Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #1

Shocks and Air Bags

I have a 2000 Itasca Horizon on a Freightliner Chassis. I am in need of new shocks and airbags and am interested in finding out if this is something I could tackle myself. I have called a few places around here in northeast Atlanta and cannot get a reasonable estimate on labor to do this. One place has said 10 hours, another has said 13. Are there any tutorials or video's out there that anyone can point me towards to review? I appreciate any suggestions.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 11:42 AM   #2

I replaced my own rear shocks and had the front off the chassis to test them.
My issue was with the front shocks , re-install, because of the high pressure gas charge, I had to fabricate a small cradle for a jack to push the shock up to line up the lower bolt .
If memory serves , the front air bags , didn't appear to be a hard job; provided you can safely support the coach's frame during the process .
DO NOT rely on the leveling jacks to support the coach while you're under the coach!!!
I'd have to go under my coach to check the rear air bag access, and it's raining right now.
Too bad you didn't ask your question last week , I spent a day under the coach doing service work and could have taken pictures.
If you do decide to try this install yourself , and wheels have to be removed , remember the wheel nut torque is 450 ft/lbs and needs to be re-torqued after 50 miles.
If I'm able to get under on the weekend to view the air bags , I'll take my camera.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gadawgsfan,
I also have the 2000 model Freightliner chassis and I'm wondering why you're replacing the air bags?

Has one broken or are they cracked and dry rotted or?

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #4

The bags are dry rotted.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, you can

I have changed the shocks on our 2002 Discovery on the Freightliner XC chassis. If I can...you can. Don't even need to lift the rig. I would absolutely recommend spraying the bolts...upper and lower with PB Blaster or similar a few days before. The rears were really really tight...actually used my leg to start the socket wrench cos arms just couldn't generate the force to get them moving. Only one way to put them on so really hard to mess up.
Bilstein shocks are a little tougher to install because they want to stay extended and you have to hold them compressed. Konis are a different design and stay where you put them. You can do a search for Koni vs Bilstein so I won't open that can of worms :-)

Air bags on rear were a snap...easy. Fronts are tougher cos you have to access them from above since the axles is in the way (have a look and you will see what I mean). I did get a labor estimate of 200.00 to install front or rears from a local trusted RV shop...if that helps.

It is very dirty and greasy work but also really satisfying.

Good Luck!!!

John
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to tomgauger
Need some guidance here.
My '01 Monaco Exec needs new shocks. I don't have the part number and would appreciate any help on locating a source and also on a less expensive shock that doesn't sacrifice the great Monaco Roadmaster-S ride.
Thanks!
tomgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #7

I was able to replace the both tear airbags on my 04 xc in two hours so it's definitely do able on your own

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
throbbin367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:46 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
If you decide not to do it ARV #1 in RV Service isn't to far from Atlanta. I've used them a couple of times and am very satisfied. The generally get good reviews on rvservicerevies.com. And of course Freightliner Custom Chassis in Gaffney SC is highly regarded, people driver from all over the SE to go there.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgauger View Post
Need some guidance here.
My '01 Monaco Exec needs new shocks. I don't have the part number and would appreciate any help on locating a source and also on a less expensive shock that doesn't sacrifice the great Monaco Roadmaster-S ride.
Thanks!
Best thing to do is to call 1-800-385-4357. That's what we call 1-800 Freightliner help and it's 24/7. Just have the last 6 (?) numbers of your vin and you'll be surprised at all the info they'll have on your rig.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:36 AM   #10

I have a 2000 Damon ultrasport dp and am looking to replace the front air springs . The complicating factor is I am in UK , I have tried finding parts listing on line without luck. Does anyone know who manufactures them (eg firestone)
and what is part number so I can try cross ref or local supply , as shipping in from US just about triples the price , the VIN is 4uz6xfba9ycg74834 . Any help greatly appreciated
tacr2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Might try to wipe the shock down and find a part number.
Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks