Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2008, 06:15 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 1998 Winnebago Chieftain on a Freightliner chassis. ISB 275 with Allison 6 speed transmission. The speedometer now does not respond, the odometer is stalled but visible. The Tach works correctly. I checked at the data plug with the VMSPC and find the odometer shows about 200 miles less than the VMspc data. It must have quit about 200 miles ago. Since I use the GPS as my speedometer, I did not notice. Does anyone have a clue as to where to start troubleshooting? Evidently the sender is working correctly as well as the Data Module. Perhaps a connection somewhere?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:15 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 1998 Winnebago Chieftain on a Freightliner chassis. ISB 275 with Allison 6 speed transmission. The speedometer now does not respond, the odometer is stalled but visible. The Tach works correctly. I checked at the data plug with the VMSPC and find the odometer shows about 200 miles less than the VMspc data. It must have quit about 200 miles ago. Since I use the GPS as my speedometer, I did not notice. Does anyone have a clue as to where to start troubleshooting? Evidently the sender is working correctly as well as the Data Module. Perhaps a connection somewhere?
Old 07-09-2008, 07:18 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll bet that yours is a similar setup to ours. If so, here is what I learned:
1. The sender is in the transmission. If you are not also having transmission errors (shift inhibit, etc.) it is good and working fine.
2. The road speed data passes from the TCM on pin 26 on the gray connector (according to Allison). I have a 1000 transmission (5 speed) so it might be different but I doubt it.
3. On my Freightliner chassis, the road speed data passes through VIM (Vehicle Interface Module). The connectors on the VIM are acknowledged by Freightliner to be too stiff. It was either the input or the output to the VIM that caused me to loose my speedometer and odometer.
4. The next step in the wiring of the road speed data is the engine ECM and I was getting ECM errors (Road speed data invalid) which confirmed signal loss prior to the ECM.

Freightliner sent me a hardcopy of my wiring diagram. There were mistakes on it in the area of the VIM. After getting those corrected, I was able to trace the path of the road speed data from the output of the TCM (pulled the connector off) to the output of the VIM (also the input wire to the ECM) with an ohm meter. Since I worked on it and tightened up the VIM connectors, my speedo/odometer has not failed.

You should be able to swap the plugs on the back of the tach and speedometer, at least I can. The data is common to all plugs and the instrument that needs the data uses it. Obviously if you did that and the speedometer started to work, you'd have a different problem than I did. I had VMSpc which is a wiring harness which can feed a laptop. It collects data off of the chassis buss. In my case, VMSpc wasn't seeing the road data either. VMSpc also collects error messages and that is how I knew about the ECM error. I was getting a "check engine" light on my dash but only intermittently. My speedo was cutting in and out.

Let me know what else I can do to help you isolate this. Between the dealer and I, we spent nearly $1,000 letting a local Freightliner shop troubleshoot my speedo problem - and they never came close to fixing it.

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for your reply. I talked to FCC Support and was pleased with the knowledgeable response. I was sent via email a schematic for my coach. I guess on my model in 98 the instrument panel determines speed independently of the engine/transmission. Anyway, I lifted up the bed, reached down and unplugged two connectors from the box on the wall and re plugged. I didn't think anything changed as the odometer still read the same. But now it works. The Instrument panel odometer is now about 200 miles less than the engine computer. The connections looked all ok but must have been a loose connection.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I know the problem is in a connection at the grey connector in the engine compartment. I would attempt to clean with contact cleaner and might work. Could not find any pushed back connection pins or sockets. Finally put a bunjy cord around the connector to hold it tight to the body and that seems to take care of the problem.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It sounds like you are working on a connector the the VIM, which was exactly my problem. What I ended up doing was shoving a paper clip up into the specific failing wire in the connector while it was plugged into the VIM. The additional tension has keep the connector in touch with the VIM connection for two years and 8k miles.

I'm surprised that you didn't get a check engine light. I'd admit that mine didn't come up with that light all of the time but would set it when the speedometer went from working to failing.

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote