Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Strange loopes in fuel filler area

I have a 2005 Forrest River Charleston on a Freightliner XC chassis. I am new to Class A life, but not to RV'ing, and certainly been fueling vehicles for ages!

I think this is a Freightliner item, but in each of the fuel filler areas, a little below the diesel fuel cap, is a wire loop. The wire is about 16 gauge, wrapped in clear plastic tubing, and is crimped to make about a 3/4 inch pull loop.

Wasn't sure if maybe it was to be pulled before filling with diesel, to maybe select which side I am filling from, but when I pulled one of the loops I could hear some air being vented. Maybe these are to vent moisture from air tanks?

Anyway, someone must know what these are for. The folks I bought the (used) rig from had no idea what they were, and they sell a lot of class A's

Been raining like crazy here in the Seattle area, or I would include a picture

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Could Forest River relocated cables to ping your tanks? FL usually sends them to manufacturer coiled on top of frame.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:12 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
+1 pull these to drain watef from your tanks.
two on one side, and obe on the otger.

Dan
Old 12-09-2015, 09:13 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Could they be lanyards to pull the drains on you air tanks? You might check by looking underneath while someone pulls them. Don't lay under anything that might crush you, putting the wheels on blocks or lowering your jacks might be a wise precaution.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #5

Normally three. Check in the front wheel arch on the rear wall, or on the inside of the front wall of a front storage bin.

Pull them for a few seconds every month or two. Any significant water comes out instead of air (you will see it on the ground) indicates air dryer service required
Old 12-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Thanks so much everyone, yes they are connected to the air tank petcocks.

Been raining an awful lot here in the Seattle area, and didn't want to lie down under the rig.

We used to pull our 5th wheel with a Volvo 780, and it was a pain to remove the battery fairing to get to air tank moister dump valve. This setup is very convenient!

Thanks again!

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel