 that I had to add leaf springs on KS and AIR BAGS on MA because of spring weakness in supporting the heavy Newmar coach box.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:00 AM   #4

It seems to sag a little in the rear. I checked my weights, they are ok. I have another question on here about the samething. About adding air bags to the rear. I wanted to be able to lift it a little when I pull in and out of the parking space at my house. The road is crowned, and the shid wheels always hit. Tearing up my rock guard.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The springs or bags added would cost about the same you may have more control with the bags with what you want to do. would need control unit on dash with compressor. Measure coach when level so you will know how much air to make level after clearence of driveway.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:30 AM   #6

Thanks. Do you have a source for the air bags?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I used Air-Lift bags. CW has them on sale with compresser and control unit for dash at times, Firestone also has them at most dealers. When I installed I put them at all four corners with control units for both front and rear pairs they now have auto control for the bags now that control ride to stay level. The bags will not increase your axel load limits. "007"
Old 05-16-2006, 05:03 AM   #8

Thanks 007. I will look into this. I checked with CW and they do not list a product for my coach. So, I will keep looking.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:52 AM   #9

Update: Replaced the shocks. Only ones available are Monroe's. All four were very bad. Front lower rubber bushings complety gone. They were just hanging. Added Firestone ride rights to the rear. With about 70 pounds of air, levels out the coach. Just got back from a 2500 mile trip. Rides soooo much better. But, on real rough roads, CD player still skips ocasionaly. Guess I can get used to that.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:33 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you still ride hard have your coach weight and inflate tires according to MFG's inflation tables you may find your tires are to hard from over inflation.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:31 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
If you still ride hard have your coach weight and inflate tires according to MFG's inflation tables you may find your tires are to hard from over inflation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To add to 007's response...weigh each wheel separately. Then check your tire manufactuer's weight / inflation tables for that specific tire to determine correct inflation for your load.

You may also find that one side or another is overloaded. If so, then adjusting the load would be a good idea.

Make sure that you weigh the coach loaded as if you were on a trip, (propane, fuel, water, etc).

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #12

I should have added that I did weigh the coach with trailer attached on the trip. I did need to adjust the tire pressures a little. Also, rearranged some of the load to balance a little better. Even fully loaded, and with trailer and two Harleys on it, I am still below the GVCWR by over 2.5k pounds. I think that the rough riding (only on real rough roads) is do the inherent leaf spring suspension. So, for what I have right now, IMHO I am as good as I can get, unless I fork out the big bucks and change the complete suspension over to air all the way around. (I have found that it can be done, but about $6-7k for parts alone). And, if the wife can sleep on the bed while driving, I am happy.