Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2016, 04:28 PM   #1

Steering stabilizer for 2001 Journey

Hello All, VERY new to the RV world. I've recently picked up a 2001 36' Winnebago Journey DL. On our shakedown trip we traveled from NW Oregon to Delrio , TX and back. About 5K mi. My main concern was keeping the coach from wallowing in my lane. The Safe-T-Plus stabilizer does not list my coach...Has anyone come across this? Thanks.
prospectors is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Something else you might look at are the Super Steer Motion Control valves to restrict the air flow in and out of your suspension air bags. They made a big difference in the handling of our Journey 34H. I have not considered steering stabilizer equipment, do not personally see a need for it. I have a good 90,000+ miles of cross country driving on it in virtually every imaginable weather condition.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #3

Thank you Fleetman, I'll put that also on the checklist. I know the shocks need replaced as well. Thinking new Bilstiens, but steering wander is at the top.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:27 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectors View Post
Hello All, VERY new to the RV world. I've recently picked up a 2001 36' Winnebago Journey DL. On our shakedown trip we traveled from NW Oregon to Delrio , TX and back. About 5K mi. My main concern was keeping the coach from wallowing in my lane. The Safe-T-Plus stabilizer does not list my coach...Has anyone come across this? Thanks.
Check the rubber spacers on your front anti-sway bar. If warn you can replace at a very reasonable price (under $50).
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:59 PM   #5

Thanks Charles,
After I read your suggestion, I checked my sway-bar bushings. They have been upgraded to Neoprene. The 8 smalls and the two big ones. Helps narrow it down. Thanks
Old 11-14-2016, 09:16 PM   #6

I had Hendersons Line-up in Grants Pass install a Safe-T-Plus on my Horizon. Before the install the Seesawing wasn't terrible but it was there. After the install it's gone. The part numbers they used were: STP steering control (blue) #41-230 and the bracket kit #F143K2.
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Thank you Jammin, I've identified the same. From feedback and other forum reads I'm sure it will make a difference.
Happy trails,
Old 11-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With a 15 year old coach, you might also want to check out the steering components for wear and looseness .
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:52 PM   #9

Thank you Gary KK
Tie rod ends and Bell crank seem to be pretty tight. But there's nothing new or replaced, so I'm sure their worn.
Thanks, Gary
Old 11-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #10

The best bang for my buck ride and handling improvement came with installing Koni shocks and upgrading the front sway bar bushings. Until I did this I thought MCU's would be part of the answer to better handling, after these mods I saw no need for MCU's.
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #11

why should they be worn? i cant imagine 300k to get to worn part.. but i guess there are some errors in machining that could have been out of spec. or Never greased even from factory. when alignment is with toe out it is my opinion that the steering wheel does get the back and forth motion much more. and i think is for race cars and straight or slight in toe is way better handling as long as camber i sequal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectors View Post
Thank you Gary KK
Tie rod ends and Bell crank seem to be pretty tight. But there's nothing new or replaced, so I'm sure their worn.
Thanks, Gary

Tags
journey, steering