Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #99

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anyone have a recommendation on the least expensive place to buy the Koni shocks? I get that done, I'm finished, well, except maybe MCD shades.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #100

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">With both chassis upgrades I really love the way this chassis handles and performs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Warpath,

Did you install the MCUs prior to putting on the Konis?

If you did how did you perceive the benefit of the Konis compared to the MCUs.

I installed the MCUs about 6 months ago and thought the improvement was great. I am debating putting the Konis on as well in hopes of getting yet better control and a smoother ride.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #101

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Harry

Yes I had the MCU's on first and used it that way for almost a year.

I would say the Koni's where about as impressive a upgrade to the chassis as the MCU's where.

The Koni's really improved the ride at speeds above 35 mph and made a huge difference in cornering. My rig was really tippy feeling on those rolling curvy 2 lane country roads.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #102

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks Bill! It is on my list of things to do, just have to take care of some maintenace things first!
I hope all is well, keep in touch!

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:21 AM   #103

I have been looking at these units for some time now and this got me wondering why couldnt I just use a simple STC brand flow control valve and mount it in line with these air bags?

For those of you not familiar a flow control valve is an adjustable air line device that allows full flow in one direction and an ADJUSTABLE rate of air flow in the other direction. To control air flow both ways you would simply use TWO of them in series turned backwards.

The good thing is that a flow valve like this retails for about $7 each and its full adjustable. It may take some experimentation to get the flow adjusted perfectly but I bet it will work.

Thoughts anyone?
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:31 AM   #104

Freightliner Owners Club
Don't see why it wouldn't work - although it might drive you nuts "tweaking" them until you get the desired results. The MCU's look to me like nothing more than snubbers - but I am quite pleased with the results, especially when coupled with the Koni shocks.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #105

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My rig was really tippy feeling on those rolling curvy 2 lane country roads. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the feedback Warpath

I found that rolling and leaning of the coach was practically gone after the MCU installation. I now have to watch my speed (speedometer)in turns as I tend to take them faster now and things go flying inside the coach and I still don't experience that excessive leaning.

You are saying that the Konis really help stabilized the coach with speeds exceeding 35MPH

Did the Konis smoothen out the ride at al such as the ridges present in the concrete road surfaces? I guess I-10 in LA would be a good test. I may get to try that again this fall.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #106

ROTTS4U wrote
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have been looking at these units for some time now and this got me wondering why couldnt I just use a simple STC brand flow control valve and mount it in line with these air bags?

For those of you not familiar a flow control valve is an adjustable air line device that allows full flow in one direction and an ADJUSTABLE rate of air flow in the other direction. To control air flow both ways you would simply use TWO of them in series turned backwards.

The good thing is that a flow valve like this retails for about $7 each and its full adjustable. It may take some experimentation to get the flow adjusted perfectly but I bet it will work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have some interest in this idea. Does anyone know if the MCU restricts flow in both directions or just
restricts the flow from the airbag?
Old 05-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #107

Damon Owners Club
Quick test results. Our trip to Atlanta was so nice with the MCU's on.

The other half was able to go back in the bedroom and actually fell asleep going down the road, including through the road construction on I-75. This is a big deal as he always has gotten motion sickness when going back in the bedroom.

The MCU's ROCK!!!!! Worth every penny...
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #108

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ok here is my report of the MCU's. Install was very easy, as long as you have a straight cut, all four were done in a hour. The rear were a pain since there is limited space to get under the rig, and not allot of tubing to work with.

I just got back from Massachusets. I have to say the ride there and back I noticed a huge difference. And not only did I but even my 13yo son made a comment how it was smoother. I went through some pretty rolling roads and we camped at Pine Acres, which also had some rolling turns in the campground and it was a huge improvemnt, and the bar stayed in the cabinet and not on my floor like before

So fo those who have probelms with the Walmart wobble, I think this is a wise investment!

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:58 AM   #109

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have never installed new in the box a set of 1/4 inch Motion Control valves for sale. I have my new Coach and it does not need these. Make me an offer.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:29 AM   #110

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone the valves have been sold.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #111

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For anyone having trouble when passing or being passed by a semi I recommend using Airtabs (Aerodynamic truck-trailer-RV add-on for fuel saving- stability-safety). I had them on a 5th wheel then put on my DP (07 Tuscany 4055).
BJFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #112

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How did you size these units?
BJFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote