Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #1

Surge tank

I have a 2005 Winnebago Vectra with the cummins 400 ISL engine. I am loosing coolant and I can see the after effects, but have yet to find the leak. The surge tank is plastic and you can not see the fluid in it. Having a hard time finding the replacement. I also took it to the freightliner Oasis in Tucson, and noticed on my receipt it says that they checked the SCA/DCA levels, but then also says topped off with fleetguard OAT type coolant. Confusing. Anyway, just trying to track down the leak, did mechanics put in too much coolant? I want to locate a surge tank that I can see the fluid in. Don't really think sun will be an issue due to where the tank sits.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2017, 09:23 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If your coolant is the SCA type, you cannot put OAT in it. I hope you double check with FreightLiner on this.
As far as the leak, the plastic tanks are known for leaking and you should be able to order a new one from FreightLiner. Ours is not actually clear but you can see the fluid level . Did the FreightLiner shop check for leaks underneath at the hose connections?
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #3

The coach was taken to them a year ago when I bought it. It specifically says the coolant replaced (1 gallon) coolant-es compleat e.g. oat pre. The sticker on the back of the coach in the motor compartment says sca has been used. Is there a way for me to find out what was in there originally. Also I have sent a sample tp JG lubricants. waiting on the results
Old 11-25-2017, 04:27 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The surge tanks can leak while under way with more heat and more RPM. They have a history of developing very small pin holes that will only show up with high pressure. Don' t ask how I know.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:36 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gaffney replaced mine last Jan. 2 hour labor (@$100/hour) and $104.61 for the tank.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #6

I have seen a metal replacement tank and hope I can find that. I will call freightliner tomorrow morning. I saw the old write up from John Canfield and it appears his was just like mine. Can't remember if it was on this site or another. I have been chasing this leak and was convinced the surge tank was OK, but then saw some cracks and you can literally scrape the old plastic away with your fingernail. Also going to flush and clean than replace with the OAT antifreeze.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #7

I believe I found the right tank, but I got it on eBay. Have to wait till it arrives to make sure, but the part # was VML-T3495. I called freightliner in Arizona and they only had the kit which was considerably more expensive. Parts only they wanted $1069.44 before taxes. The tank on eBay looks like the right one and it was $250.00. I'm sure I will find a way to fit it myself.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:10 PM   #8

I had the surgery tank on my 04 ISB 300 go while on my way North from FL to MA. I found a replacement in PA at a Freightliner dealer. However, when I got there the service bays had already closed. I changed it myself in their lot! It took me about 90 minutes and wasn't difficult at all. They only pain was getting at some of the mounting bolts. You should have no problem if you have just the basic skills.
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #9

I hate how this "so called" smartphone thinks it knows which words are in my mind!
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:56 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just repaired mine this fall. Check when you install new one!
The mount for the tank on the MH was 1/8"-3/16" narrower than the mounting ears on the the tank. When tighten down this way it put a lot of pressure on the mounting ears on the tank. Which in time cracked the tank.
Brazed tank and placed 2- 3/8" flat washers under both ears before tightening to relieve pressure on ears.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:40 AM   #11

Good tip Damion. Thank you. Has anyone seen a video on this. Seems like there was one floating around for a while. I have seen one on a 2003 Allegro bus that was pretty similar.

Tags
tank